ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I have no centre silencer, is it making any difference?

RB Clio 182 Cup
Had the car on a lift today and discovered at some point the centre silencer just behind the cat has been removed and replaced with a straight through pipe, still have the 2 individual rear silencers and cat fitted though.

Is this likely to be making any difference at all other than being slightly lighter and a little louder? I can't even rly tell for sure if it's louder or not.

im gona do this exact same thing to mine. must be a weak point for rust

its not gona be a problem + maybe a little louder

RB Clio 182 Cup
im gona do this exact same thing to mine. must be a weak point for rust

its not gona be a problem + maybe a little louder

I was more wondering if maybe it was a little better coz it would be slightly more freely flowing. Although id imagine gain would be something like 0.5bhp ;)

Golf GTD Mk7
maybe slightly. If it's still the 1.5inch diametre pipe it's not going to do much to be honest. If you don't think it's load just leave it be until it falls off, then buy an aftermarket stainless system :D

Ph1
I was more wondering if maybe it was a little better coz it would be slightly more freely flowing. Although id imagine gain would be something like 0.5bhp ;)

haha exactly the same. A silencer works external to the pipe not inside it like a cat. You roll a golf ball down a silenced and it still gets to the other end

Only reason to ditch a silencer is for noise and weight.

RB Clio 182 Cup
haha exactly the same. A silencer works external to the pipe not inside it like a cat. You roll a golf ball down a silenced and it still gets to the other end

Only reason to ditch a silencer is for noise and weight.

Oh, hows a silencer work then? I assumed it was full of baffles or something to cut down noise, obviously not!

With that in mind does it mean then there is no advantage to removing the 2 rear back boxes either as they are only sound deadening and do not restrict flow. So the only restrictions on the standard clio exhaust are the cat and the changes in pipe width and curves etc?

Ph1
Best way to describe the average silencer is by this pic. This is a part built one with the sound deadening material removed. Under the wire stuff, the bore of the pipe is usually drilled with hundreds of mini holes.

silencer-inner.jpg

Back boxes can be the same as the above or like the below pic. Think the below pic is more what you'd find on a standard factory exhaust?

ex1.jpg