ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ideal coilover settings?

E91 M Sport
I have a set of Gaz coilovers installed on my 182, and I'd like to know what settings people are running (Gaz or otherwise):

Also, the springs on the rear are harder than the front, does this mean that the dampers are designed in the same way (i.e. on the hardest setting all-round, the rear dampers will be harder because the springs are)?

I have wheels that are 4kg lighter per corner than standard....should this allow me to run the dampers slighty softer than a standard car (because the wheel will have less intertia when tackling a bump)?

On trackdays, is it wise to make the suspension as hard as possible, or is there an ideal setting for the spring / damper combo that shouldn't be messed with (like a few 'clicks' either way)?

Is it usual for the suspension to be slightly noiser with coilovers installed?

Any other useful bits of info would be welcome too!

Cheers,
Mike

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
miketheman2k said:
I have a set of Gaz coilovers installed on my 182, and I'd like to know what settings people are running (Gaz or otherwise):

Also, the springs on the rear are harder than the front, does this mean that the dampers are designed in the same way (i.e. on the hardest setting all-round, the rear dampers will be harder because the springs are)?

The dampers will have the same characteristics, the rear springs are a higher rate due to the motion ratio...they have to be proportionally relational to the fronts in terms of wheel rate

I have wheels that are 4kg lighter per corner than standard....should this allow me to run the dampers slighty softer than a standard car (because the wheel will have less intertia when tackling a bump)?

Makes sense to me lol

On trackdays, is it wise to make the suspension as hard as possible, or is there an ideal setting for the spring / damper combo that shouldn't be messed with (like a few 'clicks' either way)?

Depends what tyres and track really mate....generally its better to have them fairly hard to reduce body roll

yup especially with the GAZ setup as they bin the OE rubber insulation on the rear

Cheers,
Mike

Hope that helps mate

Gary

E91 M Sport
Cheers Gary, very useful :)

In the same way that hard springs and soft dampers allow too much spring movement and rubbish handling, is the opposite a problem too; having the dampers too hard?

What's the wheel rate?

Rather than speculating, pay someone to set them up properly.

Corner Weight / Camber / Toe

Cost about £150-£350 depending on where done, but... you will find the difference is as big again from the shift to coilovers, as the shift from coilovers to properly set up coilovers.

If you are up north we have a company who we use. Northampton Motorsport do it, Mark Fish does it along with most other motorsport centres.

/y0z

/y0z

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
miketheman2k said:

Cheers,
Mike

only with the gaz set up, they rattle and clunk.... i got rid of mine for some H&R's, difference was like night and day

E91 M Sport
gt_gaz said:
only with the gaz set up, they rattle and clunk.... i got rid of mine for some H&R's, difference was like night and day

Do you think that was because of the top mounts? Perhaps I should use the old 182 top mounts instead.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
no, its deffo NOT the top mounts... is it from the rear?