ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I’m eighteen, with a bullet!

Rich VTS said:
Good on ya.

I got my '01 Saxo VTS when I was 18, it cost me £2k a year fully comp to insure it in my own name.

I'm 21 now, at it's £800. Lotus Elise coming soon, which'll be £1300 to insure.

Ignore all the crap about you crashing it in a month...I've had the VTS 3 years now, and I've not lost control once. Although I have had two idiots crash into me twice! I have been involved in amateur motorsport since I was 7 though, was doing auto-tests in my own mini at just under the age of 8, so know a fair bit about car control.

Enjoy!

Rich

Elise ! now we're talking.

Has anyone driven one of these babies before? Whats it like compared to clio RS's?

lagerlout1 said:
God you talk sh*te.

The chances are the 172 would be more stable, having more weight. And lol @ bigger spoiler. Must make some serious downforce. lol.

What is your problem? Do you need a w@nk or something. I don't think you've said one constructive thing since joining this forum.

I have a great idea you lemming brained individual. Why don't you read someone's post, add something remotely useful to a conversation and stop pi$$ing everyone off you fag.

Rant over.

HellFire said:
What is your problem? Do you need a w@nk or something. I don't think you've said one constructive thing since joining this forum.

I have a great idea you lemming brained individual. Why don't you read someone's post, add something remotely useful to a conversation and stop pi$$ing everyone off you fag.

Rant over.
Try searching some of his posts before having a cheap dig. Your no better than he is to be fair!

Awesome mate, wish i could have had one when i was at college. Enjoy it while your young, why wait till you have kids and a mortgage to enjoy cars!! :D

Just remember, you never ever "know a road" you only know the conditions last time you drove on it.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Good cars mate, i'm 20 and my insurance if half wat ur payin...Be careful, like people say. And to be fair you lot..."Get a grip" I crashed last yr, was it my fault??!! NO...Roamers a prime example..."Accidents happen!
Enjoy. at 5.5k revs

Racing Blue 182
How dya afford it while you at college?

I work full time to cover my car loan and insurance, must screw ya working part time

EP3 Civic Type R
I had a Nova Gsi at 17 and loved it, treated it well and sold it on mint. It left however, a massive whole in my pocket where it had slowly over the year burned out £1700 on insurance. Biggest mistake i made. Never been in debt and am still not, but i feel like i've been catching it up ever since.

Obviously you've had some "help" buying it, or you've been saving for a trillion years, but insurance is like pissing money up a wall... and 3k on a standard clio is just idiots money.

i pay just under 1k now on a valver at 19 and thats more than enough.

Just look after the car and yourself though, inexperience and the wrong type of road and it could all end in tears. I hope it doesnt though...

nice one fella, enjoy your motor! and like someone said, ignore all the young driver bollox, people are just pissed that you have a car equal to theirs when your younger than they are!

shame that people have to get arsey about your spelling though, like anyone should give a f**k!

Engles Mummy
I got a few jobs on the go;

Part time at All Sports
Free time i work as a tree surgeon
And i indepently sell body kits

My old car + body kit & alloy wheels will cover most of the money spent on the 172, the insurance will only be about £250 a month, which isn't a problem. So it's not a big issue for me to run & insure the car.

You only live once, might as well enjoy it to the fullest!

Here are some pictures -

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/subway172cup/Clio172cup1.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/subway172cup/Clio172cup2.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/subway172cup/Clio172cup3.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality, taken on my phone!

Story so far...

Still haven't got the code for my cd player, not like I need it at the moment with that lovely 2 litre blasting away. It's strange I find myself not blasting it every where now, you see now I know I got the power, I don't feel as keen to show it to everyone. Before I was in a 1.2 lol, I had to prove to everyone I was faster! Now I got performance, I prefer to take it easy and when someone wants it...I will give it to them.

Soon I will get the wobbling sorted, I don't like stopping at 80mph (private road)

Thanks for your replies; i will keep you posted on any changes!

Adam

One with a few more
hmm, do seem to remember something from a moderator

'if you have nothing nice to say,. dont say anything'
odd

think thats a rule now too.....

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
clairesclio said:
Well that was useful advice, hardly

why is it hardly useful advice? he asked what would make it safer, and more experience will predominately be the thing, i wasnt having a dig, as im in the same boat pretty much.

i can understand my short post as seeming sarcastic, but it was meant with the best intentions.

jeez take a chill pill love!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
clairesclio said:
hmm, do seem to remember something from a moderator

'if you have nothing nice to say,. dont say anything'
odd

think thats a rule now too.....

everyone has the right to free speech and i wasnt being derogatory!

Engles Mummy
Nope, the cups don't have an engine cover....part of renaults classic 'weight saving' ideas.

Along with;

- No head rest, no spare tyre, no engine cover, no abs, no aircon, doesn't have much really...but what it lacks in 'pointless crap' it makes up for 'pure driving pleasure'.

