ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I Polished My Fuel Rail Guard (no 56K)

After an hour of snading with 40 Grit sandpaper it looked like this
CIMG0852.jpg

CIMG0853.jpg

Then went on to 120/220/440 Grit
CIMG0855.jpg

Decided to give the centre a coat of Auto Glym metal polish to see how it would look
CIMG0859.jpg

CIMG0861.jpg

was quite pleased with that - went on to 500/600 grit then 700/800 grit and then finhally on to the 1200 grit.
This photo shows how it looked after one coat of metal polish (just on the centre piece)
CIMG0863.jpg

Then after one coat of metal polish all over
CIMG0865.jpg

CIMG0873.jpg

Then the Final Product
CIMG0884.jpg

CIMG0887.jpg

CIMG0888.jpg

CIMG0889.jpg

CIMG0891.jpg

Then Back on the Car
CIMG0894.jpg

CIMG0896.jpg

CIMG0899.jpg

All back together
CIMG0900.jpg

CIMG0902.jpg

CIMG0903.jpg

should be enough photos for everyone there!

Last edited by a moderator:
  106 GTi
Nice one. Looks great - some real elbow grease there, glad my best mates a metal polisher!

just two nuts hold it on - there are three holes on the front of it - just get a long socket and undo the 2 bolts and it comes straight off

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Top job that mate . You gonna do the manifold as well ? Did you coat it with anything to stop it tarnishing ? Maybe a quick wipe over with something like autoglym vinyl and rubber care .

MrBillyUK !

nah - not unless I can find a second hand one that I can work on and still use the car - am gonna do the Renault sport writing though - think that will look good.

took about 8-12hrs roughly - started on monday and have spent roughly 2hrs a day working on it.
used aluminium oxide paper to start - emery peper did not seem to work very well - went on to wet and dry then - Richmcc gave me instructions and I am well pleased - was gonna pay to do it but thought I would save some money!

Mk1 16v
Looks sexy as fook!

What did you do after the metal polish?? or was that the final step?

Rich.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
can u drive without that part or were u reattaching it each time, sorry if thats a silly question i have no idea what that thing does

You can drive without a problem - I think it is there in case of an accident so the fuel rail does not get damaged (but I could be talking crap)

106 GTi
If you want to finish it yet finer still than metal polish, apply a coat of an even milder polish such as Autoglym Super Resin as it will increase shine even more.

Mk1 16v
What did you use to apply the metal polish?

Sorry for all the questions lol. lots of people seem interested though.

just a cloth - bought some polishing cloths from halfords to save wrecking my girlfriends tea towels lol.

Top job that mate . You gonna do the manifold as well ? Did you coat it with anything to stop it tarnishing ? Maybe a quick wipe over with something like autoglym vinyl and rubber care .

MrBillyUK !

Also if anyone knows - is that true - should I treat it to stop it tarnishing and if so what should i use?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
tim, i would have thought a weekly wipe over with metal polish, like i do on my minis chrome bumpers, will stop it tarnishing too much. :)

106 GTi
timsclio172 said:
if thats true then I shall do it tomorrow - are you sure r-jay?

Best mate does it for a living, has worked on lots of the top show motorbikes over here. It's slightly less abbrassive then metal polish, so in the same way as stepping down in grades of paper when polishing, useing differt grades of polish does the same.

He does all his work by machine with different grades of mops, before using metal polish and then a milder polish still for the final luster, in most cases Autoglym Super Resin. This also leaves some protection behind to.

cool - shall be doing that then - should stop it tarnishing as well. Saying that though I just remembered it says long lasting protection on the Auto Glym metal polish anyway so shouldnt tarnish too bad - my exhaust stays looking good easily.

106 GTi
Weekly maintance - a coat of polish is all it needs.

You can get some laquer now that will take to polished metal but it dulls the finish slightly.

106 GTi
timsclio172 said:
cool - shall be doing that then - should stop it tarnishing as well. Saying that though I just remembered it says long lasting protection on the Auto Glym metal polish anyway so shouldnt tarnish too bad - my exhaust stays looking good easily.

You can if you wish do

AG metal polish - AG Super Resin and then there Extra Gloss Protection.

We do this on bikes where polished bits cannot easily be got at during normal cleaning, without taking parts off.

Audi TT 225
Good job for your first time mate well done. Told you it was easy :cool:

You know whats next dontcha.....

mani01.gif

do it!!!

need to get a spare one so I can still drive my car - gonna buy some proper stuff to do it with - mop heads etc. Gonna just do the Renault sport writing for now.