ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HUGHESDOGG's TRACK PH1 172.5

clio 172 ph1
The 2.0 N/A challenge and the Track Day Trophy

Basicially this is what happened.... my group of friends love cars and we always talk about who's the best driver at karting and who builds the best cars etc... one night down the pub i chucked down the challenge to them all.... there's a track day coming up at snetterton 2 months from now... the rules are... you must go out and buy a 2.0l N/a or less car and track prep it for this track day and see who's got it on the tack.. "knowing you cant race on track days lol" after alot of and i mean alot of secret buying and talks between each other these are what people brought...

Clio 172 ph1 silver
Clio 172 ph1 black
Clio 172 ph1 blue
BMW 318i
FTO 2.0
civic coupe b16 type r engine
306 XSI

few pictures of my clio:
DSCF4220.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

Completely stripped the interior.....

so far bought for my car for first track day...

OMP SUBFRAME
OMP SIDE MOUNT
SPARCO bucket seat
SPARCO harness
OMP steering wheel hub
SPARCO steering wheel
Ktec engine mounts
Magnacore leads
Omp struts front and rear

track day came and went......

My car never made it there tho :-( the day before the track day i put the car in to a garage for a oil and filter change and to change the oil pressure sensor and they took it for a test drive and brought it back with piston 3 hanging out the side of the block...

How did this happen you might ask...... i asked the same thing!!
GUTTED.........

lucky for me there was plenty of other cars going and everyone agreed to let me use there's for the day.... the black clio had pretty much the same spec as mine..exhaust, springs etc so all was not lost.

FTO came out quickest at 200 bhp and handled very well..... :-(

just abit quicker in a straight line than the clio but all is not lost.... lol still had the cats fitted and some engine mods up my sleeve ready for the next event..

During our time a snetterton we met a couple of guys LITTLEWOOD RACING in a clio 172..... who race here.... www.trackdaytrophy.co.uk
and due to us not being able to actually race on a track day the new target of the challenge moved to race in this series next year and use the rest of our time to build and prep our cars..do trackdays for testing etc..

I have to say... my choice of car was spot on..... i've totally fallen in love with the little clio and intend on developing her ready for next years race series... (although mine never made it on the track) it was clear there was some areas of which the car need some development and hopefully my knowledge will come in handy...

as for my engine...... i have two options..... first being i may have secured a new botton end for my engine which i pick up next week but fitting is dependent on the state of the head when i get it off... failing that i have already brought a second clio 172....
DSCF4246-1.jpg

this has a recon engine fully documented 50k ago so if i cant fix mine then i'll use this engine and break the rest of the ca.

clio 172 ph1
Soooooo had to get the engine out and find out what happened....

DSCF4252.jpg

DSCF4257.jpg

DSCF4269.jpg

after stripping down the bottom end...... subframe etc and removing the sump....

DSCF4277.jpg

DSCF4278.jpg

after finding this we had to get the engine out.....

DSCF4284.jpg

In the manual for engine removal it never said you would expect to find a dead Armadillo lol

DSCF4283.jpg

at first i had to double check..... so i google'd this

armadillo_dead_a02.jpg

100% genuine dead renualt armadillo !! :rasp::rasp::rasp:

after much laughing 2am...

DSCF4287.jpg

engine then gone to get stripped down.... fingers crossed!

clio 172 ph1
i would say that is a huge heat mark...lol along with everything else....i wonder if he even put oil in it!! lol

the heads totally fooked i have just found out.... so its new engine time!!

:rasp::rasp:

lift number 1 @ btm
That's what I thought.
Proper fucked!

There are quite often engines for sale on here though.

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
Wish i could do stuff like this with my friends!

but you need the FREINDS in the 1st place to do it ;)

damn it daniel bet me to it.

what was the garages comment about your engine going bang?

you dont hang about. looks good

clio 172 ph1
but you need the FREINDS in the 1st place to do it ;)

damn it daniel bet me to it.

what was the garages comment about your engine going bang?

you dont hang about. looks good

Putting your insults to each other a side...lol

Still in talks with the garage about whats happenening but they have given we full access to there workshop to refit new engine.... they offered to refit it but id rather do it myself ;)