ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I’m eighteen, with a bullet!

Engles Mummy
After a year of searching & waiting for the right cup to buy, finally the right one came around. Picked her up this morning, I absolutely love it!

It's an 04 Jan, 53 reg, 8k miles, perfect condition, nothing wrong with it. It drives superbly and handles brilliantly.

The car i had before was a 1.2 16v, so it's a huge leap up in driving performance. I have found the car very easy to drive, fast & slow. Obviously haven't got use to it yet so will be taking it easy round the corners.

If anyone who is 18 and wants one, go to bell insurance, very cheap and they don't laugh down the phone; when you tell them your age!

two miner problems -

1. Over 85mph (on private road) car starts to shake pretty bad, you can really feel it in the steering wheel, going to get that checked out this week.

2. Anyone know the CD player code lol? New battery has been put in and reset a few things.

But apart from that, car is fan-f*cking-tastic! I love every part of it, sound, looks, handling and of course the performance!

Anyone who is looking to get one, don't hesitate to buy it...its sooo worth it!

Thanks all, Adam

(pictures i will put up tomorrow, but i am sure you all got an idea of what it looks like lol)

MKIII 138
car shaking ?? hmmm does it have different than standard wheels on ? if so it could be buckled alloy when wheel weighting, also its almost certainley incorrect camber you need to get that sorted straight away, my cup is much more stable than my MKII172 i had before it and so it should be with bigger spoiler , lowered, and wider track, with no ABS/Traction a miss aligned cup will be a nitemare in the coming months of ice and snow..

congrats on the purchase youl love it, im loving it and my last car was a 172 full fat

A fast car at a very young age and a big jump from what you are used to.

I had a 205gti when I was 18 after owning a mini and I managed to keep it on the tarmac but you need to treat it with respect take it easy especially with winter round the corner.

How much was the insurance out of interest?

Lionel Richie
Subway said:
After a year of searching

perfect condition, nothing wrong with it. It drives superbly and handles brilliantly.

two miner problems -

1. Over 85mph (on private road) car starts to shake pretty bad, you can really feel it in the steering wheel, going to get that checked out this week.

not really a minter then!!

Engles Mummy
It's under my name; I got 1 year no claim, paying just over 3k which works out about 250 a month; which is fine for me as I am working and I can afford it, so I couldn't care less if I am paying that amount because the enjoyment I get out of it, is so so soooo so so sooo worth it!

I am going to get that problem checked out at my local garage; hopefully it will be nothing major. It has standard wheels; tyres are fine, a little bit of rub when i go full lock to the right, on the driver’s side.

I am not too worried about it, it will be fixed and my cup will soon be sorted. Plus i don't really fancy doing 85mph + at the moment in it!

There are just no words to describe how much fun it is, end of the day its only money and the most important thing is, it puts a huge smile on your face!

VaVa
Wait until the cold weather comes. On average one a week, and that's only what gets posted on here.

Fantastic cars, but dangerous in the hands of an unexperienced driver.

£250 a month on insurance!! you must be mad!!! :eek: :eek:

Nice one mate, bet your the envy of all your 18 year old mates! Wish I had a cup @18, there again I probably would have wrapped it round a lamp post!! Be careful mate, espec in the wet....v v dodgy

VaVa
meggerman said:
car shaking ?? hmmm does it have different than standard wheels on ? if so it could be buckled alloy when wheel weighting, also its almost certainley incorrect camber you need to get that sorted straight away, my cup is much more stable than my MKII172 i had before it and so it should be with bigger spoiler , lowered, and wider track, with no ABS/Traction a miss aligned cup will be a nitemare in the coming months of ice and snow..

congrats on the purchase youl love it, im loving it and my last car was a 172 full fat

God you talk shite.

The chances are the 172 would be more stable, having more weight. And lol @ bigger spoiler. Must make some serious downforce. lol.

3K!!!

In two years of ownership you would of paid more in insurance than its worth!

Fook that!

how much insurance? :eek:

you know you can nearly buy a Mk1 172 each year for the same money the insurance costs on your cup lol

Engles Mummy
Thanks, yea I am going to take it easy in the weather, i maybe like going fast from time to time but I am not a dangerous drive. I live pretty far in to the country side, so i got lots of empty roads and places where I can safely go fast and not endanger anyone.

Even in my 1.2 I went very slowly in the wet, so I will go even slower in the cup. I don't see myself crashing in it though, yea it’s a fast car but it’s a very controllable car plus I am pretty scared going fast in the corners so it will take me a fair while to get use to the handling of it.

