ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hub shaft CV joint end thing

Right. I am changing my CV boot as I split it when I dropped my shock on it :eek:

I have removed the hub nut, and tried to knock the shaft through the hub but it is 'welded' on there. I haev wacked it with a mallet to protect the threads and the end, and then put the nut back on and whacked it with a claw hammer and its ruined the nut. When winding the ruined nut off I have stripped the end 10mm of threads.

My mechanic friend is adament that with a new nut and grinding down and cleaning up the threads that there are plenty of threads on left to get the nut tight.

Now after all this ruining, I still haven't seperated the splined shaft bit from the hub.

I have nothing to lose now as damage on the end goes, so will try later with a club hammer and brute force potentially needing a new shaft if I totally bugger it up.

Is it common for them to be this stuck on? I have given it some beatings with screwdrivers in the end etc but to no avail.

Well what a pain in the ass this has been!

It took ages of whacking with a huge hammer to get it out. And obviously the ends of the threads were shagged.

Tried to grind it down to good threads, but out of 10 hub nuts from various cars I tried only two would fit, and the threads in both were ruined after much effort to get them to catch on the thread.

I have admitted defeat, and will be replacing the driveshaft.

Would rather do that than bodge a nut on the poor threads and then have issues down the line if a wheel bearing goes or something.

Just need to hear back from Renault now how much the new genuine shaft it.

Fred, A mate of mine works with a 'Renault master tech' and he seems to think a non genuine shaft will do the job, but I have read on here that the non genuines can catch and cause issues.

He seems to think that Renault have in the past fitted non genuines if they didnt have any genuines in stock.

I am reluctant to get a pattern fitted if its gonig to causes issues and would just pay the difference. But he thinks its stupid to pay the extra for a genuine.

Thoughts? Are the non genuines OK?

ph1 172
A reconditioned shaft will be fine and cost roughly £100 with 1 year warranty.

ask your local motorfactors. i.e. unipart