ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ideas for boot setup

Mk1 Ph3
Hi,

I'm looking to add a sub and 6x9s etc. to my Mk1 Ph3 boot. I'm in a band and so I need to use my boot for carrying my bass amp around. Because of this, I don't think I'm able to put my 6x9s in my parcel shelf and now I don't really know what to do.

Any ideas?

Milo

BMW 330ci Clubsport
work out how much space you have in your car with your gear in it. then decide if you can get away with a box for a 12" sub, or if you need to settle for a 10" sub

dont bother with 6x9's, they just do loudness not quality or bass
although boxed 6x9's do sound quite good

"Navy" N17 TWO
You like 6x9s yet don't know what components are? :lolup:

Don't worry - I was at that stage too - ONCE!

Iceberg Ph1
Well I listen to a lot of Drum and Bass and Dubstep but also Indie (Don't be hating :rasp:) and so I like to have bass yet clarity as well and that's why I like 6x9s.

Components?

Components basically replace the OE speakers in the car (tweeters and door), and are usually a hell of a lot better sounding then 6x9. They use a crossover which basically splits treble to the tweeters and mid range to the door. bass would come from a sub and amp combo.

I would go for this option any day tbh!

Mk1 Ph3
You like 6x9s yet don't know what components are? :lolup:

Don't worry - I was at that stage too - ONCE!

It's my first car c'mon :(

Components basically replace the OE speakers in the car (tweeters and door), and are usually a hell of a lot better sounding then 6x9. They use a crossover which basically splits treble to the tweeters and mid range to the door. bass would come from a sub and amp combo.

I would go for this option any day tbh!

Ahh right, so does it normally come with both a tweeter and mid? I've looked around eBay and there are quite a few on there, can anyone recommend some good value for money ones preferably less than £40/£50?

Mk1 Ph3
Also, what measurement is the size of the speaker i.e. is it the diagonal length, the height or the size of the cone itself?

Component speakers include a pair of tweeters and woofers, connected by a crossover.

The crossover (small box normally) filters the sound, to make sure the smaller tweeters (ones in the dash of Clio's) and the larger woofers (13cm ones in the doors of Clio's) are outputting the correct frequencies of sound, to ensure the quality is maximised.

I.e the tweeters play the higher frequencies, but not the lower frequencies, and the woofers play the lower frequencies, but not the really high frequencies.

Normally its advised once you have connected the tweeter and woofer to the crossover, to connect the crossover input to an external amp, which itself is connected to the headunit, to ensure the components are receiving adequate power, which most headunits will not do.

Edit: generally the size of the speaker is the diameter of the outer rim. standard Clio door speakers are 13cm/5.25"

Last edited:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
Your sins have been forgiven Milo lol :p

As said, a nice set of components up front and an amp & sub in the boot does the basic job, then if you want more power, get an amp for the components.
DONT worry about the rear - the head unit will be sufficient enough for that :)

Mk1 Ph3
Are you sure the Mk1 has door speakers because there's nothing to indicate that it does e.g. a mesh/grill. But it does have 3.5/4" speakers either side at the front, one near to the ignition and one next to the glove box. This is why I'm having trouble choosing what to do :(

I'm free tomorrow so I was going to take my door card off to see if there is a speaker there but I don't really want to do it if it definitely doesn't have a speaker in the door?

Are you sure the Mk1 has door speakers because there's nothing to indicate that it does e.g. a mesh/grill. But it does have 3.5/4" speakers either side at the front, one near to the ignition and one next to the glove box. This is why I'm having trouble choosing what to do :(

I'm free tomorrow so I was going to take my door card off to see if there is a speaker there but I don't really want to do it if it definitely doesn't have a speaker in the door?

Ah sorry didn't realise you were asking about a Mk1. The sizes I said were for a Mk2. Don't know if Mk1's have tweeters in the dash either?

MK1's didnt have speakers in the doors only in the dash.trying to think do did they have tweeters.mmm

iirc only valvers nd willams came with them in the doors.
you can add them in do.just cut out a hole in the door cart

Mk1 Ph3
MK1's didnt have speakers in the doors only in the dash.trying to think do did they have tweeters.mmm

iirc only valvers nd willams came with them in the doors.
you can add them in do.just cut out a hole in the door cart

Really? I'm picking up some valver door cards soon, possibly for free :rasp: will they just be a straight fit?