ST
Subway said:
Nope, the cups don't have an engine cover....part of renaults classic 'weight saving' ideas.

Along with;

- No head rest, no spare tyre, no engine cover, no abs, no aircon, doesn't have much really...but what it lacks in 'pointless crap' it makes up for 'pure driving pleasure'.

Hmmm for jus a sec or a little less to 60 i'd rather have a 172 with xenons, leather, ABS and AC especially in winter, a cup in standard form is basically a 'expression' with a 2.0 engine IMO.

Nice one fella, enjoy, what I would recommend if you want more grip in the winter months is change the tyres to Michelin Exalto 2's same as is on the 182, the number of people that have been in my 182 and commented on the difference in grip is unreal.

EvoVIII, Gsxr, BMW M3
Bah you lucky b*****d :p, i'm 18 and stuck with a 1.4 mk1 :(. Is that a tennis court in your back garden?.

172 cup
MrAtego said:
Nice one fella, enjoy, what I would recommend if you want more grip in the winter months is change the tyres to Michelin Exalto 2's same as is on the 182, the number of people that have been in my 182 and commented on the difference in grip is unreal.

I have Exalto 2's on my 172 cup and they really are very good tyres. I have more grip in the wet with these than i did with my Pug 306 in the dry with Goodyears.

Ive heard someone describe them as 'excellent in the wet, even better in the dry'. This sums them up.

Yaris Hybrid
How many did we have last winter writing off their Cups? I lost count of the number of threads! This winter is supposed to be really bad so they will be dropping like flies!

I think for an 18 year old the risk of crashing is not always related to how quick the car is. Almost all of my friends crashed their cars between the age of 17 to 21 and they all had old Fiestas and Nova's. They often crashed not because they were going to fast but because they were inexperienced so it was usually going into the back of someone. Some did still crash from going to fast around corners in country lanes etc but we are only talking 40mph or something so you can do that in any car.

I wouldn't recommend a Cup to someone who is 18 not because it is fast but because WHEN you have a silly accident caused by inexperience like going into the back of someone the insurance will go from £3k into orbit and you would have to sell the car. I guess not having ABS just increase the chances of having that type of accident.

MKIII 138
Toypop said:
How many did we have last winter writing off their Cups? I lost count of the number of threads! This winter is supposed to be really bad so they will be dropping like flies!

I think for an 18 year old the risk of crashing is not always related to how quick the car is. Almost all of my friends crashed their cars between the age of 17 to 21 and they all had old Fiestas and Nova's. They often crashed not because they were going to fast but because they were inexperienced so it was usually going into the back of someone. Some did still crash from going to fast around corners in country lanes etc but we are only talking 40mph or something so you can do that in any car.

I wouldn't recommend a Cup to someone who is 18 not because it is fast but because WHEN you have a silly accident caused by inexperience like going into the back of someone the insurance will go from £3k into orbit and you would have to sell the car. I guess not having ABS just increase the chances of having that type of accident.

ABS increases stopping distances, ESP is switchable not for track day lovers but for icey conditions, states in Mercedes manual to turn off ESP when Ice or snow is around.

seen lots and lots of RWD BMW`s last year not being able to go round a junction at ANY speed simply spun 360 !! yet my basic rover 214 went aorund fine and that didnt have any trick electronics

Volvo S60 T5
Nice one Sub, enjoy your car and take it easy.
When I was 18 I had a Montego 1.6 and thought that was fast, how times have changed. LOL

Yaris Hybrid
meggerman said:
ABS increases stopping distances, ESP is switchable not for track day lovers but for icey conditions, states in Mercedes manual to turn off ESP when Ice or snow is around.

seen lots and lots of RWD BMW`s last year not being able to go round a junction at ANY speed simply spun 360 !! yet my basic rover 214 went aorund fine and that didnt have any trick electronics

Most of the people crashing their Cups last year did it on wet slippery roads as remember? Hit the brakes and couldn't steer although there was one young guy that was over taking or doing something silly going up a hill and around a corner or something and had an almighty crash? That sounded like something ESP could have gathered up.

The facts remain though last winter was full of threads about people writing off Cups but very little in the way of 172 or 182 accidents. Could be due to the lack of ABS and ESP or it could be a certain type of person buys a Cup and drives it in a certain way.

I had a 1.6 Montego as well when I started out! Nearly crashed that into the back of someone as it happens! It was also one of those silly inexperienced driver type situations. I had some c*ck in front do something stupid (you know like doing an emergency stop at a roundabout when nothing is coming) so it sort of wouldn't have been my fault but in the eyes of the law it would and you can only avoid those crashes through experience.

I was only doing thirty and wouldn't have been anymore or less likely whether I'd had the Montego or Cup.

Engles Mummy
Thanks for all your replies.

I just washed my car and I am so pleased that it isn't black, my old car was a pain in the arse when he came down to cleaning it, and soon as you take your eye of it, its all dirty again!

