ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I Will pay someone to install my Sat Nav

Right,

Ive just had a VDO Dayton satnav system delivered, and i have no idea how to install it.

I dont mind travelling a little, but is there someone on here who could install it for me, id pay ofcourse.

The problem is my location, im in Wales.

Cheers

Ford Fiesta

nothing wrong with wales! ;)

is it the MS5000 what is based on renault carminat system?

Ford Fiesta

I have the carminat renault system, are you looking to install the same as this then, maybe offer advice where things are mounted?

Liam

That would be great Liam.

It basically the same system, the screen is a bit different, and i have a remote instead of the controls on the dash.

Its the wiring mostly thats confusing the hell out of me.

Ford Fiesta

http://img190.exs.cx/img190/223/remote1vb.jpgwith the coloured single wires I dont think I am going to be of much help.

The rear of the cd rom drive, you have the antenna, and two other connections which to you and me are all pretty obvious where they go.

The wires on mine all go right round to under the drivers seat where they go in another concealed black box (whatever this is). The tmc wires go into the rear of the stereo, which again is fairly simple.

So really Im not sure I can be much help on the wires causing the "problem"? Unless I have read your post wrong?

I will have a closer look at mine in the morning and try and take some close up pics for you.

There is another user on here that has had the same/very similar system installed afterwards on his 172 I am sure.

Failing that Renault sell that system aftermarket so I am sure they can install it for you? or get you some instalation instructions.

Liam

http://img215.exs.cx/img215/4108/screen7sy.jpg

Ford Fiesta

ps the pics above are from a non UK cliosport member who had the nav fitted as the carminat system was not available in his country.

As I say though I will have a closer look at ine for you tomorrow.

Liam

Thanks Liam.

Most of it i think i can handle.
But i have no idea where the single coloured wires go.

Can someone with half a brain install this for me? lol

Liam, do you have pics of your boot, with the sat nav system exposed. I seem to remember you having them? Any chance you can mail them to me mate.

Thanks

Ford Fiesta

cant find any at the mo with the cover removed although I do have some, think i uploaded them when I was reparing the leaking wheel arch.

I can take some more if you wish although behind that black plastic cover is the cd drive which looks the same as your apart from mine says carminat on it and yours says VDO. Same unit though. It is mounted vertically on 4 screws on a bracket which i believe every clio has. (check behind your carpet)

As you can see about the black case under the seat there are plenty wires under there, in another box, whatever this is for. Maybe it is the brain bit that connects it to the car cos in the menu on mine you can go in and see battery voltage and other car diagnostics etc. So what I am thinking is where do your wires go, simply from the CD drive into the screen? The main parts in your pics are the drive, speaker and screen yeah? Or is that another part on the papers to the left of your pic showing the whole package?

Liam

Ford Fiesta

could well be. I always presumed it used the standard stereo to recieve the TMC signal via classic FM. If not which antenna does it use to recieve the classic fm signal to get the tmc carrier?

By the way I had to buy a new Teleatlas map at £200 with tmc codes to get my tmc working. Using standard renault map TMC is red as in not available. Which is daft if they go to trouble of installing the TMC unit under drivers seat. Although I did manage to get a refund of Renault UK.

From your diagram it looks like you also need to connect to parts of car etc. Lights, speedo etc

Eg when my auto lights come on the screen changes colour on the nav too.

Not sure about halford being able to fit it, may be they can but id try a more dedicated nav installer?

http://img215.exs.cx/img215/7076/tmc3xm.jpg

Ford Fiesta

mm, may well remove my headunit in morning want to see if it is at all connected to the nav.

Of if the radio antenna is split etc. Whats your tmc antenna look like?

Sorry I cant be of any more help mate. If you would like any closer pics of anything let me know.

Liam

I appreciate you taking the time mate.

The TMC antenna is very similar to the GPS antenna in the bottom left hand corner of the pic, but its smaller.

Ford Fiesta

IF you are still stuck in a few weeks Ill pop round, coming down to Ammanford again, least then you can have a close look.

Liam

Ford Fiesta

http://img55.exs.cx/img55/8984/screen0td.jpg

http://img55.exs.cx/img55/8162/main9hu.jpg

2005_dynamqiue. Afaik they have stopped it as an option now, on the clio at least, its the same system as the rest of the renault range. It was factory fit only. In the renault mags they do offer basically the same system as a dealer fit option. This is the same as what phunkey monkeh has purchased.

Not sure why they stopped it, they said uptake was slow which it would be at £1500 but it was always the same and they did it for the 172 too. Maybe they ran out of parts and not viable to buy more from VDO.

The pics are from i first got car, see TMC is in red meaning not working. now it says TMC info in Green and picks up traffic problems from around the country. Think they still do the other more basic nav though, which is still over £1000!

It is a good system but costly too, I probably dont use it as often as Id like to. Good for long trips avoiding jams etc tho!

Liam

Has anyone connected the standard head unit to the VDO system? does it display the radio presets, cd track etc?

pfft, works better.

The emergency services use the VDO Dayton systems ;)

You cant play a dvd/cd at the same time as the nav ! unless you get a changer.

Plus its about £700 more ;)

oh yes i can play dvd/cd/mp3 at the same time so nerrrrrrr :p

The emergency services use the VDO Dayton systems

i wouldnt brag about that have you seen how long it takes for them to turn up !!!!! its because the sat nav gets them lost :p