ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Im a massive t**t. Urgent help needed please!!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Basically im at my dads which is very far from home for me and I need to get home tonight, and I know eurocarparts and other shops close in a short while!

We thought we'd be clever and try draining the engine oil, well we went under the car and undid the "sump plug" which was the one through the little hole in the sump guard. "Simple, it must be the one as its obvious and you must need easy access as you change the oil so much...", or not. I think we've drained the gearbox oil as the sump plug and sump is under the guard as i've now realised. So, we've changed the oil fillter and added 3.8 litres of oil, meaning the car has 7 litres in it, and we have drained the gearbox.

Yes, we're total c***s and I realise that now, but what can I do to mend the car?! Any help is amazing, I have exams Monday and it really needs to be fixed!! :(

Thanks

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Re: Im a massive tw*t. Urgent help needed please!!

Find some way of getting home or stop there the night and sort the car tomorrow by draining the oil out and starting again.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
LMFAO!!!! That is pure gold.

Thankyou.

You need to go buy some gearbox oil and fill it back up and the drain 3 litres of engine oil from the sump.

(obviously dont start the engine)

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I started the engine once for about 20 seconds with the gearbox oil totally drained, no weird noises or anything just said to on the oil filter when you check for leaks, yeah hopefully you guys are laughing then at least somethings come from this! Not going to run it again, but now taken off the guard and the engine oils draining. Got the oil to fill it back up again too now, so can anyone link me to the right gearbox oil from eurocarparts or halfords and maybe tell me how to fill it back up? How much do I need?

Its a 1.2 mk3 from 2006 with a 5 speed manual

RenaultSport 172
You insert a tube into the gearbox and use a funnel. There is a guide on here somewhere. You need to undo a little wing nut type of thing in the engine bay

Looking from inside the engine bay down towards the gearbox, facing towards the front of the car is a black plastic "butterfly screw", you undo that, obviously make sure the gearbox sump nut underneath is done up tight first (before filling). Insert a long piece of garden hose, you might need to splice and fold the hose in on itself if its too big to fit in. Then use a funnel onto the hose and fill the gearbox up, the only indicator the box is full is when it starts pissing out of the filling hole.

So make sure its on level ground, and just fill it up till it starts coming out then simply screw the cover back in.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch

Looking from inside the engine bay down towards the gearbox, facing towards the front of the car is a black plastic "butterfly screw", you undo that, obviously make sure the gearbox sump nut underneath is done up tight first (before filling). Insert a long piece of garden hose, you might need to splice and fold the hose in on itself if its too big to fit in. Then use a funnel onto the hose and fill the gearbox up, the only indicator the box is full is when it starts pissing out of the filling hole.

So make sure its on level ground, and just fill it up till it starts coming out then simply screw the cover back in.

Tried using a hose it just took literally hours and didn't really go into the hole? Isn't there just an easy quick way to fill it back up again? Giving up for now and getting a lift home but seriously annoyed at myself :/ Can't seem to get the oil into the hole? Using a hose and funnel takes literally hours...

Hours? You just need to put a 2 inch slit in the hose then fold it in on itself so its small enough to go in the fill hole. I used a cable tie to keep the hose shape smaller.

Should literally be a case of unscrew the cap, put the hose in and start filling.

DSC_0570_zpscbce7495.jpg

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Hours? You just need to put a 2 inch slit in the hose then fold it in on itself so its small enough to go in the fill hole. I used a cable tie to keep the hose shape smaller.

Should literally be a case of unscrew the cap, put the hose in and start filling.

DSC_0570_zpscbce7495.jpg

Ah I was using a smaller bit of hose than that! Some from the fish tank, didn't think of putting the cut in the end of the hose. Thanks for that! Ill have to come back and have another go in the morning now really, just out of interest how often is a gearbox change even meant to be done?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm very confused.

There's a filler on the box, it's a hand screw, you can't miss it. A hose in that hole and a funnel on the hose should fill it properly. If no oil is going in, remove the hose and stick your little finger in bending it "down". If you hit oil, it's not empty and you've done gone know what.

Where's the car stranded?

As for the above, every 5 years or so for GB oil.

Nah fish tank hose is way too small ! I understand what you mean about hours now!

Not very often as stated, think the first interval for a change is 75k miles, but as with anything it doesnt hurt to change it.

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
And a hole in the bottom of the bottle if you're using the whole bottle of it

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm very confused.

There's a filler on the box, it's a hand screw, you can't miss it. A hose in that hole and a funnel on the hose should fill it properly. If no oil is going in, remove the hose and stick your little finger in bending it "down". If you hit oil, it's not empty and you've done gone know what.

Where's the car stranded?

As for the above, every 5 years or so for GB oil.

What kind of idiot drains the gearbox anyway.....

182 ff
LMFAO!!!! That is pure gold.

Thankyou.

You need to go buy some gearbox oil and fill it back up and the drain 3 litres of engine oil from the sump.

