ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

i hate saxo VTRs

Revels Mum & Sister

Hmm I wouldnt bother mate!

If you can sell up and buy a Valver then you can toast the=m!!

320d M Sport

dont be so sad!

theyre popular for a reason and would have no problem wasting you... IMHO!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Not again, this always pops up.

Again, the mk1 VTR vs 1.4RT is very very close up to 60, after that the VTR will pull away.

MK2 VTR more powerful is faster to 60 and overall.

It wouldnt take much modding to get a 1.4RT to be able to pull away from a mk1 VTR, scribbler (Clio14) had his 1.4RT rolling roaded at 88bhp I think, would pull away from mk1 VTRs.

Mines pretty much standard and itll keep pace with mk1 VTRs, by no means will it leave them but itll keep up.

ill race you in my little bros mk2 vtr if you want when yours is modded. i can garantee you will lose tho :D

Im with paddy in the opinion that the 1.4 wouldnt have a chance against a vtr

Erm why have we got negative comments, how about helping the fella out.

The question was "what u thinks best?" as in what to modify

-Rob

Everyone always moans about how popular the VTRs are, but I never see any! Ive met a couple of VTR drivers with slammed suspension and no other body mods and theyve always been good-looking cars. (yet to see any gross Max Power Jap body kit versions yet)

All credit, the VTR is a very good handling car and they look quite nice as standard. Obviously not in the same league as the 16v/Willy/172, but thats not the point - its an entry level "sports" car. The RT is a good car, but its not as complete as a VTR as standard as it was designed for the broad market rather than the warm hatch buyer.

120d Sport

I wouldnt really call the VTR a "sports car" more of a birds car, something for the missis so she can get in and out of traffic with room for the kids in the back.

Modding a 1.4RT?!.....wots the point of modding a 1.4?....save your money and buy a 16v/willy/172...modding a 1.4 (unless Turbo) engine is pointless.

Not really, some people cant afford those cars so you make do with what you have.

Id call the VTR an entry hot hatch opposed to a sports car. It is indeed a very good one, though i agree its too common, i dont like the obvious choice.

-Rob

bit agressive eh, i agree you wont see alot of return from modding this model of car but if you have no chance of buying a model higher in the range for whatever reason (valver/willy/172) then i suppose the usual, exhaust, induction, headwork, cams etc will be the way to go, also i think there is a low pressure turbo conversion for the twingo which i think uses the same engine and may be possible

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 08 May 2003

Erm why have we got negative comments, how about helping the fella out.

The question was "what u thinks best?" as in what to modify

-Rob
Agreed! This happens everytime VTR comes into question.

Anyone thought the guy may not be able to afford a Valver/Willy?

If u wanna beat those VTRs dude, heavy modding will be needed! For example start off with IK, Zorst, Chip. That will give u a bit more torque. Then perhaps just get a 15-20bhp Nitros Kit. And when the pesky VTRs come on, press the little red button. Simple and Sorted!

320d M Sport

err, rob cos he said "wat u thinks best?" i thought he was referring to each car. and he is gonna get negative comments posting a thread titled "I HATE SAXO VTRs" isnt he?!

not that im arguing now or anythin, :confused:

Twingo uses a 1.1 or 1.2 I think.

Im not saying the VTR is an out and out sportscar. Its an entry-level "sports" car! So is a Seicento Sporting!

It has been aimed at a market segment that contains people that want a bit more poke than the cooking models and better handling and are willing to compromise comfort and utility. OK, so the VTR isnt exaclty at the extreme end of this market, thats why its "entry level"! :D

Suzuki SV650

Yeah, some of us cant afford nice cars like Corrado VR6s or 172s etc etc.

The only VTR I have kept up with was my mates VTR that was imported from France, now this was a 1.4 engine, and so is mine, so I was able to keep up with that easily, this was also like a year or so ago before I had mine decatted etc so I should be able to beat that now.

I tend to steer clear of VTRs, but then again I never really find one thats asking for anything.. :eek:(

Its the WestCoast & EastCoast crap things that us RT drivers should be giving a pasting, not sure what their engine sizes r thou.

If ur gonna do anything then de-cat it, give it a cat-back exhaust, maybe an induction kit or a replacement air filter for your OE airbox, plenty of cold air, and a chip. Lower it and put some better wheels on so you can rape it on the twisties.

again gotta agree with paddy, a better title for the thread would be "how can i beat vtrs" i would be more likely to get a positive reply, good thing craggy isnt about, LOL

Dont want to get mangled into a argument but...

My old 1.4rt was as quick as a standard VTR - i just had a induction kit and the usual tweaks, however, the VTR is a cheap insurance sporty car that looks good from the off, i hate the bloody things cos theres so many everywhere but there no denying they do like nice from the day they left the factory. As for why they are popular - cos they are cheap to insure and originally came with a years free insurance not cos they are mental quick.

You could do loads of work to a 1.4 andd have it flying but at the end of the day your insurance company are going to sh*t themselves and charge you rates close on that of a valver - mention nitrous and they keel over!

