ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hybrid HDD in MBP FYI

Hi.

I'm getting tired of my MBP performance. It's getting quite laggy recently and I'm convinced the HDD is the cause. It had a fresh Lion install not so long ago and I keep it very lean, so I don't feel that the OS is clogging up. So anyway, I don't fancy an SSD in it, because I also want the option of a decent amount of storage. I recently did a test with a friend who has a hybrid drive fitted in his (same model MBP) and his booted up in half the time, and was generally much quicker at everything.

So, Apple rimmers, will THIS drive fit and work ok in a 2009 Core 2 Duo unibody MacBook Pro?

If so, I shall purchase the beast and fresh install Lion on it forthwith. Anything I need to be aware of?

Thank you.

EDIT: It's a 17" model BTW. Not that it matters. Just letting you know how I roll.

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
17"? I'm out.

Isn't there a website that basically tells you what drives etc will fit in where? Sorry I can't be more specific, it's Monday morning and I'm only 33% of the way through my coffee.

Probably mate. I decided to bypass Google on this occasion and ask the Apple Gods of Cliosport.

I shall investigate further.

IMO what's wrong with 17"?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
17" is HUGE, even the 15" felt bulky :eek:

But I've never been a fan of 17" laptops, like having a desktop on your legs, lol. No doubt it a lovely powerful machine though.

Issues Tom? Expand...?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
All about circumstances I guess. I'm a portability kinda guy, if I want to do anything that requires a large screen (whether it be design work or some coding) then it goes onto a desk and into an external monitor. I also plus it into my TV for films :)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Firmware needs updating on some of them, which causes issues. Also it needs to "learn" for a bit before it shows any decent speed increase.

Personally, id stick a big old 5400rpm in and swap out the DVD drive for a decent SSD.

Monaro VXR
What about going for a big internal drive say something around 1TB, and then run a 256GB SSD in the optical bay. Then put the optical bay in an external chassis.

Also 17" FTW, it's not that big in my opinion.

Too much bother. I don't actually need loads of storage. I tend not to keep much data locally. It's just that I would ideally want at least what it already has, and that's not going to happen with SSD. Hence I arrived at the conclusion that a 500GB hybrid is the best solution for me.

It's actually been fine since I posted this thread anyway. Typical. Obviously it would still be quicker with the new drive but I'm not spending out unnecessarily.

Hopefully Apple will unveil a super baller new MBP model in 2012, and then I'll no doubt buy one in emperor-spec anyway.

Monaro VXR
Should have an update in 2012, I mean new IvyBridge based CPU's and new ATI 7000 series GPU's are due in the next few months.

There is also the rumour of a new design for the MBP, which would fit with their cycle for the MBP's. It is due a design change now.

Yeah it's the design change I'm most interested in. I wouldn't upgrade for the sake of different internals. Mine is fine for what I use it for (when it's not lagging lol). Only a swish new case could tempt me into changing.