ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Humming, but not bearings

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Symptoms are a hum from the rear of the car, starts around 25mph and gets louder and higher pitched with speed. Loudest after accelerating to 70 odd then backing off. It's not bearings as both rear discs just replaced. Checked tyre pressures, and no apparent movement/sounds on front bearings.

Any ideas?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Symptoms are a hum from the rear of the car, starts around 25mph and gets louder and higher pitched with speed. Loudest after accelerating to 70 odd then backing off. It's not bearings as both rear discs just replaced. Checked tyre pressures, and no apparent movement/sounds on front bearings.

Any ideas?

When the rear discs were replaced were the spacers fitted behind them correctly?

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Check the inner edge of your tyres for wear,I've had it a few times over the years,maybe worn rear shocks or wheel alignment

cheers

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks for the suggestions.

When the rear discs were replaced were the spacers fitted behind them correctly?

I don't know, but the noise was the same before the rear discs were changed.

Check the inner edge of your tyres for wear,I've had it a few times over the years,maybe worn rear shocks or wheel alignment

cheers

I'll have a look. The shocks are fairly new, and I don't think there is much adjustment in the alignment on the rear?

check balancing first

Thanks.

I'll head to a local tyre place this morning, check the rear tyres for balance and the wheels for alignment.

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Turned out to be a very strange wear pattern to the offside rear tyre. More than a flat spot, there were undulations on the surface of the tyre. So that's that noise solved I reckon.

Also surprised at wear on the front tyres. The tyre fitter I had asked to put the 2 new tyres on the rear of the car last year, who told me that was the wrong thing to do in their opinion obviously ignored my wishes, and fitted them on the front. So two new Goodyear F1s GSD3s, manufactured in June 2013, now with 5K on them, are at 4-2-4mm and 4-3-4mm. Weird thing is I tend to run them a little under inflated, not over.

So given I need 4 new tyres I can chose something other than F1..

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Common complaint, doesn't matter if premium quality or budget, they all do it and it a tyre fault, see it more on bigger cars like mercs and bmws.

172 Turbo
I've a weird noise and the garage down the road said it might be the tyres as described above, I thought he was winding me up!

172 Cup
Just had exactly this with a set of 3 yr old T1R's - rears were humming like wheel bearings had gone, turned out to be the tyre surface deforming, almost like large blisters.
Glad you sorted it - I was thinking it was going to be rear disc time again!