ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ICE advice for a rookie

BG 182
First of all, I apologise as I'm sure there has been plenty of vague questions on subjects like this before!

Just got me a 182 and I want to upgrade the sound system in it. My budget is probably about £400 (maybe can squeeze a bit more if required) and for this I'm thinking of getting: Headunit with USB/iPod/mp3 compatability, set of component speakers/tweeters for the front and then the possibility to stick an amp/sub in at a later date.

Am I looking for the right kind of set up for my budget, and any advice on the best places to get stuff from in the midlands/on line.

Also any particular parts/brands I should look out for, or more importantly avoid?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Stripped yozza'd cup
On a budget, your best bet is to get a head unit, and an amp to run some front components, then spend money on fitting them properly.... Sound deadening and sealing. You'll get good sound quality and more bass than you could imagine out of some well fitted door speakers.

90% of a good sound sound system is fitting.

Listerine & Poledo
Grab a decent headunit for around £200, then use the rest to get a sub.

the factory kit is decent enough but lacks bass.

then, as Jack says, you can amp and properly fit some comps up front.

I've been toying with the idea of ditching the sub and replacing the rear 'door' card speakers fro 6" bass drivers and plonking some 4" co-ax in the parcel-shelf mounts where there's currently just some foam. but that's gonna run to dollars

Stripped yozza'd cup
You don't need a sub if you've got some decent, well installed components. All it will do is allow people outside to hear your music as well.

Mondeo diesel barge
Definitely invest in some sound deadening. I went with silent coat from car audio direct, cheaper than the rest and did a great job. I'd also look on ebay for things like an amp, I managed to pick up a Genesis amp for £50, powered my Genesis components perfectly.

So something like;

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/silent-coat-door-kit.html
+
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-kdc6047u.html (Have this one in my current car)
+
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/genesis-profile-13.html (similar to what I had)
+
Search eBay for a decent amp, can get Genesis Profile 2 or 4 for a decent price second hand.

You'll also need the cabling, speaker wire, RCA's (If you're going with an amp) + the cost of fitting if you don't fancy it yourself. I was a complete noob before I installed mine and managed quite well, better than I thought. It did take a long time and some thought going into it, but was worth it in the end.

It depends on what you want from the sound really and what you mainly listen to. If you're a bass head, then what I've recommended isn't really the best, Genesis/Focal are more geared towards sound quality than all out bass.

Listerine & Poledo
Fair point on the sub, yes.

I went down that route mostly because I already had one, I do want to juice up the fronts, but time/effort/cost keep putting that plan on the back-burner

Mondeo diesel barge
I got a profile 2 for £45 I think it was and a profile 4 for £80. Sold the 4 on though, only needed to power the comps. Great amp, especially for that price.

Listerine & Poledo
alternatively, grab an Alpine head unit, bolt the power-pack KTP-445 onto it and skip the amp-rigging.

wont have the same punch-for-pound, will be far easier.

PH1 iceburg
I ran an alpine headunit with apline components up front and a 12" subwoofer in a box in the boot and it sounded really nice and still had room in the boot.

my whole ice install was done on a budget, its not the most expensive but it consists of an old xplod 12" 1300w sub, ive had for years, equivalent now would cost about 80 quid tops, inphase 600w amp (brand new but from ebay for 38 quid), edge coax speakers (£25) in the rear and SPL dynamics component up front (£50), the boot floor and the areas surrounding the speakers have been dynamatted, my head unit is a sony gtx540 (used to cost around 160 quid, can get it for 100 now, has full ipod support, usb, aux in etc)