ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Im a massive t**t. Urgent help needed please!!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Re: Im a massive tw*t. Urgent help needed please!!

not sure if I would change the gear oil.. is a sealed unit..i had a vw beetle once ,, had the same oil in for 30 years was fine.. Renault told me don't bother changing it,,,
I know some on here will disagree .... have to tell us does the gear change feel better..

I wouldn't have bothered personally until it was in a huge tub under the car mixed with some old engine oil and water left from washing the tub up!

Guess ill be able to tell soon if it feels any better/nicer changes!

182 ff

I wouldn't have bothered personally until it was in a huge tub under the car mixed with some old engine oil and water left from washing the tub up!

Guess ill be able to tell soon if it feels any better/nicer changes!

if it does getting mine changed,,ha... just had millers cfs oil put in... car is a lot quieter...had elf evo in before that.. on sale on here(traders).. thought I would try it... its race oil..

1.6 Astra Sporthatch

if it does getting mine changed,,ha... just had millers cfs oil put in... car is a lot quieter...had elf evo in before that.. on sale on here(traders).. thought I would try it... its race oil..

I've got castrol in it now, bought halfords engine oil but after using it all in the car and then mixing it in with the old stuff, had to buy some more haha! Used castrol gearbox oil too, this to be precise

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_222101_langId_-1_categoryId_255220

Last edited:
  1.6 Astra Sporthatch
How'd you get rid of gear box oil smell? Had a shower and I swear its still all I can smell... Maybe it's just the stench of shame!

182cup & 172 racecar
Nothing to be ashamed of mate, I've done it on the race car, when I tried to do an oil change in a hurry on the trailer.

I'm sure more have done it on here as well.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Nothing to be ashamed of mate, I've done it on the race car, when I tried to do an oil change in a hurry on the trailer.

I'm sure more have done it on here as well.

I guess, lesson learned I suppose! Hopefully it won't take too long with the hose tomorrow and I can get it sorted ASAP, meant to rain all morning :( Is leaving the bonnet up in the pouring rain likely to be a problem? I assume it would be as its obviously covered for a reason?

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
How'd you get rid of gear box oil smell? Had a shower and I swear its still all I can smell... Maybe it's just the stench of shame!

You can't!! The trick is to not get any on you at all while you're draining it, using gloves makes a big difference!!
I find that it doesn't matter if I cover myself in the stuff, or get a flee sized drop on my, I can smell it for days after regardless of how many showers or baths I have.
My Mrs does love me so much when I get it on my clothes!!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Done the engine oil now and it was between the min to max line last time I checked and I added about 300ml so hopefully should be on the max, filled the gearbox oil with the castrol stuff until it was coming out the hole and did the nut back up. klm182 no difference to the gearbox from the oil change for me, still feels quite notchy going down into first and second from third or fourth, not too sure what that could be really but its not that bad so I can live with it! Just a bit notchy/hard to get into gear once a week or so... Not noticed it happening at any specific times really. Pretty happy and relaxed now I've put the gearbox oil back again! Just going to drive the car for now and leave doing things to the car for a while! At least I know how to do it better in a few thousand miles time! Thanks for everyone's help!

182 ff
glad its all done... I wont change gear oil now.. I just have to get a ITG filter mines all done(touch wood).see if it any different than the standard panel one .

182cup & 172 racecar
But this is CS so no-one would of done that.... Or at least admit it ;)

We are all human, I was well pissed off when I did it, as I didn't have any gearbox oil in the workshop. So what started as a quick oil change, turned into a right faf, and took twice as long.

I'll admit it, I don't give a sh1t.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I take it the gearbox oil was the right oil? Its a 1.2 mk3 I used castrol 75w90 as its what halfords and castrol both said online, just first and second feel a bit stiff today?

182 ff

I take it the gearbox oil was the right oil? Its a 1.2 mk3 I used castrol 75w90 as its what halfords and castrol both said online, just first and second feel a bit stiff today?

put a few table spoons of castor oil in...(joke).. says in the manual use elf tranself tjr 75w-80.
if I was you, I would buy the Haynes manual from Halfords... don't no why they didn't do a 172/182 one.. ..
for get the above , I thought you had a mark 2..

1.6 Astra Sporthatch

put a few table spoons of castor oil in...(joke).. says in the manual use elf tranself tjr 75w-80.
if I was you, I would buy the Haynes manual from Halfords... don't no why they didn't do a 172/182 one.. ..
for get the above , I thought you had a mark 2..

