ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I wanna go faster!

Right Im getting bored in my 1.2 16v - its only 5ish months old but Im getting a bit bored with its limited speed

Can someone suggest a legal way of making my car faster without bumping up the insurance too much? I dont want any exterior mods cos I believe that cars (especially basic model ones) should look how they were meant to look!

Any help? Thanks chaps!

(and please dont suggest buying a 172/182 - Ive thought of it!)

Will brakes help go faster?

What sort of stuff needs to be done to the suspension?

Im a bit of a novice Im afraid!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Id just stick it out till you can afford a newer faster car.

No point really modding a 1.2 IMO at best once modded itll be like a 1.4! Lol

Not a Clio

Quote: Originally posted by FN04 XZE on 16 August 2004

Right Im getting bored in my 1.2 16v - its only 5ish months old but Im getting a bit bored with its limited speed

Can someone suggest a legal way of making my car faster without bumping up the insurance too much? I dont want any exterior mods cos I believe that cars (especially basic model ones) should look how they were meant to look!

Any help? Thanks chaps!

(and please dont suggest buying a 172/182 - Ive thought of it!)
how about a valver instead then? (1.8 16v) plenty in the cars for sale forum.

I dont think Id go for a car older than a couple of years old now Ive had this one, no servicing, no MOT or anything, plus you know its gonna start 99.9% of the time!

Tom 16v - Thats half what im thinking tbh, I wish Id have thought harder when buying!

Badinvincible - whats NOS?!

Not a Clio

Quote: Originally posted by FN04 XZE on 16 August 2004

I dont think Id go for a car older than a couple of years old now Ive had this one, no servicing, no MOT or anything, plus you know its gonna start 99.9% of the time!
fair enough. Just because its not brand spanking new doesnt mean you need worry about it starting. If you look after a car you wont have many problems.

Yaris Hybrid

Well the 1.2 is pretty slow, for the price of chavin up your motor (a few hundred notes) you could get a 2 litre Cavalier with a years MOT and that will blow away any chaved up 1.2! Have that as a second car just for going fast in. Drive it third party on your existing insurance. At the end of the year if it wont pass an MOT flog it. You lose about £150 for the year plus tax - peanuts basically! You can drive the thing like a right t**ser as you have nothing to lose. The Clio can remain as your reliable work transport.

get a zorst system and induction kit on there, then just go for style. sum nice 17s, full colour code etc.
Be patient and build up ya no claims.
Thats what im doing

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

well u dont have to get a chavalier just summet cheap and with a big engine how bout sierra 2.0i gls twin cam goe like stink lol

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 16 August 2004

Well the 1.2 is pretty slow, for the price of chavin up your motor (a few hundred notes) you could get a 2 litre Cavalier with a years MOT and that will blow away any chaved up 1.2! Have that as a second car just for going fast in. Drive it third party on your existing insurance. At the end of the year if it wont pass an MOT flog it. You lose about £150 for the year plus tax - peanuts basically! You can drive the thing like a right t**ser as you have nothing to lose. The Clio can remain as your reliable work transport.

Yeah thats what i do cos my clio is so slow,got a 16v red top cav mot nearly up but had it 10 months,had an ax gt year before(swopped it and 1000 golf balls for the cav);),metro,gti and 205 gti,drove them to death,just keep swoppin them when mot runs out,if its quick someone will buy it mot or not,

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 16 August 2004

And this is why we have sky high insurance premiums in the uk.... without the car being properly insured you cannot drive it under the "third party" part of your existing policy, and if you legally own the car you also cannot use that part of the policy......

Drive like a t**ser and youll either a) lose your licence or b) die......... what great advice you give out mate!

:cry:

Yaris Hybrid

There is a whole forum on this site dedicated for people to discuss how they drive like t**sers (driving tales)!!!!

Anyway driving like t**ser aint the same as driving dangerously/illegally. It just means abusing the car! Take a 2.0 Cav to the red line in every gear up to 70mph on a dual carriageway and you havent broken any laws. You also havent driven any faster or more dangerously than someone in a 182 barely pushing it! You would be a bit of a d1ck or t**ser or whatever cos an engine has a finite life span but as you dont care about the car it doesnt matter. Driving like a t**ser can also mean fitting a big exhaust, fitting a loud system and cruising round town forcing everyone else to listen to your crappy dance music!