I have been out driving a fair bit today, no problems yet, no crashes, and lots of overtaking…but nothing dangerous.

This winter looks to be pretty bad, so it looks like no one will be driving on the road!

Anyone know the safety the rating the cup has?

Adam

ST
Subway said:
Thanks for all your replies.

I just washed my car and I am so pleased that it isn't black, my old car was a pain in the arse when he came down to cleaning it, and soon as you take your eye of it, its all dirty again!

I have been out driving a fair bit today, no problems yet, no crashes, and lots of overtaking…but nothing dangerous.

This winter looks to be pretty bad, so it looks like no one will be driving on the road!

Anyone know the safety the rating the cup has?

Adam

Aye, they were saying on TV that its gonna be one of the coldest winters its been for a good few years?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Subway said:
and lots of overtaking…but nothing dangerous.

That's what concerns me a bit, as I remember what I used to consider safe overtaking I would never attempt now, even with a significantly faster car!

It may honestly be safe overtaking, but with lots of it, all it takes is misjudging the space / speed required once...

Not trying to preach or anything, just showing a bit of concern! Glad you're enjoying it mate. :)

Last edited:
  Half stripped mk2 172
Good luck with yr purchase mate, have fun with it. But tbh honest i dont envy you cause at 18 i had an rx7. Careful driving and you will enjoy it even more!

MKIII 138
Toypop said:
Most of the people crashing their Cups last year did it on wet slippery roads as remember? Hit the brakes and couldn't steer although there was one young guy that was over taking or doing something silly going up a hill and around a corner or something and had an almighty crash? That sounded like something ESP could have gathered up.

The facts remain though last winter was full of threads about people writing off Cups but very little in the way of 172 or 182 accidents. Could be due to the lack of ABS and ESP or it could be a certain type of person buys a Cup and drives it in a certain way.

I had a 1.6 Montego as well when I started out! Nearly crashed that into the back of someone as it happens! It was also one of those silly inexperienced driver type situations. I had some c*ck in front do something stupid (you know like doing an emergency stop at a roundabout when nothing is coming) so it sort of wouldn't have been my fault but in the eyes of the law it would and you can only avoid those crashes through experience.

I was only doing thirty and wouldn't have been anymore or less likely whether I'd had the Montego or Cup.

i only think ABS, ESP helps with inexperienced drivers, cadence braking is possible also.
remember esp is primarily designed for when you have two wheels on a grass verge and two on tarmac limiting power to those of the least grip and balancing power out, also yet esp helps with turning around and object whilst heavy braking. but a good driver always looks way in front and doesnt drive at a crazy speed, if you slam on a 60mph in the cup it would still be hard to invoke a wheel lock but even if you did by the time you have lifted off the break pedal grip would most probably been established again.

people shouldnt rely on electronics to drive fast or use them as a safety blanket, i actually drive slower in my cup as i cant rely on electronics like i did in my 172MKII.

also ESP is crap in the snow/ice its pointless in these condidtions constantly trying to break the wheels and break traction.

so i dont agree that ABS is essencial neither is ESP. unfortuantley its law to have on all modern cars even supercars. its a fact ABS increases stopping distances.

a lot of the fun in the cup is about not having electronics and being more of a pure driving machine, when i had my 172MKII i used to turn off the ESP and weirdly it made me feel a lot less safe yet its only a piece of somputer software trying to deal with real life complex situations. in the cup it feels dangerous which i like

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
i crashed last year not through driving like a c**k but simply had no ABS(locked up at 40) combined with mud on the roads there was no way i was stopping, most of my past cars didnt have ABS and never found it a problem but the cup for some reason is a nightmare in the wet, its like the brakes are too powerful for the road conditions but then some days it feels week, i still dont have confidence in the brakes but you live and learn i suppose,

MKIII 138
lawrence said:
i crashed last year not through driving like a c**k but simply had no ABS(locked up at 40) combined with mud on the roads there was no way i was stopping, most of my past cars didnt have ABS and never found it a problem but the cup for some reason is a nightmare in the wet, its like the brakes are too powerful for the road conditions but then some days it feels week, i still dont have confidence in the brakes but you live and learn i suppose,

thats a fair point the cup is a handful in the wet so much more difficult to drive normal speeds yet other none performance cars i have driven are fine ? i imagine light rwd cars like elises are a problem too

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I always hated the learn from others mistakes posts but if it helps.

172/182/Cups alike are all tail happy, and can easily catch you out BE CAREFULL
Drive to the conditions of the road, no-one is saying dont enjoy your car, just know when its the right time and when its not.
Under heavy breaking at high speeds the clios can squirm quite a bit, carefull of that also.

And listen to what the others said about Cups and ABS, i dont care what bullshit the others make up fact is if you have a Cup and its winter time, start granny shifting and taking it easy !