ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hurrah, my piece of **** 182 has a new rattle

Looking for 182
Ok, that noise seems to have gone now. The other noise is still there when driving (mainly accelerating in 2nd and 3rd).

Looking for 182
Sorry to keep bumping my own thread, but I'm sure it is the gear linkage thing as mentioned. I just jacked the car up, put it in second and went underneath. There is loads of movement when in gear and when I moved it around I could easily make it hit something (not sure what, but it was metal and hard) to pretty much mimic the noise I am getting.

So, the problem, I am certain, has been found.

How the hell do I fix it? This is called the gear linkage right? So, I have a loose gear linkage?

Nick, I am down in Sussex on Friday/Sat/Sun do you want me to pop by and have a look at it, save all this guess work lol.

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
LOL you getting more problems by the day, that tapping noise sounds like the carbon canister listen down by the drivers side wheel if you can hear the noise clearly then thats it and thats normal. So one problem sorted.

If you think its that gear link bar wrap something around it like a rag then take it for a drive and see if the noise is there still. Normally if its something rattling vibrating on something you should see signs of marks like rubbing,scrap marks.

And have you defo checked the alternator if your getting a loud buzzing metalic sound around 4k thats when mine was the loudest.

If all else fails, park car in garage pipe of exhaust into car window start engine :rasp:

Evo 8 MR
You've had a new engine fitted and your wanting to sell up because of a rattle?

Some people really do amaze me on here.

On par with supercharging and then selling tbh.

Looking for 182
You've had a new engine fitted and your wanting to sell up because of a rattle?

Some people really do amaze me on here.

On par with supercharging and then selling tbh.

Any comments about selling up and/or killing myself were a joke/sarcasm. I want nothing more than to get this car running properly.

I strongly suspect it's a heat shield - specifically the clip on job that protects the starter motor. If your garage can't find the problem give me a tinkle over the weekend and we'll get to the bottom of it :)

Looking for 182
Will do mate.

Although, is that something I could have a look at myself? If so, where is the starter motor and can I reach it from the top through the engine bay? :D

It's tucked under the exhaust manifold, behind the engine. Yes you can but you need to know what you are looking at, and for gods sake make sure the car has not been driven before poking around for it ;)

Looking for 182
It's in the boot.

Very helpful st3ve. I hope one day when you have a problem I can be equally as helpful.

It's tucked under the exhaust manifold, behind the engine. Yes you can but you need to know what you are looking at, and for gods sake make sure the car has not been driven before poking around for it ;)

Okey dokey, I'll have a look tomorrow (once it's cooled down after the drive home :))

Thanks for your help Tom.

Looking for 182
Well I've sorted some funds out so I'm going to stick a Milltek Cat-Back on there at the end of the month (get paid on the 25th) so I'll get the garage to check EVERYTHING possible to remove all traces of rattles/knocks/ticks/grinding!

I just whacked the stereo up loud today and drove noise free. I do love the car! :)

The noise seemed better today, but a bit more 'grindy' than before. God knows what's going on down there. I just hope the cat is ok as that's the only thing I won't be replacing.

Looking for 182
I thought I'd update this as the problem has finally been fixed; so just in case anyone else has similar symptoms.

I had a Milltek cat back fitted, and this removed the horrible rattle at around 6k revs.

The knocking/rattle on acceleration was there for another month after until a local garage adjusted/refitted the existing engine top mount, lower mount (not sure which one that means), fiddled with some of the heatshield around the exhaust and finally replaced a bracket on the airbox which was apparently missing. Not sure EXACTLY what it was, but it is now fixed and FINALLY my car is running as it should *touch wood*.....and I love it :D