ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I’m back online, with a scratch!!

Hello everyone.

BT only finally installed broadband yesterday after having enabled for the last 2 weeks, (line problems etc..) and tho i have a crap line, i wont go into that now.

Anyway, my lovely new 54 reg oddessy blue clio, not happy!

Car is great, its the owner and the bird sh*t around here!

Me, being the owner wiped some bird sh*t off the car, only to find i have scratched it, pretty much dead centre on the bonnet.

It covers the area roughly of a 2p coin and the scratch is many fine scratches in that area.

Took it to renault and they want £230 for a bonnet re-spray.

They said the scratch is only paint deep, i have gone down to a white layer of something, cant remember what it is called.

CAN I FIX IT??????

Dont wanna pay £230 for that!!

Stuart

sound like it went down to the primer but I cant see how that would happen just by wiping the surface.... I would try polishing the area with a good polish then a natural wax to fill the fine scratches....

yup try the above^^^ first. birds are t**sers they have a habit of eating grit so your best bet is to get a jetwash lance on it or some hot soapy (car shampoo not fairy liquid btw) water on it to try and loosen it and be very gentle if you rub hard youll drag the grit across the paint and effectively turn your sponge into a big sqidgy piece of 50 grit sandpaper :cry:

i will give the above a go later, when it warms up a bit out there!

Primier! thats the one, it went down to that! i cant believe wiping off birdsh*t would do that to the paintwork, nevermind!

Thanks guys, nice to be back on here again!

Punto/Clio GTT

Sounds like your gettin the bonnet painted.. but get some pics up if poss.

Also, if anyone ever has bird crap on their car, get it off ASAP. Bird crap if left on paintwork, even just a few days, will bite through the laquer and paint. The affected area will then have to be took back to bare metal and treated, otherwise it will keep coming through.

FM

Punto/Clio GTT

Also wiping birdsh*t off and going down to the primer is about as likely as hitting 90 in first gear. To me it sounds like renault bullsh*ttin you just to get the bonnet painted and put your money in their pockets. Take it to a local garage and ask if they can flat the scratches out.

Theyll take it down with p1500 or p2000 wetordry flattin paper.. and then mop it back up with G3 or somethin similar.

**Unless the Laquer has been broken it DOES NOT have to be painted**

FM

tis true, bird sh*t needs to come off asap, its very alkali and will easily start to attack most modern waterbased paints if not removed within a couple of hours

Punto/Clio GTT

right from looking at that foto.. it aint brilliant.. but to me that can flat out no problem at all and mop up. i have no idea why the bonnet has to be painted for that. Take it to another garage mate and ask them to flat out those scratches and mop it up. Im sure thede do it for 20 quid or somethin silly.

FM

Megane 225 baby! :)

I did exactly the same thing to the roof of my old Clio (Monaco Blue), got a local dent/scratch company to come out to deal with it - cost me about £100 (did get a few more taken out thou!:oops:) and a few cups of tea! ;)

i used some auto glym super resin polish on it, and some turtle wax:safe cut scratch remover.

got a lot of the scratches out, just the deepest of the lot left now, how should i go about that, anyone got any better products i should try?

Punto/Clio GTT

back sorry, been out for the day, no products will get out the deep scratches, they need flatting down. This is basically rubbing down the the laquer with very very fine sandpaper, it can then be mopped up with some course compound and polished with hand glaze or wax. 8)

FM