ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I think i have an oil leak from somewhere ( Picture Inside )

Range Rover Sport
Well I got back from Oulton Park yesterday, engine bay up just to check fluids and on a closer inspection there seems to be a lot of oil around the highlighted section.

The thing that really confuses me, its really thick oil. In fact its more like grease than oil. However after a quick look under the car there seems to be 2 oil lines running under the engine/sump. Again this is extremely dark oil ( Black ).

When I check the engine oil, it looks fresh and as it should not the type of colour it is in the highlighted section / under car?

or8a6d.jpg

( *Not my car or engine but an example )

1) Could it be oil that has gathered there over time and due to the 'track' driving heated up to an extreme it indeed got thinner and ran down the engine under the car? ( Here is me hoping )

2) Sump needing to be resealed? ( Not sure the oil would be where it is if it was the sump, would explain under the car though ).

3) Oil filter has a small leak? ( Again this wouldn't explain around the sensor though )

4) Dip tube leaking? ( As above not sure it'd explain around the senor )

The oil seemed to gather in between the oil filter and oil dip tube around and under the sensor.

Any suggestions would be great!

2005 Clio 182 FF
Well I got back from Oulton Park yesterday, engine bay up just to check fluids and on a closer inspection there seems to be a lot of oil around the highlighted section.

The thing that really confuses me, its really thick oil. In fact its more like grease than oil. However after a quick look under the car there seems to be 2 oil lines running under the engine/sump. Again this is extremely dark oil ( Black ).

When I check the engine oil, it looks fresh and as it should not the type of colour it is in the highlighted section / under car?

1) Could it be oil that has gathered there over time and due to the 'track' driving heated up to an extreme it indeed got thinner and ran down the engine under the car? ( Here is me hoping )

2) Sump needing to be resealed? ( Not sure the oil would be where it is if it was the sump, would explain under the car though ).

3) Oil filter has a small leak? ( Again this wouldn't explain around the sensor though )

4) Dip tube leaking? ( As above not sure it'd explain around the senor )

The oil seemed to gather in between the oil filter and oil dip tube around and under the sensor.

Any suggestions would be great!

Id be looking at the filter, or the little sensor that sits just there. Unless youve a remote filter housing?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It will be a mixture of oil dropping when the filter is removed/replaced and maybe a bit from the sensor.

Unless its proper fresh oil, I wouldn't be worried about it.

Range Rover Sport
That was my first (hopeful) thought.

However would it explain the 2 oil lines under the car?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That was my first (hopeful) thought.

However would it explain the 2 oil lines under the car?

I've yet to see a 2.0 clio without oil all over the bottom of it. And I've had more than 50 of the things.

Range Rover Sport
Ha I understand that, but I only cleaned underneath around 2 weeks ago.

Saying that it has had an oil and filter change since then...

Fingers crossed it's just built up over time and with the abuse of the track day heated up and ran.