ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ice Hockey

2014 Focus Titanium
Hi guys,

Second time I've shot Ice Hockey, I find my 55-250 IS a bit limiting because of the slow aperture at the long end, but I found that most times I could shoot at 1/400-500 so no too bad. These were at ISO3200.

Anyway here's the pics, would love some CC from you all!

5093561296_6a10118ddb_z.jpg

5092960269_de8a38fd44_z.jpg

5093557012_fe62e9b12a_z.jpg

5092956979_2029693203_z.jpg

5093554384_e088eed8ea_z.jpg

5093550824_fb6877c513_z.jpg

5092948827_fd9a30d466_z.jpg

Would love 2.8 to get a shallower DOF and higher shutter speed but unfortunately the wallet won't allow it for a while yet!

Cupra
Are you shooting through the glass too? The noise levels look okay at this res too, what camera are you using?

Oil Burner
They are pretty decent shots, and Noise looks pretty well controlled. Best way to improve them in my opinion is tighter framing and a lower angle to the players.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
always mean to go to the Vipers game up here but not sure how they would feel me dragging my 70-200 l lens in when I will be a spectator

2014 Focus Titanium
Are you shooting through the glass too? The noise levels look okay at this res too, what camera are you using?

I'm using a 500D, I find the high ISO performance absolutely fantastic to be honest! These weren't shot through glass, I was up in the stands.

Great photo's. I'm big into Ice Hockey!
I'm a Steelers fan myself ;)

I've watched the Stingrays a couple of times because my best mate Matty Davies plays for them so I get in for free :D It's a fantastic spectator sport!

One of the games I went to was at home against the Steelers last season (in the playoffs iirc) and that was such a great game, best one I've been to yet!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
im struggling to like my 500D :( need to mess around with it some more as find im getting poor result unless the light is 100% optimum and thats with half decent glass too

2014 Focus Titanium
im struggling to like my 500D :( need to mess around with it some more as find im getting poor result unless the light is 100% optimum and thats with half decent glass too

What is it you're struggling with? What did you have before the 500D?

I previously had a 400D and must admit the 500D high ISO performance is light years ahead, when I shot a hockey game with my 400D the highest usable ISO was 800 and that would give me 1/125s, whereas here I was at ISO3200 which produces lovely shots and that was giving me 1/500s.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I've watched the Stingrays a couple of times because my best mate Matty Davies plays for them so I get in for free :D It's a fantastic spectator sport!

One of the games I went to was at home against the Steelers last season (in the playoffs iirc) and that was such a great game, best one I've been to yet!

You're right about that! Can't beat it.
I'll look out for him when the Stingrays next come to Sheffield :)

Renault Clio 1.4
Used to go and watch the Storm before they became the Phoenix? A friend of mine is a goaltender so I used to go along with him. Used to enjoy it, the pace was crazy. Good photos.

Nice photos, I play ice hockey and it certainly is a fantastic sport I feel that it’s under rated within the UK compared to other countries. I’m hoping to attend the Milton Keynes game at the end of the month while am in London as I used to live there. I’m looking forward to it and hopefully can get a few cheeky shots with the camera. ;)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Was at an NHL pre season game the other weekend (Kings vs Avalanches in Vegas) and made me really want a decent camera over the point and shoot I've got!

Got some pictures but everything just wasn't quick enough, if that makes sense (it's just a panasonic ZX3), so they were very s**t.

Plus we were right behind the glass so had no choice but to shoot through it, but they were awesome seats :)

Tried to get a shot in of the abuse the fans were giving Colorado as we were right by the 'players tunnel' they were using, was so funny.

An old team mate from my roller hockey team went on to play for Cardiff back in the day (when we played roller his older brother was their goal tender).

I stopped playing for about 13 years but got back into it a year or so ago, best thing I ever did.

Last edited: