ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I need a simple website - please read.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I need a very simple website making/someone to tell me the best and cheapest place to make one. It is for my band.

It will only have 2 pages.

Page 1
2 images, one our logo and one a photo.
Our music player from SoundCloud.
Links at the bottom to our other pages on sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Youtube etc.

Page 2
A contact page that links to our email.

If anyone can help me please reply in here or drop me a PM.

Much appreciated.

LY 182
Ya what Revels said.

I could probably help for a relatively low sum, but tbh you're just as well 2 set it up yourself. It's super easy.

LY 182
Basically that easy.

Are you planning on having your own domain name?

Cheap hosting w/ cPanel + Wordpress + Smart free Wordpress theme = Done!

Really that easy.

There's a massive wordpress forum for help. Thousands of tutorials etc.

Gimme a shout if you get stuck.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Basically that easy.

Are you planning on having your own domain name?

Cheap hosting w/ cPanel + Wordpress + Smart free Wordpress theme = Done!

Yes was looking at getting a domain name too.

Cheers for the help lads, appreciate it!

Really that easy.

There's a massive wordpress forum for help. Thousands of tutorials etc.

Gimme a shout if you get stuck.

Will do mate, cheers.

LY 182
Nice. Well what I would do is this:

- Register domain name with Godaddy.
- Find cheap UK shared hosting that offers cPanel - Around £5 a month tops
- Install Wordpress with a few clicks via cPanel. (Yuh that easy)
- Find a suitable free Wordpress theme - Loads of really decent ones for free
- Tweak it to fit your needs

That's it bud.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Nice. Well what I would do is this:

- Register domain name with Godaddy.
- Find cheap UK shared hosting that offers cPanel - Around £5 a month tops
- Install Wordpress with a few clicks via cPanel. (Yuh that easy)
- Find a suitable free Wordpress theme - Loads of really decent ones for free
- Tweak it to fit your needs

That's it bud.

You are a nice man :)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
What you wanting to learn Christopher?

Only the basics TBH dude. How to build a basic site and construct email flyers for marketing campaigns. Nothing spesh.

I just don't want it to look 'template-y'... we designers are a proud bunch. :eek:

RS Megane DCi 175
You could just set up a flavors.me site.
Seems to do everything you're looking for - all the social networking bits are built in. Looks good too. You can set up custom domains too, but then you have to go premium. Something like $20 for the year.

Link.

LY 182
Only the basics TBH dude. How to build a basic site and construct email flyers for marketing campaigns. Nothing spesh.

I just don't want it to look 'template-y'... we designers are a proud bunch. :eek:

HTML and CSS are really easy. I know that almost sounds like a cliche, but they really are a doddle to pick up. What worked well for me was reading a guide that covers basics and then some more "intermediate" stuff. I then created my own website from scratch and it was a good learning curve. Unlike php where you start to use variables and arrays, html/css really is common sense a lot of the time.

You could just set up a flavors.me site.
Seems to do everything you're looking for - all the social networking bits are built in. Looks good too. You can set up custom domains too, but then you have to go premium. Something like $20 for the year.

Link.

That looks like a decent alternative to my suggestion, worth looking into!

Out of curiousity, what tools do the Pros use when creating websites?

Everybody differs mate. Some people like to use programs that assist, like dreamweaver. Some people are "old school" and like to write code from scratch in notepad. I personally use Coda for the mac which is a nice software for developing.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Cheers mate. I need to write a site from scratch, but I'll just use Dreamweaver for now.

I've bought a few books on code, but just need to get stuck in really.

LY 182
Cheers mate. I need to write a site from scratch, but I'll just use Dreamweaver for now.

I've bought a few books on code, but just need to get stuck in really.

You won't get anything done if you just read the book. Whilst dreamweaver has it's place, I wouldn't suggest using that for the long run.

http://htmldog.com/ - I like that site. What I would do is read each section, but also do each section. Get something like Coda on the Mac, it's very good for html/css. Then type out the examples you see, get used to writing them and previewing them to see them in action. Do that for every tutorial and you'll be flying along in no time. Then create something from scratch, only using references when you really get stuck.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Mate can you link me to the sort of music your band do? May have a proposition for you.

Do you actually write much code or is it all generated for you?
Depends what you need to do. 80% of the time I'll write the code. It's actually quicker that way.

I don't write content in code, so images, visable text, links etc is written in design view.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Crap for blogs, makes a bit of a mess.

Wordpress is the best blog software.

Looking for 182
I highly recommend WordPress, it's a piece of piss to use and is fairly customisable if you know what you're doing (or even if you don't to be fair).