ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I’m eighteen, with a bullet!

Sinclair C5
I apologise if this has already been posted,

I personally find it disgraceful that an insurance company will insure you for £3000 a year. By doing this they are admitting you are a major liability on the public highway so to protect their risk they charge you a very large premium.

I know we are only talking about a Clio (that is mildly sporty on the grand scale of things) but at 18 years old 99% of drivers cannot possibly have the experience to drive correctly nor the relevant responsibily required.

I would love to see a similar age restriction bought in on cars as there is on motorbikes, say until you are 21/22 you cannot drive anything over a 1200cc car.

by the way, i'm 29 ;-)

ST
You have a point there mate....though if someone can justify paying over £1500 to insure a clio thats up to them IMO...personally i wouldn't pay over £1500 to insure a clio as i'm only paying £1240 a year on my 182 at 21 which isn't bad considering i was paying £930 for my 1.2 16v Dynamique....

Sinclair C5
16vClio said:
You have a point there mate....though if someone can justify paying over £1500 to insure a clio thats up to them IMO...personally i wouldn't pay over £1500 to insure a clio as i'm only paying £1240 a year on my 182 at 21 which isn't bad considering i was paying £930 for my 1.2 16v Dynamique....

Thats my point though mate, I don't think it should be up to them, surely it should be based on risk assessment rather than your bank balance.

How come a 17 year old can't ride a GSXR1000 on the road but they could a Maclaren F1 if they have a fat enough wallet, wrong. IMO of course ;-)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
warine_warrior said:

I personally find it disgraceful that an insurance company will insure you for £3000 a year. By doing this they are admitting you are a major liability on the public highway so to protect their risk they charge you a very large premium.

I know we are only talking about a Clio (that is mildly sporty on the grand scale of things) but at 18 years old 99% of drivers cannot possibly have the experience to drive correctly nor the relevant responsibily required.

I would love to see a similar age restriction bought in on cars as there is on motorbikes, say until you are 21/22 you cannot drive anything over a 1200cc car.

by the way, i'm 29 ;-)

i had mine since i was 18. never had a bump touch wood,i drive that car hard, age can not used to discriminate drivers, there are people who jsut cant drive, and people who can, if the goverment put a restriction to 1200cc, as if anyone under 21 will drive only under a 1200cc. that would just promt me to drive with out insurnace

no way im i more of a risk than a 30year old in a 172! why would a 30 year old buy a 172 ? because they like the looks and biuld quality......no there good fun hot hatchs, with people drive hard.

warine_warrior said:

by the way, i'm 29 ;-)

I agree actually, I drove 1.2s until I was 22 then stepped straight up to a Cup, had I got the Cup straight away I think I would have written it off within 2 years. You do make mistakes (everyone does) especially in the first few years so anything to reduce the risk from those mistakes has got to be a good thing. Its not just their own lives people need to worry about, its peds and other road users too.

An engine cc restriction is interesting, 1500cc or something for the first two years would be good but then you are taking away the option of many reasonably slow economical diesels, maybe restricting it by insurance group rating could be the way to solve it?

Remapped derv Golf
We'll all being robbed no matter how old we are!!!

I think its disgraceful that a 1.8t GTi or Cupra cost as much for me to insure as a Cup!

I work in insurance I know what a big con it is!

Beetle
warine_warrior said:

by the way, i'm 29 ;-)
:boring: Fetch my pipe and slippers.
were not all irresponsbile young t***s who hang around in maccy d's with our crew doing burnouts and buying chips from ebay for £2.99 to add an extra 50bhp.
I personally find it disgraceful that people like yourself can be so small minded as to want to put a limit on what engine size a person can have until they are a certain age. I hope you realise there's just as much if not more older irresponsible t***s on the road that are over the age of 30.
Who are you to judge how capable somebody is of handling a car, once again somebody who is much older can still be a s**t driver, somebody could do 20k a year and still not know how to react on the road to certain conditions and situations.
A further point is that somebody who is willing to pay that much insurance money and the purchase cost of the car is going to be a lot more careful how they drive and treat the car than somebody of the same age with a shitty old fiesta xr2i that they bought for £250.
I'm sick of people being sterotypical, trying to discriminate against people and labelling everybody as the same.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

should you drive your car guy?
warine_warrior doesnt seeem to think so?

Liquid yellow 182
I sense some real anger from some of you on this topic!! Yes, the lad's 18 years old, but it doesn't automatically make him a liability! The worrying types on the road for me, are those young kids that drive round on them bloody mopeds at 16 years old!! There's masses of them around my area - less protected, less visable, and far more suseptable to any sort of danger.

