ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I want my Clio to breathe better.. What options are there?

BG 182
Ive heard quite a lot about enclosed induction air feeds etc. Ive always had open induction kits on previous cars. Im a bit stuck to what kind of setup would suit the RenaultSports?

Im ideally looking for something that is going to give my 182 the best performance possible, what have you got and what do you think would benefit my car the most?

Some that I have heard of before are:
BMC
ITG
Piper
Green

Thanks everyone!

Dan

Stripped yozza'd cup
Re: I want my Clio o breathe better.. What options are there?

None of them are as good as the standard setup. The ONLY induction setup that's worth the money (other than itb's) is the JMS inlet.

Lionel Richie

standard airbox, standard air filter, samco elbow = the best, everything else is simply a waste of time

BG 182 FF

What Fred says imo, I have being toying with the idea for a couple of months trawling through loads of posts on here. Only reason for having a enclosed induction kit is a bit of extra noise when you accelerate. So if thats what you want then Jms setup or v6 airbox.

BG 182

You learn something new everyday lol

So basically performance wise, the standard setup is the best

BG 182 FF

From the information on here I have gathered it is mate, i am going to spend the 100 odd quid on other parts of the car instead.

BG 182

Yeah thats fair enough then, I was looking at the BMC which is nearly 200 notes. Can use that cash for something different.. Where would I pick up a v6 airbox from?

BG 182 FF

Espace V6 airbox - 7700260096 - £61.10 from wests renault, price may have changed. Espace has 1 outlet hole, the ph1 airbox is the same but has 2 holes.

BG 182

Espace V6 airbox - 7700260096 - £61.10 from wests renault, price may have changed. Espace has 1 outlet hole, the ph1 airbox is the same but has 2 holes.

Would that simply replace my airbox?
And would I see a difference in sound when accelerating?

Ph2 Clio 172

V6 boxes do nothing for power, but they do make it sound nice. However, if sound is what your after, just undo the pipe on the standard airbox for free.

There was a thread here a while back comparing air feed setups back to back. A £99 and £199 induction kit produced less power, while a decent foam filter produced less than 1bhp more. When you then consider a cleaning kit for a foam filter will cost twice as much as a new standard filter, you realise theres little point in deviating from stock.

BG 182 FF

Would that simply replace my airbox?
And would I see a difference in sound when accelerating?

Yes it would, and yes would be a bit more of a deeper sound, but would try what Skeeter has said about undo the pipe or getting rid of the acoustic valve first. Again personally would save the money though.

BG 182

I see im a little better clued up now about it all, that what you pay the membership for :D
thanks for everyones advice, I may invest into a v6 airbox

BG 182

Yes it would, and yes would be a bit more of a deeper sound, but would try what Skeeter has said about undo the pipe or getting rid of the acoustic valve first. Again personally would save the money though.

sorry not greatly clued up about anything under the bonnet, which pip exactly am I going to be looking at?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

As above, listen to Fred.

Renault have got the induction system pretty much as good as it gets. Replace the filter for a foam panel, and you're done.

Generally speaking, most mods you could do to it will either lose you power, or lose you drivability.

Ph2 Clio 172

sorry not greatly clued up about anything under the bonnet, which pip exactly am I going to be looking at?

Hi HartZ

This is where the pipe were on about is:

airbox.png

There will be a large pipe (about 15cm diameter) entering the right hand side of the airbox at the top there. It is a push fit, so no tools needed. It is held in with tabs top and bottom, so to remove it simpley hold it at the top and bottom, squeeze it, and pull it out. You will have to give it a good squeeze (oo err) as the plastic is quite solid. Once out just tuck it down by the battery out the way.

It might have a minute loss of power, but it will sound much gruntier when you gun it now. Coupled with my aftermarket exhaust it makes mine sound proper chav :), lol.