ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I took a trip to RS Tuning and...

ph2 172
Hi guys, thought it would be good to share the power figures I got and what modifications I had done as I couldn't seem to find dyno print outs for an f4r with only head work and basic breathing mods. To see more about the car check out my progress thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...s-172-Build-Lots-of-Pictures&highlight=James'

Basically I got a 172, it ran 165bhp and later a piston let go. Rebuilt a second engine and the modifications carried out performance wise were:
KTR induction kit
RS stamped inlet
Port, Polished, Skimmed head and new valve guides by @ALD (Top workmanship and top fella! Definitely going back.)
Supertech Valves
ARP con rod bolts
toyosport 182 style manifold
KTR decat link pipe
KTR silenced stealth exhaust
A/C removed

After getting the car running it was booked in with @RSTuning for a remap as it was recommended after head work.
So the day came and I made the trip to RS Tuning, just like to say the guys there are a bunch of great lads and really felt welcome unlike some places I've been before.

Got it the car on the rollers, bearing in mind the original engine made 165bhp totally stock, I expected no where near the figure it made modified, first run was 179, second run was 181bhp, at the flywheel. I literally couldn't stop smiling as there was more to come out of it. Here's a picture of the run with the AFR's and low down it was very lean!! Surprised I didn't break something as I've done 2000miles on the engine before it was mapped.

969C4507-99DE-45EF-B254-E7F7902ED571.jpg

So Paul began to work his magic, loading up what I think was a 98ron rs tuner map, it hit the fuel cut at around 2000-2500 rpm, so he loaded on a map from a set of piper cams, and I think this was used as a base for tweaking, more fuel and adjusting the timing as it was knocking. A few more runs and she was done! Here is a graph of the before/after at the fly:

7C8F33F2-5E19-41D3-8120-3270620E7BC2.jpg

and at the wheels:

A18AA92E-659F-4B90-9E5B-DBCEC9DCFD59.jpg

Overall super happy with the result of 185bhp, the torque is much better than before and it is definitely noticeably faster!

I owe @RSTuning, @ALD and Adam renault_Wolverhampton a huge thank you all top people I would 110% recommend.

Oh and a few more pictures for good measure.

6C5D6C13-5A49-4F8E-ABD0-2EB2B46B2688.jpg

6E75BA97-769D-4798-872F-8DADF6675E16.jpg

121DD222-EBE4-47DC-86A7-752A00EE8F60.jpg

Last edited:

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Glad you like it mate.

Just to let you know it's. It an rstuner map it's an RS Tuning map :)

we we don't offer a set Ron map like fastchip do

ph2 172
Great result and a lovely torque curve :)

Be good to see what your setup does, similar engine with cams and bodies.
I'm still undecided between bodies and cams or boost.

I can see why bodies and cams are good, but for straight line speed against my mates' cars, 300bhp starlet and a v6 c2 I'm always going to be behind.
But with a turbo I just don't want lag when coming out of corner or daft spool causing wheel spin, I guess that would mean standalone Ecu and a diff.
Then the supercharging option seems to be the best, with controllable boost, but the cost is around 4.5k area which to me is a lot of saving.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
About time matey, my car will be going to Paul for mapping once ive done a few miles at low revs (got to get the bloody thing running 1st)

What cams do you have mate?

Glad your happy. :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Be good to see what your setup does, similar engine with cams and bodies.
I'm still undecided between bodies and cams or boost.

I can see why bodies and cams are good, but for straight line speed against my mates' cars, 300bhp starlet and a v6 c2 I'm always going to be behind.
But with a turbo I just don't want lag when coming out of corner or daft spool causing wheel spin, I guess that would mean standalone Ecu and a diff.
Then the supercharging option seems to be the best, with controllable boost, but the cost is around 4.5k area which to me is a lot of saving.

Straight lines are boring. Take them down some twisties instead and wait for them at the end.

ph2 172
Haha my comment was for Phase1sr, got you two mixed up.
True about the corners tho, we went to Malton last week via Helmsley and the 3 fastest cars in the bends were my 172, a 1.5dci mk3 clio but the lad at the wheel is nuts and an experienced track driver, and a honda civic b18 ek4 shape with fancy handling mods.
Suspension wise I've got cup shocks with eibach prolines.

ph2 172
Just as a thought, comparing my graph to that of an rs2 inlet, they seem to have very similar torque until 4750rpm, where mine increases over that of the rs2, however mine drops under 150 at 6500 rpm where as an rs2 holds onto it. I wonder how the two would compare in a straight line.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Hi guys, thought it would be good to share the power figures I got and what modifications I had done as I couldn't seem to find dyno print outs for an f4r with only head work and basic breathing mods. To see more about the car check out my progress thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...s-172-Build-Lots-of-Pictures&highlight=James'

Basically I got a 172, it ran 165bhp and later a piston let go. Rebuilt a second engine and the modifications carried out performance wise were:
KTR induction kit
RS stamped inlet
Port, Polished, Skimmed head and new valve guides by @ALD (Top workmanship and top fella! Definitely going back.)
Supertech Valves
ARP con rod bolts
toyosport 182 style manifold
KTR decat link pipe
KTR silenced stealth exhaust
A/C removed

After getting the car running it was booked in with @RSTuning for a remap as it was recommended after head work.
So the day came and I made the trip to RS Tuning, just like to say the guys there are a bunch of great lads and really felt welcome unlike some places I've been before.

Got it the car on the rollers, bearing in mind the original engine made 165bhp totally stock, I expected no where near the figure it made modified, first run was 179, second run was 181bhp, at the flywheel. I literally couldn't stop smiling as there was more to come out of it. Here's a picture of the run with the AFR's and low down it was very lean!! Surprised I didn't break something as I've done 2000miles on the engine before it was mapped.

969C4507-99DE-45EF-B254-E7F7902ED571.jpg

So Paul began to work his magic, loading up what I think was a 98ron rs tuner map, it hit the fuel cut at around 2000-2500 rpm, so he loaded on a map from a set of piper cams, and I think this was used as a base for tweaking, more fuel and adjusting the timing as it was knocking. A few more runs and she was done! Here is a graph of the before/after at the fly:

7C8F33F2-5E19-41D3-8120-3270620E7BC2.jpg

and at the wheels:

A18AA92E-659F-4B90-9E5B-DBCEC9DCFD59.jpg

Overall super happy with the result of 185bhp, the torque is much better than before and it is definitely noticeably faster!

I owe @RSTuning, @ALD and Adam @renault_Wolverhampton a huge thank you all top people I would 110% recommend.

Oh and a few more pictures for good measure.

6C5D6C13-5A49-4F8E-ABD0-2EB2B46B2688.jpg

6E75BA97-769D-4798-872F-8DADF6675E16.jpg

121DD222-EBE4-47DC-86A7-752A00EE8F60.jpg
Good results mate

How long did you have to wait after booking it in ?

ph2 172
Not long at all really, about 3 weeks but that was due to them only taking 1 car at a time as Paul's mrs was expecting at the time. I guess it would be shorter time now, don't let the wait put you off, it's worth it for such a thorough job!