You enjoy the car love, just be sensible...remember how much money you've invested in this little beauty and don't throw it away (or wrap it around a tree!!) ;)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Scott-16v! said:
were not all irresponsbile young tw*ts who hang around in maccy d's with our crew doing burnouts and buying chips from ebay for £2.99 to add an extra 50bhp.
I personally find it disgraceful that people like yourself can be so small minded as to want to put a limit on what engine size a person can have until they are a certain age. I hope you realise there's just as much if not more older irresponsible tw*ts on the road that are over the age of 30.
Who are you to judge how capable somebody is of handling a car, once again somebody who is much older can still be a sh*t driver, somebody could do 20k a year and still not know how to react on the road to certain conditions and situations.
A further point is that somebody who is willing to pay that much insurance money and the purchase cost of the car is going to be a lot more careful how they drive and treat the car than somebody of the same age with a sh*tty old fiesta xr2i that they bought for £250.
I'm sick of people being sterotypical, trying to discriminate against people and labelling everybody as the same.

well said. love to get him on the track

Fair play but you must have a screw loose or no sense of value to pay over £3000 pounds a bloody year!

What's the excess on these policies?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
engine restriction idea is good in someways but bad in others, i know i would rather be in a 172 with a 18yr old who knows about cars rather than someone who doesnt have a clue how a car will and can react but just likes to go fast (such as my dad who has been driving for 20 years but doesnt have a clue about car handling and will brake hard when going round a corner fast or lift off going round a corner fast and get liftoff oversteer!)

Clio 172 mk2
I'm not going to be abusive etc but spending £250 a month to insure a car is just plain madness.

Your choice though.

GuyS said:
better brakes = lock up easier + no abs + taught to pump the brake pedal in the event of locking up = safe stop.

all this crap about no ABS makes me laugh! pump the pedal, same effect!

i do agree that power output should be limited dependant on age, no point doing it on engine size, as 1.2 + turbo = silly power still.

but if the boy wants to pay the money......!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Neil G said:
I'm not going to be abusive etc but spending £250 a month to insure a car is just plain madness.

Your choice though.
lol mine has been 370 per month for the last 6, but not anymore as its through the company

ben_p said:

should you drive your car guy?
warine_warrior doesnt seeem to think so?

ive been on the road 3 years. my first car was a 1.1 for a year, then it went to a 1.6 engine, then 1.6 plus n2o, now ive got a 182 so over 3 years ive built up the performance and got used to them all.

i wouldnt complain at having resitrictions on engine performance (not sizes as some 1.3 turbos are fast i.e. starlet etc!) if it meant having cheaper insurance overall.

should go on experience really.. like first year of driving up to 70bhp then second year up to 110bhp then third year up to 150bhp 4th year up to 250 etc.

as a 25 year old with a first car of a 182 is just as much of a danger as a 19 year old with a 182 as a first car.

i cant see it happening personally in any way at all as people would still drive round illegally just as they do now. or people would buy a 1.2 stick a 2.0 engine in and not declare it. simple.

theres a lad on another car club forum who had a 1.4 car for a year then his dad went and bought him an e46 bmw m3 convertible at 18 years of age.
i personally think thats very irresponsible of a parent to do that! a) he wont appreciate the value of the car so wont drive it the same way he would if he had a 6 year loan on it. and b) 350+bhp through the rear wheels is gonna be lethal!

but then ive always had to pay for my cars in full, insurance, tax, mot's, servicing, repairs, mods etc myself with my hard earned £ so i will have these views.

If it was bhp limited, people would go and buy the lightest cars!

If people can afford let them, most companies have age restrictions on most cars anyway.. I started with the biggest engine of my freinds, doesn't mean I was most likely to crash...!

Racing Blue 182
Scott-16v! said:
were not all irresponsbile young tw*ts who hang around in maccy d's with our crew doing burnouts and buying chips from ebay for £2.99 to add an extra 50bhp.
I personally find it disgraceful that people like yourself can be so small minded as to want to put a limit on what engine size a person can have until they are a certain age. I hope you realise there's just as much if not more older irresponsible tw*ts on the road that are over the age of 30.
Who are you to judge how capable somebody is of handling a car, once again somebody who is much older can still be a sh*t driver, somebody could do 20k a year and still not know how to react on the road to certain conditions and situations.
A further point is that somebody who is willing to pay that much insurance money and the purchase cost of the car is going to be a lot more careful how they drive and treat the car than somebody of the same age with a sh*tty old fiesta xr2i that they bought for £250.

Agreed, i drive better than lots of my mates who are in there early and late 20's, its all about the driver age has nothing to do with it. Some people on here piss me off

3000GT_PILOT said:
all this crap about no ABS makes me laugh! pump the pedal, same effect!

i do agree that power output should be limited dependant on age, no point doing it on engine size, as 1.2 + turbo = silly power still.

but if the boy wants to pay the money......!

hahahahahahahah hows your white stick??
did you even read his post..

he asked how he could make his car safer to drive in the wet - better brakes?

i simply stated that better brakes would cause the car to lock up easier and without ABS and experience id say they would make it considerably more dangerous. and wouldnt be a wy of making the cup safer to drive in the wet.

most driving schools nowadays have ABS in their cars.. i never knew how to stop a car when it looked up without abs.. he just said 'you just let off if it locks up and hasnt got ABS then re apply' but was never practically shown that as i learnt in a car with ABS. but i guess your pretty old considering, you drive a 3000gt, so you wouldnt know that.