(obviously dont start the engine)
wont he have to drain all the engine oil? as its mixed with the dirty oil...

182 ff
Basically im at my dads which is very far from home for me and I need to get home tonight, and I know eurocarparts and other shops close in a short while!

We thought we'd be clever and try draining the engine oil, well we went under the car and undid the "sump plug" which was the one through the little hole in the sump guard. "Simple, it must be the one as its obvious and you must need easy access as you change the oil so much...", or not. I think we've drained the gearbox oil as the sump plug and sump is under the guard as i've now realised. So, we've changed the oil fillter and added 3.8 litres of oil, meaning the car has 7 litres in it, and we have drained the gearbox.

Yes, we're total c**ks and I realise that now, but what can I do to mend the car?! Any help is amazing, I have exams Monday and it really needs to be fixed!! :(

Thanks

hope your exam is not on motor mechanics ..ha

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
What kind of idiot drains the gearbox anyway.....

Someone who's never ever been underneath a car before who gets told to undo a 8mm square sump plug, and then under the car sees the most obvious 8mm square sump plug ever in a specially cut out hole? Is it not also a question of "What kind of idiot puts a gearbox drain plug in a special hole and covers one you use easily five times more often?"

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
wont he have to drain all the engine oil? as its mixed with the dirty oil...

Drained all the engine oil, got 4 litres of fresh oil and filled up 3.5 litres, its now on the min line, going to leave it to settle overnight, run the engine for a few min (after gearbox oil) and then add a bit until it gets closer to the max line.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
its a mistake.. am sure he has learnt never to do it again.... I would of said my dads don't it .. ha ..
my under tray only has one hole in... is a 1.2 different?

Thanks :) Don't feel too stupid right now but I did feel a right fool when I did it! Live and learn I guess, if anything i've kind of had fun sorting it out. At least now I know where the sump is and all about that, I also have more experience using my axle stands and trolley jack, I know how to do a gearbox oil change, and also know what not to do next time! Also learnt the guards a right pita to take off! Didn't wanna say my dad did it, hes been great all day lent me the money for the oil which I didn't have my card on me, and has been very helpful (apart from when he called me a rude word! :()

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Drained all the engine oil, got 4 litres of fresh oil and filled up 3.5 litres, its now on the min line, going to leave it to settle overnight, run the engine for a few min (after gearbox oil) and then add a bit until it gets closer to the max line.
No no no no no! Fill it to max, then start the engine, then recheck.

182 ff
Thanks :) Don't feel too stupid right now but I did feel a right fool when I did it! Live and learn I guess, if anything i've kind of had fun sorting it out. At least now I know where the sump is and all about that, I also have more experience using my axle stands and trolley jack, I know how to do a gearbox oil change, and also know what not to do next time! Also learnt the guards a right pita to take off!

someone on here put water in the power steering bottle... your mistake wasn't that bad,,, add be crying if I did that....
least you have new gear oil in.. change your air filter too... it be all done then.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
No no no no no! Fill it to max, then start the engine, then recheck.

I started the car with the old/oil mix quickly for a few seconds before I thought oh! So it should have filled the filter with old and new oil? Its a brand new filter so not planning on changing it or is it really worth it for about a seconds worth of oil filtered through it?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
someone on here put water in the power steering bottle... your mistake wasn't that bad,,, add be crying if I did that....
least you have new gear oil in.. change your air filter too... it be all done then.

That was the last thing, got the car recently so just had to do the oil change. I've done the air filter, spark plugs, cabin filter :)

clio 172

At leasy you have owned up lol but I think if I dropped the gearbox oil id instantly notice it wasn't black with carbon

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I started the car with the old/oil mix quickly for a few seconds before I thought oh! So it should have filled the filter with old and new oil? Its a brand new filter so not planning on changing it or is it really worth it for about a seconds worth of oil filtered through it?

Just fill it to max before starting it. The oil in the filter would be the same as if you were checking it as a routine check anyway.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch

At leasy you have owned up lol but I think if I dropped the gearbox oil id instantly notice it wasn't black with carbon

"That's very golden? I thought it hadn't had an oil change in over a year?" was the first thing said ;) by both of us! then "Jesus that smells like a stink bomb"

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Just fill it to max before starting it. The oil in the filter would be the same as if you were checking it as a routine check anyway.

Oh so I can just drain the oil, fill up with new oil and leave the filter? It's new really anyway just had old oil through it for 10 seconds...

182 ff

"That's very golden? I thought it hadn't had an oil change in over a year?" was the first thing said ;) by both of us! then "Jesus that smells like a stink bomb"

not sure if I would change the gear oil.. is a sealed unit..i had a vw beetle once ,, had the same oil in for 30 years was fine(I didn't own it for 30 years).. Renault told me don't bother changing it,,,
I know some on here will disagree .... have to tell us does the gear change feel better..