ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I kicked a Skyline's ass part 2

Rapid Mark. The pull from 80+ is mega. Maybe time to challenge yourself and the car further and put it around a more technical track.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So in a non-racing situation your car was faster than a car that may or may not have been racing?

That's pretty much the measure of it, yeah, all tongue firmly in cheek of course. There's no denying he was on it as far as he was comfortable though...I'm just a bit more comfortable carving my way around there.

Very cool mate. How much will I have to convince you to come to Brands over the next couple of months?

I've got one more day booked at Goodwood post diff fitting and that's it for me this year Jeff! If you book it let me know though and I'll see if I can come along.

Rapid Mark. The pull from 80+ is mega. Maybe time to challenge yourself and the car further and put it around a more technical track.

It's bonkers, like a train. As for tracks, nah, I've done that, cba anymore. Goodwood's as good as on my doorstep, it feels like it's my back garden, I probably spend the same amount of time in each LOL

It may not look technical but it is, very. Hooking a fast one up doesn't come easy at all...it's always a challenge for me.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Out of interest - I notice that you're lugging a full tank of fuel around as well.

Do you think you'd see (or certainly feel) any benefit on track if say you ran on half-a-tank?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Out of interest - I notice that you're lugging a full tank of fuel around as well.

Do you think you'd see (or certainly feel) any benefit on track if say you ran on half-a-tank?

He's also got another person in the car, surely you'd ditch them before worrying about how much fuel is on board?

Also you'd wanna check how well baffled the tank is before chucking a load of fuel out, it'll slosh around like mad round some tight corners and you don't want the pump to suck air.

That's pretty much the measure of it, yeah, all tongue firmly in cheek of course. There's no denying he was on it as far as he was comfortable though...I'm just a bit more comfortable carving my way around there.

Run the M140i down Santa Pod a few times? See what it'll do there?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
He's also got another person in the car, surely you'd ditch them before worrying about how much fuel is on board?

Also you'd wanna check how well baffled the tank is before chucking a load of fuel out, it'll slosh around like mad round some tight corners and you don't want the pump to suck air.

More evenly balanced with two people onboard - but yep, it could still end up sloshing about.

You'd kind of hope that even an M-Lite would have some engineering within the tank to help with this a little?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You'd expect it yes, but you'd wanna make sure considering it's a turbo engine.
Run it lean an it'll lunch the pistons.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Run the M140i down Santa Pod a few times? See what it'll do there?

There's genuinely not much else that holds less interest for me...much as I enjoyed doing it purely for LOLs in my Focus RS, I've no desire to put such strain and shock loadings through my drivetrain, at least when using it hard on track the things that wear are (mostly) easily replaced consumables.

More evenly balanced with two people onboard - but yep, it could still end up sloshing about.

You'd kind of hope that even an M-Lite would have some engineering within the tank to help with this a little?

I've no idea what they have or haven't done (I've never read anything about it) but I have run it down very low on track (as in 2 mile range remaining!) and didn't once feel any fuel surge.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
It may not look technical but it is, very. Hooking a fast one up doesn't come easy at all...it's always a challenge for me.

I would thoroughly recommend doing another track Mark, out of all the ones ive done in the UK, i.e. Goodwood, Snetterton, Brands, Bedford, Llandow, Haynes, Thruxton, Donnington, Cadwell & Castle Combe id say its probably in my bottom 3 lol. Its technical in that its high speed and you have to have big b4lls/no fear to put in a quick lap time, but if like me you are after fun rather than 130+ from a track day, it really is pretty boring imho.

We only go in May each year as its for the Jag day and a lovely venue/day out.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I would thoroughly recommend doing another track Mark, out of all the ones ive done in the UK, i.e. Goodwood, Snetterton, Brands, Bedford, Llandow, Haynes, Thruxton, Donnington, Cadwell & Castle Combe id say its probably in my bottom 3 lol. Its technical in that its high speed and you have to have big b4lls/no fear to put in a quick lap time, but if like me you are after fun rather than 130+ from a track day, it really is pretty boring imho.

We only go in May each year as its for the Jag day and a lovely venue/day out.

Yeah, I get that there are others, but I seriously just can't be arsed. I know Goodwood, I like driving Goodwood, I like that fact that my many many laps of experience there helps me hassle machinery I really shouldn't be able to. Besides, I've done just about all other tracks I'd want to do within fairly easy reach...and none of them are even slightly drawing me back in the 140 given Goodwood is so close and such a nice way to spend a day.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Have a go at this: https://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calendar/2019/june/27-bhgp-sesh/

Brands Hatch GP is supposed to be very (y)

...and then the accountant in me kicks in hard.

I get 75% of that track time for 50% the cost (and I get the most epic lunch thrown in with unlimited refreshments all day long!)...plus, I expect the track at Brands would be a whole load more crowded and with far worse etiquette as well.

It would take something really special to have me head off to another venue.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Brands has always treated me well tbh.

Apart from always being in the slowest car.

Look forward to monstering all the Meganes when I get round to booking hehe.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Never really had any issues with track day etiquette at brands, it's a fantastic track and the gp is surely on every petrolheads to do list.

That's fair enough.

I've just checked, Brands GP, like Goodwood, is 2.4 miles long. Do they let more than 10 cars on track at a time on the GP circuit?

That's all they do at Goodwood and that's a huge reason why I love the place. It's almost like private hire.

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
That's fair enough.

I've just checked, Brands GP, like Goodwood, is 2.4 miles long. Do they let more than 10 cars on track at a time on the GP circuit?

That's all they do at Goodwood and that's a huge reason why I love the place. It's almost like private hire.

Never done the Gp as it's so bloody rare to be open and a bit pricey. Given the indy is so small you never really get caught up in traffic so I imagine they manage numbers quite well.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully no offence intended but I found that very boring to watch, I could have dosed off if I watched the whole thing. It just seems like a leisurely drive out (assuming because the car is so capable).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Never done the Gp as it's so bloody rare to be open and a bit pricey. Given the indy is so small you never really get caught up in traffic so I imagine they manage numbers quite well.

I've done Brands Indy quite a few times and found it the complete opposite...congested! I'm sure on a Renaultsport day I went to there they capped it at 40 cars on track at once. To put that into perspective, running with the same traffic density at Goodwood but on Brands Indy would see the number of cars on track capped at 4.

Hopefully no offence intended but I found that very boring to watch, I could have dosed off if I watched the whole thing. It just seems like a leisurely drive out (assuming because the car is so capable).

None taken at all! Thanks for putting yourself through that as far as you did LOL (y)?