Golf GTI 1.8T
thats actually a very good idea Guy, as with bikes if your under 21 you are resticted (legally) to ride a bike with a power output of 25kW or less (33bhp) for 2 year, then you have full access to any power bike...

A similar thing with cars would be good, but would also be very annoying for people that can afford a nice powerfull car at a young age. If I'd won the lottery @ 17 I wouldn't want to be in something less than 150bhp lol

There must be a reason why it's expensive to insure 18 yr olds!

I have a friend who is 18 and will be racing in the British Formula 3 championship this year - he can drive better than anyone I know because he has experience.

He is in the MINORITY!

The MAJORITY of 18 year old's will be more likely to be involved in accidents - there's no argument against it as it's been proved time and time again!

Golf GTI 1.8T
Yep because most of them are t***s and drive accordingly. I'm the only one out of my close group of friends who hasnt even had a accident, let alone write off a car!! :D I consider myself a good driver/rider for my age, think it came with being on the road on my ped at 16 and getting early road experience :)

Beetle
What about all the old duffers then? Should they have their licences taken off them at 60, they're a liability just the same. What about people driving on motability? Should they even be allowed to drive?
There's too much stereotyping from insurance companies but its not going to change, they're legal theives and will try their best to get as much £££ out of you as they can.
I realise some 18 year olds are a risk but so are all ages of drivers, it pee's me off when i drive for a living and make sure that i'm a responsible driver, ive got plenty of experience for my age as ive done over 30k within 18 months of passing my test. But i'm still a bad driver because i'm young:S
The key to having a fast car (at any age) is knowing when to use the power, how to handle the power, what to do if something goes wrong, and the capability to learn if you do make a mistake. If you're not capable of those then you're not ready for a 'fast' car.

Remapped derv Golf
Plenty of 30+ w*nkers with company BMW's that drive like c**ts!

My cousin had an Evo 2 at 19 and never put a foot wrong. Although he is a racing driver.

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
Yeah i was 18 when i got my Cup aswell an i went with bell :) accept all it seems at a cost :) but i guess if u pay enough anyone will accept you :) i know some one whos 18 an drives an SLR Mclaren and got it 2 weeks before there 17th :) wonder what his insurance is like for a car that cost £315,000 with lots of power :)

Does not matter what age if u got money to burn.. burn it :0 an have fun u only live once :)

Subway said:
After a year of searching & waiting for the right cup to buy, finally the right one came around. Picked her up this morning, I absolutely love it!

It's an 04 Jan, 53 reg, 8k miles, perfect condition, nothing wrong with it. It drives superbly and handles brilliantly.

The car i had before was a 1.2 16v, so it's a huge leap up in driving performance. I have found the car very easy to drive, fast & slow. Obviously haven't got use to it yet so will be taking it easy round the corners.

If anyone who is 18 and wants one, go to bell insurance, very cheap and they don't laugh down the phone; when you tell them your age!

two miner problems -

1. Over 85mph (on private road) car starts to shake pretty bad, you can really feel it in the steering wheel, going to get that checked out this week.

2. Anyone know the CD player code lol? New battery has been put in and reset a few things.

But apart from that, car is fan-f*cking-tastic! I love every part of it, sound, looks, handling and of course the performance!

Anyone who is looking to get one, don't hesitate to buy it...its sooo worth it!

Thanks all, Adam

(pictures i will put up tomorrow, but i am sure you all got an idea of what it looks like lol)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
lol, a lad who lives near my sister, is 17 n he has a f430, was watching him park it at the wine bar the other nite,, took him 20mins lol

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
Yeah lo but its so unfair, i only seen this SLR twice... been in it once :) got to 160mph :> good it felt soo good :) his friends drive lambos, 911's etc :|

Good i wish i had a f430 so i could spend 20mins parking it :) i would not mind :p would you?

(but i wud prefer an SLR but cost 3 * as much an sounds like a plane!)

ben_p said:
lol, a lad who lives near my sister, is 17 n he has a f430, was watching him park it at the wine bar the other nite,, took him 20mins lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
to be honest even if i won the lottery i wouldnt buy anything like an F430 or SLR, somthing like a 1.6 for a year thats still resonably nippy then after a year get a 2.0 then work your way up.

Golf GTI 1.8T
errr dont think so, 2.0 is bugger all power compared to a lot of cars out there let alone a 1.6. not saying go crazy and get a ferrari, just something comfortably fast, and tbh if you've got traction control abs & esp you are gonna be pretty safe in any car.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Martin_89 said:
to be honest even if i won the lottery i wouldnt buy anything like an F430 or SLR, somthing like a 1.6 for a year thats still resonably nippy then after a year get a 2.0 then work your way up.
lol yer right, 20mil in the bank n ud buy a 1.6 golf or summet lol

BMW 320d SE
Engine restrictions by age would just be another prime example of Nanny State medling. Why can't people be free to decide what's right for themselves, rather than have unfair restrictions and limits placed upon them?