ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook internal upgrade time

BG 182
Gents i currently run 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo, 4gb ram early 2010 MBP (maybe 2009). I have been reading about the SSD and ram upgrades and it seems the most financially sensible way to refresh my mac with out replacing it.

I have some questions and advice on products if you would:

I use the MBP purely as a storage for iTunes, iphoto and some personal finance spreadsheets and for the odd letter. So its not used hard, My iTunes storage is at 99gb at the moment but im slowly converting films so i could see in the next 6 months it going over 200gb. Total taken up on my mac at present is 150gb

Im thinking i should do the below.....

Buy a 256gb SSD for booting and leave in the HDD in for storage until its gets near full capacity as my storage device, then when i get close to filling the HDD get a 2tb NAS drive, Or just run the SSD and buy a NAS drive in the new year completely doing without the HDD? will i need extra cables if i keep both?

If this is the best thing to do i am going to go for an additional 4gb RAM at the same time.

But what products shall i buy for both SSD and RAM? Samsung, Crucial, Octane, Sandisk, Verbatim? Do you get what you pay for?

Any deals you guys have come across? Quidco cash back best offers?

Thanks
Lewis

Clio 1.2 16V
I'm running a Kingston HyperX 3K 120gb in mine, definitely worth the upgrade! Quite a few out atm the Samsung series ones seem pretty popular so depends on what you're willing to spend. Ebuyers pretty cheap atm (where I got mine from) and they do cash back through quidco.

As for replacing the original drive, how often do you use the optical drive? I took mine out and put the old 500gb HDD in its place and the 120gb SSD in the HDDs old place. Got a USB caddy for the optical drive so I can see use it if I never need it, might be the best solution. You can get the adapter for the MacBook and caddy for under 20 quid on ebay.

RAM aslong as it matches the specs for you MacBook, also id recommend getting 2x 4gb sticks rather than just one 8gb stick.

BG 182
Cheers guys, crucial seems the most popular and I just got a 256gb m4, I didn't realise I'd have to loose the optical drive to keep the hdd though so I won't do that.

Going to order some ram (2 x 4gb) on Thursday and have a go at installing it all next week with a fresh install. I've cleared my hdd already.

Will get a nas in the new year as I do have about 400gb to convert into iTunes so I can have them stream via Apple TV and on ipad etc.

Can't help feel its a bit overkill but I am on it everyday

Suzuki Swift Sport
Let me know how you get on with this set up, im just about to order a new Macbook Pro and looking at putting an SSD in it once I get it.

Thanks

BG 182
Ssd is in and it's great. Feels very sharp, boots and shuts down very quickly. probably a little overkill for the use it gets but nevermind, I'm yet to get 8gb of ram yet. Think I'm gonna go try and source some tomorrow locally and then it'll be complete.

Got a fresh install of lion on aswell which has helped. Just got to copy all my backed up files over now.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
So very very tempted with the M4 256gb SSD in my 2011 MacBook Pro. £160 with the transfer kit, is this a reasonable price?

Tesla MP3 2021
I have just installed the M4 256GB SSD in my Mid 2009 MBP and its superb.

The speed is unreal compared to the HDD.

Everything is a lot quicker, booting up, running apps etc etc. Its definitely worth the upgrade.

Mine has also been running 8GB RAM for a while which helps even further.

Get the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test App - the results for mine was nearly 10 times faster for both read/write!

BG 182
what sort of speeds are you seeing? just so ive got something to compare to. Ive not got my Ram yet and this week have been using my macbook more than normal due to making a playlist for a new years eve party and with 6-7 apps open its really feeling the need for the extra RAM

Tesla MP3 2021
Average around 220MB/s Write and 290MB/s Read.

Before on the HDD was something like 22MB/s Write and 28MB/s Read.

2013 Toyota GT86
I upgraded mine to 8gb RAM (from 2gb) and put a 250gb SSD in. I also upgraded to Mountain Lion. Absolutely flies now. We did have to buy cloning software which was about £30 but it did make the process completely painless.

BG 182
thats about what im getting adam thanks.

Lauren, you shouldnt have had to pay for the cloning software. but at least its done, and what a great upgrade it is

Seat Leon Cupra 290
Sorry to jump on a thread here but it's sort of relevant. I've just bought a new MBP, its just a 500gb non ssd. Is it worth installing a ssd before I start using it as I think in the future I may add one? Does this void a warranty also, I think I read somewhere that adding a new hd and ram doesn't affect the warranty. Thanks