Ive got a mint 16v,141bhp, plenty fast enough,can take out most cars - best way is to make your RT look mint and like it goes quick - then dont try and race any VTRs or anything cos you will find they are more irritated by that then if you try and lose.

Do what i do - look like your in a quick car, know you are, let them race past you and look like plebs when there screaming the nuts off there motor and your plodding along. or buy a VTR

Suzuki SV650

Wise words Paul. Liverpool Victoria havent been harsh on my mods, they are only basic things like alloys, induction kit, exhaust and suspension mods but its put an extra £30/£40 on my premium a year, with other companies mention induction kit and they keel over anyway.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Allee on 08 May 2003

I hate them! SO common. gonna try n get my 1.4RT tuned so i can race em. what u thinks best?
WELL ALLEE, DONT YOU DARE LET OUR CRAGGY HEAR YOU SAYING THAT ABOUT HIS BELOVED SAXO!!

;)

Quote: Originally posted by Khany on 08 May 2003

I wouldnt really call the VTR a "sports car" more of a birds car, something for the missis so she can get in and out of traffic with room for the kids in the back.

erm excuse me!!! Im a missis and my birds car (its those bloody sparrows driving again!) is a mark 2 172, kids an all thank you very much!!! ;)

Learn from experience, my insurance company wanted £1900 to insure the 16v as standard tescos wanted £900, neither allowed any mods at all, Adrian Flux wanted £675 and said i can do what i like except a rollcage, nitrous or a chip....

payed that last year for a 1.4rt - so if you can afford a good one get a 16v, if you cant just look good cos it aint worth paying crazy money to mod and insure a car that at the end of the day is a RT. Most of us will of had a RT or whatever cos we couldnt insure a 16v or rsi etc, correct!!!

Not sl*gging any Rts off by the way ive still got mine! just left it aslone tioll i could get a decent 16v and then i could blow some $$

Audi S3

He has a VTs which is a diferent car GR a much better performance car than the VTr they are sooo common when driving arround near where i live ill see at least 4 or 5 each time! whereas afaik there is only 2 vts that i know of here!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Quote: Originally posted by Khany on 08 May 2003

Modding a 1.4RT?!.....wots the point of modding a 1.4?....save your money and buy a 16v/willy/172...modding a 1.4 (unless Turbo) engine is pointless.

I f**king hate these comments, this is all you get on Cliosport whenever anyone with a smaller engine asked for some help. Errr, maybe he cant afford to buy and maintain a 16v, willy or 172 and insurance on these is obviously a lot more then a 1.4. If he wants to modify his 1.4 then let him, its his car why shouldnt he do what he wants to it. Ive modded the engine on my RT and sure its no rocket, it is slow but it does keep up with MK1 VTR but I agree, its not as complete a package, VTR far out handles a standard RT. And to the guy that said Ill race you in my MK2, its far faster, I said that initially, mk2 has more bhp then the mk1.

:oops:sh*t, sorry guys, never meant to start an argument, its just in the West of scotland, VTRs are so common, i hardly ever see a normal one, can u get them? only see VTRs n VTSs, wierd. Saw a Lowered Citreon AX today cumin home from glasgow, 1.1, lol looked pretty cool tho :confused: Also, is it true that the insurance will b ok if i only lower my car less than 35mm?

Share the love

Allee

Quote: Originally posted by zedx19 on 08 May 2003
Its common on here Allee, arguments happen all the time.

No they dont! ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

one person makes a stupid comment and you go off on one

"Cliosport Crap"
http://www.renaultsportsclub.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6183http://www.renaultsportsclub.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6183

I dont have a problem with any 1.4 1.2 or any other clio owners actually. In the past I have posted friendly banter with the cup owners, but never once have I posted negative comments about smaller engined cars.

Just because one person feels in his opinion it wouldnt be worth tuning does not mean every other member feels the same way.

If you dont like it here then why visit ?

oh and I think you will find that a lot of people from cliosport also frequent the rsc forums.

Suzuki SV650

Maybe not but once too often is enough for some people. :cry:

Cant afford the risks and the money for a valver, insurance might not be much more but its buying one in the first place. Dont wanna buy a poor example, would ideally like a Phase 2 or Phase 1 with low milage but you need cash and at the end of the day I dont have hundreds extra all in one go, just a steady trickle of dosh to mod my RT now and again. Keeps me (and other RT owners it seems) happy enough anyway, for now.

Also Ive heard 16vs can be really maintenance intensive, Im not a complete n00b with spanners but Im no decent mechanic, so thats another reason.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 08 May 2003

one person makes a stupid comment and you go off on one

Im not just on about this one occasion, I seen it happen time and time again, people on RSC also agree with me!

If you dont like it here then why visit ?

I said earlier, I like to try and offer my advice and like to read about issues with 172s, both good and bad seen as Im looking into getting one or a CTR

oh and I think you will find that a lot of people from cliosport also frequent the rsc forums.

Which is why RSC is friendly!! :D

LMAO, anyway, you can all stick up for Cliosport as much as you like! Everyones entitled to there opinions on a public forum and thats mine!