ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Humming/revolving noise. Sound clip attached

Hi all,

I recently bought a Clio 1.5dci (80bhp) 2003 model. It has just been serviced about a thousand miles ago which I think is the basic oil change oil.

The problem is that I've noticed a humming/revolving sound which is mostly audible over 40mph, or slowing down. Initially I thought it might have been the tensioner belt. Then I thought it could be coming from one of the wheels. I cannot reproduce the sound when parked and revving the engine at the same rpm, and the sound doesn't become more apparent if I stick it in neutral while at 40mph and rev the engine. It only becomes audible depending how fast the car is moving. This why I'm beginning to think its something to do with the wheels (although I'm not technically experienced).

In the clip (only a minute long), it's more noticeable towards the end - .35 onwards. (ignore the crackling, that's the sunroof)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwLiV3LnV-7XYWZfdVdaaHB6Q2M/edit?usp=sharing

Also, is it advisable to get the belts changed? It hasn't been mentioned in the service history, and its covered 111K miles.

Many.
Can't listen ATM, but what your describing sounds exactly like a wheel bearing. Do you think it comes from a particular corner of the car? If so, jack up the car and spin the wheel, also check for movement up/down and left/right on the wheel. If you have play in both directions, it'll be wheel bearing.

Regarding the cambelt and Aux belt, if you doubt it at all, change both. Cambelt kit (Gates IMO) and a genuine Aux belt kit (A/C or not). Its not that hard a job to do with the correct tools and some mechanical knowlegde.

Where abouts are you?

One thing for sure which I don't know is related is the tracking is completely gone. The car steers fine, but when the steering wheel is steering the car straight it is at a slight left slant. I can't tell what corner it comes from and it can't tell in different in noise when turning as its mostly audible over the engine noise at about 30-40+ mph. The car also has a history of a track rod end on both sides which I've come to know is the common problem.

Currently haven't got a jack, but planning to go down to the local garage. Perhaps he can quote me on the belts too.

Are wheel bearing replacements a big job?

I'm in Cambridgeshire