ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I hate my clio...idle of doom!

Audi TT 225
IIRC are there not two holes in the bottom of the TB, one each side that connect to eachother and the lower oil breather?
Or was it just one....

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
don't run it too long with the iscv blocked in case it decides to suck on its own engine oil (messy LOL)

Audi TT 225
Man.... I bet Im gonna have some c0cky faced git in renaults saying "took your engine appart did you sir? tut tut" lol

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
its the gasket between the t/b and the mani. !! rich ring me ill tell u how to test for it

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
if u let the car run, then block the icv for a mo, whislt it is blocked, run your finger around it the join i can feel air gettin pulled in, but not enough to amke it idle at 3k!

Audi TT 225
Soz mate I was feeding my face :)

I only used the crazy gasket sealer on the manifold join and the lower breather... Ive not bothered seperating the manifold and TB since I first refitted it....I wonder!

Man throttle bodies suck.... ;)

Audi TT 225
I went around as much of the TB as I could reach with some sealant, drove the car to work but its the same....
Im gonna rip it all off again tonight I think and have one last attempt at sorting it out before it goes to renault... :S

on my clio 1.8 16v (old shape) I had the problem of high idling. once the car went over a certain idle point it idle at something ridiculously high like 2500rpm. I changed the speedo cable and the problem was solved.

Dont know if this will help you out but i thought i would post just in case

Audi TT 225
Cheers sleepy, Ben and I have both tried it without the throttle cable attached so we ruled that out. :(

Audi TT 225
16vClio said:
Off topic but your engine looks pretty mint mate!

Cheers buddy, its so not finnished yet... well only just started working on it really :S

Heres a pic of my last car, engine on display at ford fair @ silverstone last summer :cool:

You might be able to guess what Im going to do with the clio ;)

ff_pic.gif

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
it might not relate...but i had this prob on my 1.2/ it turned out to be the mixture senser on the throttle body (air flow one, cant remember the name, MAT sensor?) anywayz, it was just a dirty joint on the sensor. it made engine's idle speed slowly increase to almost 3000rpm (over 5 to 10 mins)....

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
its normally inbetween the airbox/filter and the inlet manifold. someone with that renualt program could tell you...

Audi TT 225
manifold actual pressure sensor?

I took it all off again, resealed, fresh gaskets. At first it seemed absolutly fine, then I drove it really carefully and it seemed fine. (from cold)
Then took it for another trip a little while later and gave it a bit more gas, seemed to be holding back. By the time I got home it was doing the same idle stupid thing, engine hot.

But now Ive got another problem, as I was tightning the rear right bolt on the plenham then noticed it wasn't getting tight but the bolt was right down. I didn't even apply pressure I just screwed it down most of the way by hand. It came back out and there was metal in the threads of the bolt.
So now thats another thing nackered!

FYI before I forget bens, Remember we were talking about places the engine could suck air from if the ISCV pipe was blocked.
I inspected the TB again, there are two holes each side of the throttle plate, they both connect down to the oil breather pipe at the bottom. I sprayed carb cleaner through it to clean it. So the engine can suck a small amount of air through this passage.

Last edited:
  Audi TT 225
FAO Ben_P

I drove it to work today mate, much better but once the engine warms up and its done some high revs Im still getting a bit of a high rev 1500 but it will settle back down again.

It HAS to be an air leak mate. Its either going to be your TB joint or the lower seal with the rubber ring on it. My problems, I think, stem from the lower seal.

My mpg has gone from 42 normal
26 mpg when it was idling like crazy
Now Im getting 36-38 mpg so its an improvement.

It seems like its working fine then when the pressure becomes too much in the manifold it starts to bleed air in from some where.

Ive not got a nightmate with my bolts since the threads on one of the holes have gone and I snapped one where the two sections of the manifold meet. Man my engines made of cheese!

Oh an anyone who wants to know about how to polish the manifold etc I will write a guide and get it posted, quite a few of you have asked so its easier if I write a guide for you all.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
cheers rich, im doing mine on sunday morning now. maybe if ur rear bolt is not tight it may not be sealing the o rings tights that why u have a little air leek, was any of ur pipes blocked

Audi TT 225
no they had some gunk inside but no blocks.

Yeah thats what Im thinking now, Ive got a few other issues with the car so Im just gonna book it in to get everything sorted out I give up with it.

Just hope my wallet can withstand another bashing by renault :(

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
so i need to clean the lil holes in the botom of the t/b , or the pipes lol, when u say holding back, do u mean thenpwoer or the idle

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
whhhheeeyyyyy ! fixed mine, new gaskets n rubber o ring from renault, worked first time, i thing the seal between the t/b and the o ring were the bigest faulters

Audi TT 225
Mines running ok ish but its not perfect. Im gonna get a new O ring and another set of gaskets. But Ive now got two sheered bolts on the front of the manifold and the threads have chewed on one of the rear ones..... my engines made of cheese...... french cheese.....

Its the O ring thats doing it Im sure...

Good excuse to get it all off again and port match it lol

Audi TT 225
Yeah I'll have to use a slightly bigger bolt on the back one :(

Im thinking if I take the lower manifold off then theres a chance I can get the sheered bolts out without drilling because theres loads poking out each side.

The first one popped as soon as I tried to undo it the first time, killed the other one trying to stop the air leak, doh! Then dont know how the back one went I threaded the bolt in and it wouldn't tighten so took it out and the threads were toast...

Audi TT 225
Im getting to the point where I dont want to touch the damn think in case something else breaks lol