Got a mk3, it said on Halfords website and castrols oil finder use 75w90 so I did? Matt@codered says it might be a bit thick but hes finding out for me

182 ff

Got a mk3, it said on Halfords website and castrols oil finder use 75w90 so I did? Matt@codered says it might be a bit thick but hes finding out for me

just call Renault they will tell you.. they made the car...sure there is a dealership near you...
or pop in.. ask for a price on every fluid the car uses.. so in the future you will know what you need...

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

not sure if I would change the gear oil.. is a sealed unit..i had a vw beetle once ,, had the same oil in for 30 years was fine(I didn't own it for 30 years).. Renault told me don't bother changing it,,,
I know some on here will disagree .... have to tell us does the gear change feel better..

Yep. ;)

Changed the 182's gearbox oil now four times in its 125k life. Let's face it, its a box containing shafts, gears and plenty of movement. Eventually fine parts of coatings, edgings and teeth will start to float about - increasing the wear on the other components.

It's less than £40 iirc to swap out and I have it done every couple of years - just for peace of mind more than anything. The biggest benefit I've seen to date in changing the gearbox oil was on the very first drop and change @ 24k. I'd got used to the 182's gearchange being a bit sludgey and indirect, from new. When the oil was changed, the entire 'box felt a lot more smooth and direct on the change. I've been a convert since then. :)

D.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
As above. I've changed box oil on some cars that are getting on for 100k with no changes, the colour that it comes out complete with silver streaks isn't good at all. For the time and money it costs to change it then its a no brainer really.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Right gearbox feels notchy slightly, has done slightly since I got the car ages ago but its gotten worse since this new oil was put in, could it be the oils too thick? Basically if I slow down for a junction and go to put it into second it seems fairly hard to put into second you have to push it in quite hard. Same when you slow and go into first at a roundabout for example. When it was the old oil it happened literally once a week maybe once a month if I was lucky, and it wasn't quite as hard to put into the gear. Now with the new oil, it seems harder to get into gear and happens alot more often. Could this be the oil being too thick? Annoying me now! bennettxo had what sounds like a similar issue and a box oil change solved it? So where should I go from here? Get the OEM oil and change the box oil again? Talked to Matt@codered who is an awesome guy and a great help! Will ask him where to go from here too :)

182 ff
I would change the oil to what Renault recommend , the oil you put in maybe a different viscosity ,and with it being cold,maybe causing the problem... also you don't know what grade of oil was in the car before... change it and see how it goes over a few weeks..

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I would change the oil to what Renault recommend , the oil you put in maybe a different viscosity ,and with it being cold,maybe causing the problem... also you don't know what grade of oil was in the car before... change it and see how it goes over a few weeks..

Might try that :) Ill talk to Matt first as he knows his stuff (Don't want to keep asking and being cheeky though!) Then order some oil from Renault Wolverhampton who offered me a good price :) Don't fancy doing an oil change again but suppose needs must! Does all gearbox oil absolutely reek?

Ethan

182 ff
I don't know what it smells like, .. its only fluid on my car not been changed ,coolant/engine oil was changed last week,
last year the brake and power steering was done..i might bite the bullet and buy a flexible funnel ,order some oil.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Garden hose fits in perfectly for me, that and a funnel and its fairly easy if you can get the under guard off

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Do not drive it with excessive oil in, it causes unbelievable problems.

Huh? Oil was drained and refilled correctly earlier ;)

Update for everyone, bought some of the oil Renault Wolverhampton told me is recommended to be in the box :) Bought 5L as it was only £6 more expensive than 3, cheaper than 4, and I heard the box takes around 3.1L? Either way i'll just fill it until it starts coming out. When it starts coming out the hole, do I just put the nut in and that's job done, or do I wait for any excess to pour out until its dead level and stopped dripping 100%, then put the nut in? Also someone told me you have to leave the box for 15 minutes for the oil to drain through slightly to the bottom and settle, then put more in?

Oil renault recommend: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008DT8RMI/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Make sure the car is level, fill up till it starts dribbling out, put the nut back, done.

3.1L from bone dry so yours will probably only take just under 3L.

Clio Initiale 2005
Please let us know how your gearbox feels after :). I have to almost be stationary before I can get into first gear so might think of gb oil change.