ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Idle at 3k RPM? ICV?

1.2 8v MK2 clio
Hello, my first post on here as I require some assistance and I know this is the best place to go :)

1.2 D7F MK2 Clio (8v) - 93K miles

The battery drained completely flat (thats another problem that happens ever so often) over a few days, after jump starting the car earlier it now idles at just under 3000rpm, which it has never done before!
Im thinking initially that the ECU has been reset due to the battery draining and causing problems, but after a quick google it seems that the idle control valve is causing these problems by sticking. The solution is to remove it, spray carb cleaner all over it and refit with a new o-ring.

Does anyone know what an ICV should look like?

In my haynes manual it points to an "idle speed control valve", which I presumed was an idle control valve, but upon removal it appears to be a stepper motor which controls the air inlet valve for the engine?

I have no experience in this area of an engine before, so any pointers are appreciated and please forgive for any stupidity in this post :rasp:

Diffey

1.2 8v MK2 clio
Well, just incase anyone comes across this thread in the future, the Haynes manual was in fact, wrong!

The labeling that it provides labels the idle control valve as something else. However the idle control valve is the bit ontop of the air inlet system with writing on it, it requires a T20 screw driver and has two screws holding it.

Spraying the ICV with carb cleaner did not work, it only worked when i sprayed alot of carb cleaner inside the housing for the ICV, I used the original o-ring as renault would not sell me it and they dont stock it in halfords or a small independant motorfactors. The original o-ring was still perfectly perfect :rasp:

All runs ok now, just hope it stays like that!