ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ideas for opening a Clio 172 - flat battery, door locks not working..

Clio 172
I would like to take the blame that this is totally my fault not the car! .. which is a rare occasion!
Didn’t drove the thing for few months, which stays clean and covered in the garage to find out today that the battery went flat. Unfortunately both door locks are not working with both keys, I guess from never been used.. Generous amount of WD40 didn’t helped much. Basically I can’t unlock the car to pop-up the hood and give it some juice. I’m the stupid one who didn’t connect it to the trickle charger earlier… or leave the bonnet opened… or leave the car unlocked…

I was reading topics about a lot of snapped bonnet latches / wires and removing the bumper seemed like a solution, but two of the bumper screws are under the bonnet..
Getting a pump to open the door frame and using a hook to open the bonnet from inside also seems like a long shot..

Any ideas how to break into my own car?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Starter is a good shout. You can get to the bonnet cable by smashing the grille but a new passenger window is significantly cheaper and easier if that’s the route you want to take.

Id try the charger on the starter, if that doesn’t work pop the passenger window. It makes a mess but they are easy enough to change

Clio 172
My mechanic also confirmed the starter option. The problem is that the car can’t be lifted the way its parked and need to roll it out meaning somehow need to take it out of gear, meaning entering …
What do you think of a locksmith? If the car is locked (with 0 power for the central locking) is the door handle of the driver’s door wired to the lock? On my both BMWs works even with the battery out you can mechanically open the door from inside?!

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
My mechanic also confirmed the starter option. The problem is that the car can’t be lifted the way its parked and need to roll it out meaning somehow need to take it out of gear, meaning entering …
What do you think of a locksmith? If the car is locked (with 0 power for the central locking) is the door handle of the driver’s door wired to the lock? On my both BMWs works even with the battery out you can mechanically open the door from inside?!
You should be able to get it into neutral from underneath the car, the gear linkage is underneath the car. Should be easy enough to remove the under tray if still fitted..

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Jack the car up and stick it on wheel dollies? If its only got the handbrake on you should only need two for the rears

Screenshot 2021-12-22 at 14.08.18.png

HK52 VLW 172 Cup
I had the same thing. Get some cheap household door wedges from the pound shop and a wire coat hanger.
From the top corner of the door where it joins B pillar put a wedge in, then another about half way and then another just above the interior door handle. The idea is to make just enough room to poke the wire through. Make a hook and then try to get it around the interior door handle. It took me about 30 mins of trying.

The easiest way of getting to an electrical cable to charge is by removing the side indicator or rear number plate light and cutting in that way. Save working from underneath.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
As above, come across it a lot, you can bend the top of the door out enough to get access to the Interior door handle or bonnet release. It bends back fine too.

2012 clio 1.2 tce
can you get into a position where you can actually see the terminal on the starter even though you can’t reach it?

Clio 172
Thank you for all tips. The good news is that I don’t drive the car regularly and the matter is not that time sensitive, which is the reason for this all. The bad is that it’s 300 km away from my main house in a garage. Looks like the starter is hard to reach under the exhaust manifold.. I think I will go with the B pillar opening and reaching the door handle. Can someone confirm that if there is absolute 0 juice in the battery the driver’s door handle still can open a locked door from inside? Meaning its hard wired and overrides the central locking?

HK52 VLW 172 Cup
Yes the wedge method will work on the inside door handle with a completely flat battery. The mechanism is mechanical and not electrical.

You can also pull out the side repeater/indicator and cut the wires, strip the ends and charge the battery with a trickle charger. Same with the rear number plate light.

But the wedge method is the way to go. You only need to create a gap big enough to get a wire coat hanger through, so don't go mad with the wedges.

Clio 172
I'm glad to report that with your! support - the issue is solved. Thank you!

Four points learnt here:
1. Use your bloody trickle charger on time!
2. Check if your dynamo is charging properly. ( I do suspect mine isn't, but will measure it tomorrow)
3. No point of breaking the front emblem - it doesn't cover anything than the radiator and a new one is needed afterwards.
4. Pull a bit stronger the door handle in it's final phase to open the door. I was a bit afraid it might brake and it's not hard wired for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_4199.jpg
    IMG_4199.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4200.jpg
    IMG_4200.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4201.jpg
    IMG_4201.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4202.jpg
    IMG_4202.jpg