ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I need some advice!

Hello everybody on cliosport!
this is my first time on this forum and i need some help on my dilemma i have at the momment!
At the momment i drive a v reg saxo vtr and i am a fully paid up member of the saxo sports club.
I love the car immenseley but its starting to rust quite badley so i need to change cars next year for that reason.
Im a mechanic by trade and was going to carry out a vts transplant on the car which is quite easy but with this problem comming to light a new car is the way forward and my other work colleagues said why spend all that money making a slow car fast bearing in mind that a saxo vts only has 120bhp as standard when i could buy a quick car in the first place!
A mate who is a car trader has suggested that i should get a clio 172/182 or cup and said he would find me the right car at trade price for me the only other options i have are to replace it with a c2 gt 110bhp or saxo vts.
Im up for a clio as i like the look of them and it would be a change as i have had peugeots and citreons since i have passed my driving test.
My questions are:

Would you recommend a clio and what model?
Do they suffer alot of rust problems im talking about clio2 models?
Any problems that i should look out for?

Im hoping to do track days in the near future so any help would be greatfull!

Thanks for reading this essay! tony!

No rust , MK2 172/182 as good buy atm , i would recommend a test drive to sway that indecisiveness

No rust , MK2 172/182 as good buy atm , i would recommend a test drive to sway that indecisiveness

what model do you recommend yourself mate?

ive been in a 172 clio2 and i was impressed but it did seem a bit flat due i think to the fly by wire throttle system but i was impressed i will have around 5k to spend and for that i could get the best saxo in the world or a nearley new c2 g2 or a clio cup with 50k on the clock im very tempted with the clio at the momment!

no rust atall on the Body (its plastic) lol.

go for a 182 Cup, much better cars

My saxos body has no rust whatso ever but underneath the inner wheel arches are rustting out on the o/s/r!

can i get a 182cup for my price range?

any tips of potential problems that i should be aware about?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
5k won't get you a 182 . As said , look at the FF 172's or 172 cups .

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
i was 23 with 4yrs NCB and it was £1300 , dont think it was too bad

im 24 years old and fully comp a grand!
any cheaper companies i could try?

Not sure....but a grand a year is still a lot of money for a 24 yr old. I take it you are still subsidised by ( living with ) your parents. A 172 Cup is a big step up from a Saxo VTS to be fair.

living with girlfriend in a council estate lol!
my current car is a saxo vtr only 90bhp 3 years no claims 500quid from tescos!

f**king hell...£1300 is insane for insurance.....totally spunking your cash there to drive a Clio.

f**k it im loaded!! well my suburb classifies as inner city birmingham!! now its downt to 900

LOL ! £900 is still alot , when you add in servicing, a pair of new front tyres each year and possibly brake pads...it all adds up. Be thankfull you don't have a Leon Cupra R with 18" wheels. I went through 2 front tyres each year @ £130 x 2 a pop, new Brembo pads @£200....very expensive. If you have a mortgage as well :(

f**k it im loaded!! well my suburb classifies as inner city birmingham!! now its downt to 900

LOL ! £900 is still alot , when you add in servicing, a pair of new front tyres each year and possibly brake pads...it all adds up. Be thankfull you don't have a Leon Cupra R with 18" wheels. I went through 2 front tyres each year @ £130 x 2 a pop, new Brembo pads @£200....very expensive. If you have a mortgage as well :(

Im a grease monkey buy trade lol!
so i get trade car parts and all the privileges!
live with the girlfreinds mum at there place so mortgage isnt a problem.
its just saving up to buy the car first as im only on 253pounds a week take home!
but ill do it.
as for insurance when i passed my driving test i was paying 1500 pounds to insure a 1.1 citreon ax fully comp so thats not a problem as i was only on 150 a week take home then!

Im a grease monkey buy trade lol!
so i get trade car parts and all the privileges!
live with the girlfreinds mum at there place so mortgage isnt a problem.
its just saving up to buy the car first as im only on 253pounds a week take home!
but ill do it.
as for insurance when i passed my driving test i was paying 1500 pounds to insure a 1.1 citreon ax fully comp so thats not a problem as i was only on 150 a week take home then!

Fair play mate.....go for the 172. Definitley the best car in your ball park . I can recommend the 172 Cup, great car!

Mondeo TDCI 130
Hasnt got the same interior, poverty spec!!:cool: no spare wheel, quilte a few little bits, no abs, Go for the cup! you will love it!!

mine :
000_0858.jpg

Hasnt got the same interior, poverty spec!!:cool: no spare wheel, quilte a few little bits, no abs, Go for the cup! you will love it!!

mine :
000_0858.jpg

oh my god that looks awesome thats it my saxo will be sold next year im going to get myself one of these instead!
what about modifications do the respond well to tuning?
are k tec any good?

Mondeo TDCI 130
Ktec i have never had any dealings with, mine has the angelworks machined inlet manifolds, ecu remap, maxxogen filter, decat and prospeed full system! it goes ok!

172 Cup 2003
Get a 172 Cup. A massive step up from a Saxo VTS but you might have a shock when you try to get insurance.

im 24 years old and fully comp a grand!
any cheaper companies i could try?

neil at green light i was 21 with 2 or 3yrs NCB but points on my licence and don't think i live in bestn postcode lol anyhway 172 '02 ff £900 fully comp with alloys exhust etc etc

so try green light insurance

Mondeo TDCI 130
This was my vts! mint little motor! that went well, cams etc etc! think it was 150bhp on the rollers at skip brown, cost a shitload though!
More pics of the cup here :

000_0290.jpg

im so getting one now!
love the colour and the wheels.
got to sell my current car and raise the cash up now.
a mate from the saxo club has 140bhp from his vts and thats cams and chip manifold and air filter goes ok but i cant live with rust so this is the way forward i did breifley think about a lupo gti but they eat gearboxes so thats out the window so its a clio 172 then!

Its a commen problem with them.
also vts engines are getting as rare as rocking horse sh~t to find any good ones for the transplant so that and the rust means im getting one of these instead ps can you retrofit a spare as i have a bad reputation with punctures!

Mondeo TDCI 130
there is a wheel well mate, just no wheel in it, so you could drop a steel wheel in there if you wanted just in case!

there is a wheel well mate, just no wheel in it, so you could drop a steel wheel in there if you wanted just in case!

i have a strange problem for collecting punctures lol!

also what mods woek well with them ie susspension engine ect?
also with the exhaust i want to get a system which isnt too loud for my saxo that has a magnex cat back which isnt that loud what is the best for the clio?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

i have a mortgage too mate still £240,000 left!!! lol