ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I finally got a Clio!!!

S2000

Ive just been to the car auction and bought myself an N-reg 1.4 RT (in Naples Red). I got it for about £500 and its on about 66,000 miles. The car is pretty much rust free which is a big bonus. There are a few problems with it though. Those that I know of are only minor ones just now but I have a few other worries. One of the wipers is broken - I the motor is fine but there is only the metal support for the wiper but I can get that from the scrappy easily enough I would think. There are a few wee car park dings but they are to be expected I suppose. The bonnet is a bit chipped at the front and the front bumpers has a wee scrape on it.

The only major worry I have is that there is a srapping noise when braking. At first I thought it might have been that the front pads were worn and scraping on the disc but I think it seems to be coming from the back. Does anyone have any idea what it could be and how it could be sorted?

The car only has about a weeks MOT and no tax so that is a bit of a bummer. Depending on what needs done for the MOT I think it could turn out to be a bargain or it could go the other way if there is loads needed. Im going to get one of my dads mates who is a really good mechanic to have a look over it for me later this week so till then I wont know much more. Unfortunately I cant drive it just now because Im not insured and there is no TAX. The problem with this is that to get TAX I need the insurance document and an MOT I believe so by the time the insurance documents have arrived the MOT will have run out so really I wont be able to drive it till I get a new MOT.

Ill try and get some pics up soon and ill hope that there is nothing major needed.

If anyone has any idea about the scraping and/or how it could be fixed that would be great.

Dave.

Rb 182

Cool, well done mate. Told you youd get one from the auctions! Sounds like maybe the back brake shoes scrapping on teh drums? Does the handbrake work?

Get some pics up.

Dave

S2000

The handbrake works perfectly. TBH I dont really know much about drum brakes so that is why I was wanting to see what people thought. If it is what you think dave do you have any idea how much it woul dbe to fix or is it something that is pretty easy to sort?

Ill hopefully get pics up tomorrow. The annoying thing is that if one other guy hadnt been there I would have got it for about £300 because he was about to put the hammer down at £275 when I started bidding and then it was only him bidding against me.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

it could be something as simple as some sh*t caught inside there mate, if you can get the wheel off and give it some light taps witha rubber mallet (dont hit something you could damage)

its worth a try

Rb 182

Cool, i need to come through and see it. If you want me to have a look at the rubbing noise then just give me a pm.

Dave

S2000

Thanks dave. I might take you up on your offer later but first of all Ill wait and see what my dads mate says as he might be looking at it tommorow night.

S2000

ivejust been out driving the car for the first time (only along the street and back due to no TAX etc :oops:) but that was enough to tell me that the brakes will need replacing as they really were terrible. The scraping noise they were making isnt a very loud noise (not as loud as I first thought as previously I had only been in it for about 20 seconds) and you cant even hear it from outside or if the window is open.

Im 100% now that it is the front thats making the noise so Ill go and have a look at the brakes in a minute. Are there any dics and pads that are better than the normal ones that I could buy that would fit straight on without new calipers and how much would they be? or where would you suggeest as a place to get new pads and discs cheaply?

Any suggestions appreciated.

16V brakes fit stright on you just need the calipers disks and pads.
Calipers err no ides maybe £60 second hand
Disk £40 from motor shops.
Pads £16 from Halfords.
thats the same setup on the Mk2 2 clios and its fine on them IMO.
Just remember to chnage the fluid whilst your at it just dont stuck 5.1 as its a waste of time.
The other option is to go with new 4 pot calipers 16v disks whcih is £400 or so but its overkill on a 1.4 probably.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

To check what brakes it is tat are worn out, gently lift the handbrake to that it slowsthe car slightly. If it makes the same noise then its your rears, if not then its your fronts.

S2000

I was thinking of doing that earlier eviljohn but didnt get a chance to as I was busy doing other things. The brakes were so crap earlier I am sure it is the front. I went to jack it up earlier but my jack is f**ked and it isnt wokring. Ill try and sort the jack tomorrow tomorow.

What parts are supposed to be on the thread on the jack because I think there are some bearings missing from mine as it will go up but not down. Could someone post up a pic of what the jack should look like.

Thanks.

S2000

Ahhh Im even more confused as to what it is now. I have just tried wat eviljohn was suggesting and it still makes the noise I was talking about so from that I would guess that it will be the drum brakes causing the noise but the brakes in general feel pretty sh*t so I think the front pads at least will have to be changed as well.

I dont even have time to check it properly just now because I have work and exams coming up.