ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

If you had to change your cambelt, would you get anything else done?

When I first bought my 182 I had the cambelt replaced by Renault, roughly 18 months ago. I like to think I know a fair bit about cars, but I had never heard of a dephaser...

The old girl has started to sound tappety and I have almost resigned myself to the fate that will have to stump up for another cam belt change.

Cambelt kit, auxiliary bet kit and dephaser apart, would you change anything else whilst its in bits?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Never changed my dephaser and its fine.172/182 engines do get slighlty noisier with age . If fsh and regular correct oil changes it should be fine.
Lol at the DEPHASER PANIC that has spread on cliosport, everyone who has any sort of noise thinks there dephaser is about to pack up and take there engine with it !
Plenty of other things it could be .

182 FF, A6 Avant
Having just had my cam belt done after my water pump, I'd get the pump changed at the same time. Do the dephaser too if you intend on keeping it for any length of time. At £140 for the dephaser, it's prob worth doing for no real labour cost.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've always been under the impression waterpump is waste of money, as very very rarely fail.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I've always been under the impression waterpump is waste of money, as very very rarely fail.

I listened to the same crap on here.

3 months later my waterpump started leaking and seeing as the crank pulley had to come off to do it, half the effort that goes in to the cambelt was put into doing just the waterpump all over again.

The pump costs peanuts and is definitely worth doing IMO.

Lionel Richie
I listened to the same crap on here.

3 months later my waterpump started leaking and seeing as the crank pulley had to come off to do it, half the effort that goes in to the cambelt was put into doing just the waterpump all over again.

The pump costs peanuts and is definitely worth doing IMO.

erm the crank pulley isn't touched when doing a water pump mike!

Monaco 172
The main reason for changing the water pump with the belts is your going from and old loose belt to a newer possibly a little bit tighter belt which can cause the pump to fail IMO when you have access to it all and for a £30 part it might as well be done because if you don't and it does fail its all the same work over again to change it and most garages will fit a new belt again if this is is the case.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I had the water pump done at the same time as the belts like, we supplied all the parts for the job so included water pump also. Better to be safe than sorry.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Water pump is very rarely an issue. Done a few recently, but they've mostly been noisy as they're non genuine replacements that have been needlessly changed in the first place

Dephaser, I would say 1 in 5 needs doing. If you're around 100k then it makes sense to do it. On a 60k car with no noises and well maintanied through it's life, it's throwing money away

225 Cup & Williams
I changed the full lot, all the belts, pulleys, tensioners, dephaser and waterpump. Makes sense to change it while everything else is being done especially on an older high mileage engine like my ph1 is.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
The engine in my 172 has a dephaser from a needless change fitted to it. Owner insisted despite it being silent and faultless. But then in this case it's free to change it if it ever gets noisy, so no risk

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If mine was due I'd do the belts and depahser, plus the water pump as my last one failed. I'd also be eyeing up some cams too.