A few of my m8s know I got one, took them for a spin and they loved it. As I go part time college, I got a lot of friends there who still think I got the 1.2 16v bad boy, will be funny when they see me pull up in the cup.

To make the cup safer to drive in the wet, what would any of you recommend? Better breaks?

Adam

Subway said:
If anyone who is 18 and wants one, go to bell insurance, very cheap and they don't laugh down the phone; when you tell them your age!

thats because they saw the £££ they were getting lol

Engles Mummy
As i said, don't care about the price - Only money, i rather have a huge smile on my face then just save up!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
good work fella, i am sure you will be careful.

i don't recommend bigger brakes.

i recommend a book called 'roadcraft' buy it , read it, digest it and drive by it.

enjoy! :)

A slow one :-(
Mate I'd still be well careful in the wet. I've had my cup 3 weeks and drove it in the wet for the first time at the weekend. It properly shook me up how easily it aquaplanes! I'm not looking forward to this winter! Mind you im driving mine like a *****. Getting 38.5mpg out it if the computers anything togo by!

Any how enjoy ownership of the beast, it will take alot of taming!

Audi TT 225 Quattro
To make the cup safer to drive in the wet, what would any of you recommend? Better breaks?

Adam[/QUOTE]

just go easy on the go-faster pedal, leave urself space from other cars, u should be fine. don't worry about not having abs, loads of cars have'nt got it and they still stop ok ( as long as u know what to do if the wheels start to lock:S )

320d
People drove for years without ABS in all weathers its just simply about respecting the conditions and driving to suit which alot of people don't do

Just tootle about in the wet and enjoy what the car can do in the dry respectfully

One small moment of madnass could injure you and or others not to mention be the end of the car along your chances of getting insured on anything 'quick' for many years to come

Not having a go just thinking back to many 'i've just crashed my car' threads over the last winter period... alot of which were Cups

S2000
Bell are good - as I've been saying a lot on here over the past few weeks. I haven't had anyone else come close to them for quotes.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
enjoy it.

as said above though. be reet careful.

hmm, 3k insurance!...no wonder they were so nice on the phone. saw you coming, waving the group 16 @ 18yrs flag.

Remapped derv Golf
£3k insurance for a fecking clio!

JONGSR4 was paying £1800 for a Lancer Evo 2 when he was 19 with 1 yrs ncb. How things have changed!

I'm pretty sure Frosty was only paying £1700 ish when he was 18/19 for his Cup.

Try better tyres for the wet. Conti's are crap!

and I thought my £600 was steep!

Good Luck mate. Get some pictures up!

GOLF GT TDI
my mate used to have a clio 1.2 16v and just brought a Seat leaon Coupra 1.8 turbo :| its not fair :(:(

Audi TT 225 Quattro
Adamf said:
£3k insurance for a fecking clio!

JONGSR4 was paying £1800 for a Lancer Evo 2 when he was 19 with 1 yrs ncb. How things have changed!

I'm pretty sure Frosty was only paying £1700 ish when he was 18/19 for his Cup.

Try better tyres for the wet. Conti's are crap!

and I thought my £600 was steep!

Good Luck mate. Get some pictures up!

just what i was thinking m8, was'nt to long ago, well 5 years ago that i was 18 i paid £1300 to insure my first car a mk1 uno turbo (gp12ins;) ) , i know a cup is 16 but i doubt it would of jumped more than £300, seems to have doubled to ins car now. all i can say is what ever u do only claim if really ness as building no claims is the key to cheep ins, now payin £350 to ins the valver

Engles Mummy
Thanks all for your replies and care. Pictures will be up tomorrow, will be taken on my phone so don't expect fabulous quality!

Just been for a drive in it, f**king love that thing! Shame I have to slow down at 70mph, because after that the car starts to shake! But I guess it's a good thing, gives me time to get use to the low range performance.

Now I understand why they are known as the 'best hot hatch ever', f**k me I still can't believe I got it! When the winter comes I will take it nice and easy and once in a while when a sunny day comes, Ooooo I can't wait!

Glad your happy with your cup subway - just go easy in it.
3k insurance though - ouch !! still if you can afford it why not !!!

BMW E46 330i Touring
As said above, there is never a 'good' wet road to test the performance of the car... it's just not worth risking it IMHO.

Have fun though and please, please, please don't act like the majority of 17/18 year old drivers with relatively quick/modded cars... :)