None
I'm currently doing a custom boot floor in my 182, i also need the space in my boot so a sub box is out, basically i'll be raising the floor so that it's level with the boot slam panel then i can still put my seat backs forward without loss of room, it's a hell of a job but i think it will be worth the time spent, i have only put a 10" sub in mine but there is plenty of room for two 6x9's too if you want them :)

Mk1 Ph3
I'll take a picture of my boot and front speaker area tomorrow morning and will upload straight away so people can get a better picture of what it's like if they don't know already

Iceberg 172
Mate, it's your 1st car. You don't have a huge budget and you want bang for buck. Slap some 6x9's in the shelf with some better co-axial (tweeter and woofer in one speaker) in the dash.

Stick a vibe 10" active sub in the boot which is easily removable if need be with the right connectors if you need extra space.

That'll sound fine. Nice and loud.

Worry about sound quality when you've got a bit more cash behind you as it gets expensive!

I've heard plenty of systems using 6x9's that have sounded great. I've heard plenty of sets of cheap components not powered properly sounding s**t.

Iceberg 172
That wasn't meant to sound patronising by the way!

Just trying to give my honest view on what's your best route.

With the setup I've suggested you can easily upgrade at a later date by adding an amp to the dash speakers and 6x9's.

Mk1 Ph3
the door cards are a staight fit.
but the door carts trim will be different to the rest of the car no??

I'm hopefully getting some valver seats too :)

Mate, it's your 1st car. You don't have a huge budget and you want bang for buck. Slap some 6x9's in the shelf with some better co-axial (tweeter and woofer in one speaker) in the dash.

Stick a vibe 10" active sub in the boot which is easily removable if need be with the right connectors if you need extra space.

That'll sound fine. Nice and loud.

Worry about sound quality when you've got a bit more cash behind you as it gets expensive!

I've heard plenty of systems using 6x9's that have sounded great. I've heard plenty of sets of cheap components not powered properly sounding s**t.

Yeah but 6x9s are hassle to detach when I'm putting my equipment in it etc. and so I need something which is easily removable.

Iceberg 172
They aren't with the right connectors mate. You can fit a plug which disconnects with 1 tug and you parcel shelf will come out as normal. I'm on my iPhone ATM but I'll post some pics and links tomorrow of what you'll need.

I've run 6x9's (a long time ago) but with infiniti speakers up front and a cheap s**t clarion sub in the boot of a 106... Sounded good considering what it cost. In such a small shitty French tin can which rattles to f**k there really is no point in buying silly expensive equipment unless you're going all out with sound deadening etc.

Mk1 Ph3
They aren't with the right connectors mate. You can fit a plug which disconnects with 1 tug and you parcel shelf will come out as normal. I'm on my iPhone ATM but I'll post some pics and links tomorrow of what you'll need.

I've run 6x9's (a long time ago) but with infiniti speakers up front and a cheap s**t clarion sub in the boot of a 106... Sounded good considering what it cost. In such a small s**tty French tin can which rattles to f**k there really is no point in buying silly expensive equipment unless you're going all out with sound deadening etc.

But then again won't the wires be weak after disconnecting many times? And if I'm getting cheap if not free door cards, I could fit speakers there instead of the 6x9s?

Iceberg 172
No the wires would be fine.

You could do but 6x9's are cheap and loud. For the money you can't beat them. If you want to spend £300 I'd suggest a 2 channel amp powering a decent set of components in the front and stick a sub in the boot. £100 on speakers, £100 on an amp and I think the active vibe stuff is around £100 - £150.

But for under £100 some door/dash speakers and some 6x9's will be money well spent IMO depending on how long you intend to keep it like that.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
For a 1st car, a set of door speakers (As big as you can fit) and a set of 6x9's will be more than fine.

Set the fader slightly to the rear, turn up the bass and enjoy.

Pointless spending a shitload imo.

Mk1 Ph3
I'm wanting a sub too though, it's just finding the right one! I know you can pick up a Fusion sub and amp for around £40/£50 on eBay so I'll have another look.

None
This is what you might need :)
41bINBVzNDL_SL500_AA300_.gif

Mk1 Ph3
What head unit do you have?

What is your budget?

Head unit: http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/audio-t18200-player-p-8590.html

Budget for all speakers etc. is around £140/£150 but preferably less

dont think theres a point in 6x9 if he is doing up the front speakers and having a sub.just my opinion.

milo did you get the rev clock going??

also as for the radio.do you use cd's or ipod?

Nope, didn't get the rev clock going in the end just didn't know where the wire from the coilpack was. Didn't understand what the guy was trying to get at in the valver thread.

I use iPod and USB now, don't really use CDs much!

Iceberg 172
Trust me mate please... You can get a very similar product for speaker cables!

With your budget I'd be going for some front components and some 6x9's but do what you feel is the right thing!

At the end of the day, its whatever your happy with no matter what other people may say, price wise and sound wise :)

The joys are once you've got a basic install, it becomes much easier to upgrade when funds allow.