My insurance says I can "drive any other car not owned by policy holder". Hmm not much detail in that sentence. It would be dead easy to register the car in my grans name who doesnt even have a licence. Of course I wouldnt be able to get the car taxed unless she had an insurance certificate but where do I stand if when I buy the car I give the owner £160 and say put some tax on it before you sign it over? That way I get the car for a year which is as long as I wanted to keep it anyway.

Yaris Hybrid

Small Print:

SECTION A THIRD PARTY LIABILITY

1, Indemnity to the Policyholder

We will indemnify you against legal liability for damage, claimants costs and expenses in the event of an accident involving:

a) Your Car

b) The driving by You, with the owners permission, of any motor car not belonging to you and not hired to you under a hire purchase agreement provided that:

(i) You are entitled by your effective certificate of motor insurance to drive such a car

(ii) You observe the licence conditions applicable

(iii) There is no other insurance in force which covers the same claim

(iv) The car is being driven in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, The Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

etc

Remapped derv Golf

You will never ever make a 1.2 go fast!!! Would take £1000s to get it up to 1.6 performance!!

As Tom says go the Robfenn method (to coin a phase) and make the car handle and brake better and also look better with some good alloys. A car doesnt always have to be fast to be fun!!!

Besides whats the point of making the engine more powerful when youre running on shopping hatch springs and tiny brakes with drums on the rear!

Waste of time!

Go the Robfenn way!

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1090485704__insurance.jpg

Yeah i agree... probably is a waste of time tbh (it is quite fast if theres only 1 of you in the car, honest!)

The idea of visually modifyig my car is not going to work - I cant stand cars that are made to look sporty when theyre just low engine capacity cars.

Could consider just getting a second car for fun, but woud never go as low as a cavalier, no way no how - sorry if this causes offence but theyre sh*theaps!

I might just put lexus lights on and get some neons... thatll make my car go faster, obviously! ;)

Be paitient m8, i know its hard, but itll pay off in the end on ya ncb, then ya can go for something like a Valver, ya can then scare ya m8s sh*tless when they think ya still got ya 1.2.

There are too many t**sers on the road as it is, ya dont want to add to them do ya.

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 17 August 2004

Small Print:
SECTION A THIRD PARTY LIABILITY

1, Indemnity to the Policyholder

We will indemnify you against legal liability for damage, claimants costs and expenses in the event of an accident involving:

a) Your Car

b) The driving by You, with the owners permission, of any motor car not belonging to you and not hired to you under a hire purchase agreement provided that:

(i) You are entitled by your effective certificate of motor insurance to drive such a car

(ii) You observe the licence conditions applicable

(iii) There is no other insurance in force which covers the same claim

(iv) The car is being driven in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, The Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

etc
Ok, very good but I still stand by my statement that any car used on the public highway must have a minimum of third party insurance to be allowed on the road, and as you yourself have stated your insurance only insures you in someone elses car whilst you are driving, the moment you step out of the car the car becomes yet another uninsured motor vehicle, and it is stated that whilst a car is on the public highway it is classed as "in use" and therefore must have a minimum of third party insurance... (section 143 of the Road Traffic act 1988) and there is also case law to back this up.

Yaris Hybrid

Please post links to the case law.

I cant believe it is taken so literally that as soon as you step out of the car it becomes uninsured. Anyway if you are using the car purely for ranting you can keep it parked on your drive and when you go to the pub the pub car park is private property.

God forbid you might want to post a letter so you pull up opposite the post box and as your are running 2 metres from the car to the post box the police nick you as the car has no insurance!!!! What about if you attach a piece of string to the steering wheel and hold the other end in your hand as your run to the post box! Would you be covered then as you are in constant contact with the car!!!?? Or you could form a human chain with your passenger touching the car!

Remapped derv Golf

Many insurance companies only allow people to drive other peoples cars TP only in an emergency only! Like if the owner is ill or something! Check with youre company. The company I work for does this.

Speed is fun but you can get more from a decent handling car.

Tom and Adam are right..

FK coilovers made a big difference to mine, i spent close to a grand buying them, getting them fitted and then set up. I would consider them a must buy!

I also had 4 pot brakes, they were also expensive but made a huge difference also.

-Rob