ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ICE - how much should i pay to fit it

ive been offered £140 to fit:

12inch kenwood sub 1000w rms, sub box, kenwood amp, kenwood head unit (W9027), 2 kenwood speakers, and attaching the adaptor for the renault stalk controller.

£140 is a little much, but i know nothing about fitting ICE in a car. How should i go about fitting it? none of my friends have the tools to do it.

if i cant fit it for less than £100 i could always sell it to someone here for £400 in total? its all brand new stuff.

thanks for your help guys

im in west london, Ealing. all i have is a soldering iron with cheap nasty solder. Need to join the box (amp terminals) to the subwoofer. But i need a special kind of solder to get the best out of my speakers.

then i got about 3 screwdrivers (from playmobil ages 8+)

and some cellotape.

Looks like a trip to halford for me

Mondeo STTDCI

Are the speakers you have components or co-axials (do you have separate tweeters?).

I should imagine the H/U fitting is easy (1/2 hour TOPS) but then running from the pre-out to the amp (speaking of which must be a really decent amp to be handling that sub, is it going to be doing the speakers too?).

Anyway running the cables is what takes the time, connecting up is easy. You could run the wires yourself pretty much without tools to save some cash on fitting. Good ICE shops go up to £60/hr+ for fitting, usually much cheaper if you buy the stuff from them though.

£60 per hour? and here i am struggling at university like a sucker! jeez quit while im ahead and work at motorworld for a living :p

and the ironic thing is im studying automotive engineering design. Anyhoo, yeah i got the correct amp to go with the sub. i;d never turn up full tho - dont want to attract attention. Just looking for good clarity in music.

apart from the standard factory fit tweeters on the clio mk3, theyre kenwood 1379ie. But yeah, id like to join the tweeters to them anyway, and, if its possible, id like to put the 10watt factory fit renault speakers in the rear seats (err.. i ran out of cash to buy 6 x 9s)

depends how you are having the amp mounted and how it all slots into the boot.

Depending where you are and the place you go to, most places charge around £35/hr, often + VAT, so your price dont seem too bad, figure half hour max. for fitting head unit, then allow an hour and a half for removal of stuff and running cables if there arent any problems, then wiring it all up.

All depends how much work there is to do in the boot to be honest. Its not extortionate put it that way!!

the hard bit is running the cables and reading through posts and how to guides you could do that yourself!!

Mondeo STTDCI

To be able to give you a price Id need to know how you intend to wire the system up to be honest.

If you running the speakers off the H/U (i.e not amped) then those are a piece of piss you could do yourself, as well as the head unit, with no tools at all apart from some stereo keys (circa 99p off Ebay and a star headed screwdriver and some speaker wire connectors).

If you have a 4way amp and are using 2 channels bridged for the sub and the other 2 channels for the speakers then it becomes a bit complicated

i drove round chiswick high road, couldnt find ace cafe, my eyes were tired so i gave up. Ill try tomorrow again.

i need help in fitting the cables, then i need help with fitting and connecting which cable where. Taking the seats out and the carpet is one thing, putting it all back is another! ill see what i can do with the local mechanic. Id be happy to spend a total of £80 fitting it. £80? i could buy a pair of JL 200watt speakers for that.

i intend to use a 2 channel amp for one sub woofer - which is boxed in the rear.

i plan to fix that amp to the back of the rear seats, or in the floor of the boot

then, if needed, i can somehow connect the two kenwood 5.25inch speakers to the amplifier. Remove the renault speakers from the front seats and put them next to the rear seat. Connect them to the tweeters, and fir the head unit. Finally, connecting the stalk controller adaptor (which involves talking out part of the dashboard).

sounds like a big ass job. im guessing it would take a professional around an hour or so to do it, on a good day where hes not busy.

would take most professionals longer than that, the ones i have used are a little slow but do take care in their work. if you have done it a few times, (like i unfortunately have) the dash can be on, stalk kit fitted and dash back on in 20 mins, if its your first time then ouch its gonna take some time!!

Nissan Jewk

ace cafe is just off the north circ, by hanger lane, only mentioned chiswick as thats the area I was coming from... lol

Ziel Nurburgring

No disrepect intended, but with a name like cabbagekitten are you female? I would suggest having a bash yourself as the most recent shape clio is an absolute dream to wire up. The only tough bit is getting the wire through the bulkhead, and once you know where that goes your off.

If i was a bit more local, i would volunteer to do it FOC. Maybe we could have a local meet at your gaff and you supply the teas! Nothing like CS decending on your house on a saturday

ITR UKDC2

Quote: Originally posted by cabbagekitten on 27 January 2005

i drove round chiswick high road, couldnt find ace cafe, my eyes were tired so i gave up. Ill try tomorrow again.

i need help in fitting the cables, then i need help with fitting and connecting which cable where. Taking the seats out and the carpet is one thing, putting it all back is another! ill see what i can do with the local mechanic. Id be happy to spend a total of £80 fitting it. £80? i could buy a pair of JL 200watt speakers for that.

so close.......................yet so far away!

ACE is like 5 mins up the road from where you were

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 27 January 2005

The only tough bit is getting the wire through the bulkhead, and once you know where that goes your off.
Speaking of that, does anyone know where the hole in the bulkhead is as im planning to do mine next week.

its at the front passenger side, under the glove box to the top left hand side.

Also, if your gonna wire it yourself, remember to seperate the AUX and power cables to run down each side of the car, so you dont get Alt. feedback. Otherwise, like me, you will get whining sounds that will p!ss you off big time.

If your taking the dash off, dont get your hand caught under it...its hurts. :(

I could fit it for you for a lot less than £140, im in south east london (bromley)

PM if your interested.

Should take a couple of hours I would have thought! Im sure you dont need to take the dash off to connect the stalk controller, thats only for the display adaptor I think.

i know the name cabbagekitten is a lil, erm. anyway. I signed up to a fourm and i couldnt think of any screen name. So it asked me to think of something i like and another thing i hate. kittens are cute and cabbages taste wrank(unless u smoke it). Blink 172 is a cool name! good think u dont drive a 182.

i already have a kenwood cd changer with an fm modulator all wired up (it came with the car) and i wanna dis mantle it and sell it. So before i wire up my sound system i have to take the cd changer out - which requires more ££ from the kind person wireing up my car.

i tried having a bash at connecting the front speakers but i didnt know what i was doing so i stopped

oh and... no ive never smoked a cabbage before but it sounds interesting!