ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I’m eighteen, with a bullet!

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
Fred2001Dynamic said:
there was a dodgy batch of batterys on the 53 plates IIRC

never heard that before mines a 53 havnt had a problem surly if it was common renault would replace it,plus cant go over 70 why would you take to a local garage it would go back to renault

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
congrats mate, about time eh, like everyone says be careful in the wet, anyway ill see you round mine during the week for a few driving lessons hehehe oh yeah and air filter is off my car ready for your beast

172 cup
Enjoy the car. Best way to keep it in one piece is to just drive sensibly when the conditions warrant it. Dont pay too much attention to the 'no abs = crashed cup' bullshit that you hear from certain folk on this forum. 99% of those are people driving like t***s who would most likely crash their cars whatever they were driving.

£250 a month on insurance tho?! Thats a lot. My girlfriend freaked when i told her mine is £80 a month on my cup.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
ive experienced subways driving first hand and have to admit for an 18yr old let loose on the roads he does drive exceptionally well, not cocky like the usual young lot you get with the added bonus all his time and money is/has gone onto this i dont think he will wanna reck this beast in a rush, few trackdays adam!!! actually get your mofo arse down santa pod so we can race

172 cup
At the end of the day age doesnt always make a difference. Granted you dont have as much experience, but you get a lot of 25+ drivers who drive like idiots.

Monaco 172 2/468
Glad your loving your new car mate, 3k is a stupid amount for insurance, but you would struggle to spend the money on something that would give you that same cheeky grin everytime you drive it. You sound sensible, saying that you dont plan to crash is a bit naive though, be careful, and enjoy !!!

Hope you get the wobbling sorted soon, that can't be fun :(

Audi TT 225 Quattro
wobbling sounds like it could be balancing, do tracking at the same time cost about £35 from somewhere like elite

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Subway said:
Thanks, yea I am going to take it easy in the weather, i maybe like going fast from time to time but I am not a dangerous drive. I live pretty far in to the country side, so i got lots of empty roads and places where I can safely go fast and not endanger anyone.

Even in my 1.2 I went very slowly in the wet, so I will go even slower in the cup. I don't see myself crashing in it though, yea it’s a fast car but it’s a very controllable car plus I am pretty scared going fast in the corners so it will take me a fair while to get use to the handling of it.

A few of my m8s know I got one, took them for a spin and they loved it. As I go part time college, I got a lot of friends there who still think I got the 1.2 16v bad boy, will be funny when they see me pull up in the cup.

To make the cup safer to drive in the wet, what would any of you recommend? Better breaks?

Adam
Better breaks? studying english at college?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Good luck mate.

I learn to drive in my valver at 17 (even had a few cheeky goes in it while i was 16!) Now after 7 months of driving i'm fine. I don't have ABS either.

Your insurance is terrible though. You could buy a 170bhp hybid for that and have far more fun. Then again you may not be into hardcore driving.

Either way your paying less than my mate who has an R34 Skyline at 18. His insurance is £7800. (He was given £40k for a car after him mum won the lottery so he spent £32k on a skyline and the rest insuring it. God knows what he'll do come renewal time)

Monaro VXR
his renewal prolly wont be that bad. If he gets with same company due to him being insured on it a year without harm already.

But thats the same roughly as i got quoted on a vee at 22. mainly due to most companies turning me down within 5 minutes when i say its not parked at my address but on the streets in central manchester.

Half of the online quote simply said cant insure unless parked at owners address.

Slightly hard i live on the 6th floor.

Monaro VXR
but i am jealous of the 182 18 with a 182 lucky lucky b*****d!

im 22 and they still wanted nearly £4k from me with 1 yrs no claims. Had i moved back home woulda been a lot less but ah well.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
:banghead:im 22 with a cup, 2 years no claims, 1 accident 3 points, 906 pa for insurance. £3k?

Christ on a bike :banghead:

Clio 172 (flame red)
Make a cup safer in the wet.... umm add anti-lock brakes, air conditioning, thicker windows, leather seats..... lol

Only joking hope you enjoy it squire!

yeecup said:
Better breaks? studying english at college?

Capital S for a new sentence Yeecup.

Give this guy a break, at least he hasn't bought a 1.2 and blown 10k on a daft bodykit!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
172 Cup's are not the reason there are so many write offs...it's the drivers.

The best way to make a 172 Cup safer in the wet, is to modify your own driving style, slow everything down, look as far ahead as possible, and know that the unexpected can, and often does, happen. That way when it does happen...you're prepared for it.

Enjoy your Cup mate, and I hope you survive the winter unscathed.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
good on you mate, wish it was me that had one! (maby next year :D)

i dont see the problem in paying £3k for insurance, beacuse your only 18 and its a really fast car, i got quoted £3k the other day by elephant for my 1.2 16V! (then norwich union quoted me £1,100) you earn money to spend it so why not spend it on somthing that makes you grin :D:D

182 and 5 GTT
3k for insurance is stupid. Im 19. I have driven a 1.2 since i passed my test. I have my own policy and 2 years no claims. Im getting either a cup or 182 next month and insurance is £1660. Why not just wait and build your no claims?

One with a few more
I know someone spending 2500 on insurance on a 206 1.4. Doesnt seem to expensive to me after knowing that! No extra power to car, just a few modifications

BMW 328 Ci
Clio sports are just so bloody expensive to insure. I went off buying one when I found out what cars you could get for the same/less

MKIII 138
lagerlout1 said:
God you talk sh*te.

how rude lol ^ well ive owned both and the cup feels a lot more stable, it stands to reason with wider track and lowered suspension over a 172MKII and if spoilers + splitters didnt do anything then why would they have even been invented at all ??
ahh the argument that the cup wont use down force ?? every car uses a percentage of down force even though not doing F1 speeds, im sure even a small brained pleb like yourself with accept that at 120mph the higher lift spoiler on the cup (its not just fatter) will add a good degree of down force.

VaVa
meggerman said:
how rude lol ^ well ive owned both and the cup feels a lot more stable, it stands to reason with wider track and lowered suspension over a 172MKII and if spoilers + splitters didnt do anything then why would they have even been invented at all ??
ahh the argument that the cup wont use down force ?? every car uses a percentage of down force even though not doing F1 speeds, im sure even a small brained pleb like yourself with accept that at 120mph the higher lift spoiler on the cup (its not just fatter) will add a good degree of down force.

The spoilers are 99% cosmetic. I have a Cup splitter, Cup Spoiler and Cup turinis giving me the wider track. I can't say I've noticed any difference in stability. lol.

Surely a small brained pleb like you can appreciate that weight will also aid stabilty?

When you had a 172 it was the best car in the world. Now you have a Cup it's the best car in the world. Chances are if you bought a Fiat panda it would be the best car in the world.

Well I disagree. So ner. :clown:

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yep i agree the spoiler is cosmetic, my 1.2 16V with no rear spoiler doesnt feel less stable than my mates 1.2 16V dynamique with a rear spoiler even at 100mph+ LOL

just like opening my sun roof doesnt give me any more downforce :D:D

MKIII 138
lagerlout1 said:
When you had a 172 it was the best car in the world. Now you have a Cup it's the best car in the world. Chances are if you bought a Fiat panda it would be the best car in the world.

Well I disagree. So ner. :clown:

lol pmsl ^^ true i did used to think my 172MKII was great, maybe not the best car as i have access to audi`s + mercs quite frequently but now i have the cup i pit it against a lambo and win muahaha...

still think spoilers count, why do STI`s have them ? they do 140/150mph also and many have comented on how compare with standard wrx they add stability at highspeed

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
lol nice one ma8, im 18 with a 172, im through bell too on ma own, 3.7k, cozi got 3 points, fpff

BMW 320d SE
Most spoilers do nothing to aid downforce. Most cars on the roads today actually create lift - not downforce! Some cars do have spoilers that aid stability at high speed by adding a small amount of downforce, just to keep the back-end on the road (Audi TT prime example), but on a Clio, I'm afraid it's cosmetic. If you want downforce, get a Formula 1 car! :D

P.S. Good luck with the motor matey ;)

a cup at 18, well done my son, if you can afford 3k insurance why not.... i just turned 25 and my williams insurance is now 380 quid lol

have fun in it boyo, waste all the boyracers ;-)

Racing Blue 182
I got my 182 when i was 18, im 19 now. Dont worry m8, you bound to get all this s**t about you being a young driver, and therefore you will crash.

Its bullshit, i drive better than people i know who are a lot older, its like saying a blonde drives better than sum1 who is bald, its all about the person not the age.

Drive sensibly n you will be fine.

'01 Saxo VTS + '79 1275GT
Good on ya.

I got my '01 Saxo VTS when I was 18, it cost me £2k a year fully comp to insure it in my own name.

I'm 21 now, at it's £800. Lotus Elise coming soon, which'll be £1300 to insure.

Ignore all the crap about you crashing it in a month...I've had the VTS 3 years now, and I've not lost control once. Although I have had two idiots crash into me twice! I have been involved in amateur motorsport since I was 7 though, was doing auto-tests in my own mini at just under the age of 8, so know a fair bit about car control.

Enjoy!

Rich