ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I need SAT NAV for my Clio 172

hi

I need to put SAT NAV in my clio!! but am unsure which to get and whether I you should buy it from the dealership or not. any sugestions?? It has to look good aswell as having European maps as I am hopefully driving to Italy this summer. Im not even sure what these thing cost so I dont have a budget....

Lucy :)

Lionel Richie

Ive been told that Halfords are selling their display units very cheap (Pioneer is the best one IMO)

ah ! i will take a look in halford on the weekend thanks! do you know if pioneer do dvd integrated ??

Lionel Richie

As far as i know you have to get a seperate DVD player, BUT you can do as ive done and add a PS2!!!!!!

lol ps2 isnt really my thing !!! infact I am possitivly cr*p at games I ve had a look on the net and noted some pioneer part nums down ! what i didnt realise was that thes things are quite pricey !!! 1-2k !!!! i think my little girl will have to go hungry for a few weeks ;)

Lionel Richie

I paid a total of about £1000 to get my screen and PS2 and fitted it al myself (i bought an AtoZ as well!!!!)

350z & 16v Maxi

Lucy the Pionner P9 sat nav is excelent, and also the Becker stuff is really good too. You are cheeper buying one that has the display on the HU rather than a sceen. Alpine also do a good one too. I would say in order of best to ...well... not best

Pionner

Becker

Alpine

We have fitted all of these and every customer was more than pleased with the units.

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

Lucy have you spoke to evil ICE from on here, hes really helpful and knows loads about this kinda thing :)

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Hey i was thinking bout this too...thing is, i only want sav nat...what exactly do i need to get sat nav? obviously i need a screen, but do i need a dvd player?

350z & 16v Maxi

You dont need a dvd player, you dont even need a screen. The ones i listed above dont have screens.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

it really depends how much you want to spend.. you can get a cheapo one that just has a direction arrow type thing.. cant display anything complicated like a map.. just directions and roundabouts etc..

or you can go the whole hog which usually means HU with inbuilt screen and the navigation unit which sits in your boot (make sure the navigation unit is a dvd one not a cd one cause they are crap) but these normally cost 1K + (normally about 1K for the HU with screen and 1K for the dvd navigation unit, I say screen cause normally the tv tuner bit is a £250 quid addon)

Have you considered an Ipaq? They work as a personal organiser and you can get a sat nav add on pack and a car fitting kit. Easy to take from car to car and country to country.

MB

mat

that is i mighty good idea as I work in IT and can get them extremely cheap! i cant imagine they are fantastic though I will read up on it. Thanks for the sugestion!

Lucy :D

Ive heard good things about them, they are Sat Nav and not route planners. I know that in addition to the factory fit sat nav MINI do a fitting kit for the IPAQ , it goes sideways to give maximum readability and the screen realines to horizontal automatically.

One tip. You will have to fit whatever you get under the little square of non reflective screen in the center or you wont get a proper fix

MB

Just thought i would add my 2p for you Lucy :D

I have the Alpine CD-Rom based Nav system in my company car, with the fold out screen in the dash oh + TV and MP3 CD chager as well ;). I have to say its a first class system and is faultles.

99.9% of all mapping is done by a company called Nav-Tec so all the maps will be the same, its how the company (equipment manifacturer) choses to put this infomation across to you the end user. I have used VDOs system and think its PAP in a word.

The Ipaq is a very good and cheap option as your looking at 1K minimum for a Screen and CDrom or DVD based unit.

The Nav-Man Jacket for the Ipaq is very good and the 3400 model offers voice as well, but you WILL have a problem with the front screen on the Clio yes. The Tom Toms version for the ipaq offers a remote external antenna that you can stick on the roof and just run the cable through the door its magnetic so you can take it on or off when ever you want + you get full use of the Ipaq as well like a nice MP3 juke box :D

Have a Look on ebay there are always loads of nav systems on there for sale !

Good Luck anyway

Cheers

matt

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Mattcony, ive been looking at the Ipaq H3970 and it seems ok. But what i really want it for is navigation purposes.

Thing is, there are two packages available. The Nav-man and TomTom. Ive been looking at TomTom and it seems very good. But there are two available, the Route Planner and Navigator 2. I cant really tell the difference, but the navigator has road bearings aswell from what i can see. Also have u used the Nav-man? Is it better than the TomTom?

Have u played with both these systems before?? Are they as good as normal in-car navigation systems? I.e. would it be as good as ur Alpine based system?? Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks

Hon