ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I'm never going to buy another Renault.

Mondeo STTDCI
No matter how much I like the look of the new Clio, or how the new RS Clio will look. No matter how faster it is, how the build quality is better, how it handles better, nor how much kit there is included.

This is because I KNOW, that the following will happen:

- Renault will release a limited edition model, devaluing mine
- Renault will also probably release several further variations, devaluing mine, confusing the second hand car market buyer and just generally annoying me
- It will go back to the dealers constantly for a minor fault that they cant fix because they are idiots
- I will be asked to pay extortionate service costs
- The interior WILL rattle
- The dealers WILL lie to me on at least one other occassion than when selling me the car (this lie could be "oh we have that part in stock", or telling me that they cant fit me in for another 3 weeks to fix the above mentioned minor fault. Try this, phone up for warranty, then 10 mins later phone up for something like discs and pads fitting. Its amazing how soon they can get you in.
- No matter how fun to drive it is, it just won't be worth it

So eventually, sadly, I will say goodbye to Renault. But not just yet :)

tiTTy & SV650
well I'll never buy another French car but I knew what I was doing when I bought it so I'm not gonna moan about it :D

BMW M3
Yeah... sorry to say but this might be my last french car. Unless the MK3 RS turns out to be brilliant and rattle free like some of its Japanese and German friends.

I can't see how most people on here seem to have all of these problems with their 172/182s etc.

My dads had his 172 for over two years now & its been fine (its a 52 reg which he got when it wasn't that old) he has never had a problem with it & the local dealer is actually ok (this is Renault Romford)

I do agree about the massive loss in price though, my dad paid almost 12k for his car & now its prob only worth 7k (ish)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Cracking car but dealers are Ars*h**es!!
I'd love to buy a fast ford next.

MINI JCW
If you dont want the new clio then dont buy one it really is that simple, and no one can be that suprsied who bought a 182 about Renault relasing a cup version even though they said they wouldnt

As for service costs dont get it serviced at Renault, you dont lose your warranty if you get it serviced elsewhere (as long as proper Renault parts are used) and the money you lose when you sell it becuase it doesnt have FRSH will be offset by the money you save in servicing. (My brother spent a fortune on his BMW keeping its full service history and when he sold it he got book price)

I agree the build must improve though, I havent had any contact with the dealer except when I bought it and the service was pretty good, although the norm seems to be poor service

Abarth 500
its not the car, its the fukin dip sh*t dealers!! i could deal with problems and rattles if the dealers had half a fukin clue but they dont they are sh*t thick and all need shooting!!!!!...............and are fuking rude!

Nissan 350Z
rory182 said:
well I'll never buy another French car but I knew what I was doing when I bought it so I'm not gonna moan about it :D

Ditto.

I never bought this expecting it have the build quality either of my old Skoda or Golf. Its actually a bit better than I expected so far, but with only 8000 miles on it, we'll see. Its such a nice car to drive though, which IS the reason I got it.

no car yet
iam a new member i am worried about these things but i can help spendding £7500 on a clio sport 172 shouild i do it

pbirkett said:
Ditto.

I never bought this expecting it have the build quality either of my old Skoda or Golf. Its actually a bit better than I expected so far, but with only 8000 miles on it, we'll see. Its such a nice car to drive though, which IS the reason I got it.

i knew what french build quality was like but didnt realise how easy the 182's are to break

engine mounts
alarm faults
knocking/tapping noise developed
brakes gone shite

etc etc

im gonna try selling it towards the end of the year.

Who buys a Clio and expects great service/great rattle free interior and all the rest though? Plenty of evidence here and everywhere else so there is no excuse if buying one and then realising the rubbish aspects to it.

I sure as hell didn't. I bought my 1.2 Dynamique because it was cheap to insure and was a bloody fantastic drive for such a small-engined car. That then got me into the Cup which I got, again I expected rattles/crap service and all the rest, but I also knew how great it was to drive.

I would be the first to admit that my seats are crap, that I have about 7 different dash rattles and that I don't like the dealers much, but I'm not hugely bothered. I could take it in to get the rattles sorted, but I know it won't be fixed or will come back sooner or later, so I'm not bothering as its not worth the stress or hassle.

Any new car is going to depreciate considerably. Conisidering most people keep a car for two years why not go second-hand? I got my absolutely mint Cup from a dealer for £8400 with 8k on it, private plate and 2 years warranty left, in my book thats a huuuuuge bargain considering how much fun I'm having. A Renaultsport Clio doesn't really open up until at least 15k, yet many bought new seem to get sold before its barely got going, whats the point?!

hip_spasm said:
No matter how much I like the look of the new Clio, or how the new RS Clio will look. No matter how faster it is, how the build quality is better, how it handles better, nor how much kit there is included.

This is because I KNOW, that the following will happen:

- Renault will release a limited edition model, devaluing mine
- Renault will also probably release several further variations, devaluing mine, confusing the second hand car market buyer and just generally annoying me
- It will go back to the dealers constantly for a minor fault that they cant fix because they are idiots
- I will be asked to pay extortionate service costs
- The interior WILL rattle
- The dealers WILL lie to me on at least one other occassion than when selling me the car (this lie could be "oh we have that part in stock", or telling me that they cant fit me in for another 3 weeks to fix the above mentioned minor fault. Try this, phone up for warranty, then 10 mins later phone up for something like discs and pads fitting. Its amazing how soon they can get you in.
- No matter how fun to drive it is, it just won't be worth it

So eventually, sadly, I will say goodbye to Renault. But not just yet :)

You sure you don't own an Elise ;)
;) ;)

welsh172 said:
its not the car, its the fukin dip sh*t dealers!! i could deal with problems and rattles if the dealers had half a fukin clue but they dont they are sh*t thick and all need shooting!!!!!...............and are fuking rude!

Not Renault Swansea/Cardiff surely?? snigger

Ad

MK2 FRS
welsh172 said:

My thoughts entirely. They are throwing repeat buisness away, especially considering Renaultsport is there Premium Brand. I would happily have bought another if the Customer Service is was better. Its sad to admit that skodas are better built.

clio 182 black /gold
I had my brother in the car yesterday and he said the passenger window rattles and a little later he said oh it sounds like the mechinisam inside. He asked am i going to get renault to look at it when i take it in for the clunking steering. So i told him to hit the panel. has this worked? I asked, No, so i told him to hit it harder to no avail. I told him thats me and the dealer out of ideas, have you got any?. He could not belive renault dealers are like that and have no idea.

VX220, Mini, Primera
KarlosFandango said:
You sure you don't own an Elise ;)
;) ;)

I've had an Elise previously and currently own a VX220. I'm seriously considering swapping the VX for a 172 Cup because it's more useable, cheaper to buy and run, and if anything better built than the VX. To be honest, with any car that's very driver-focused you're going to end up compromising on "ease of ownership". The VX pisses me off on a regular basis (random warning lights, noises over bumps, leaky roof), but when it's good it's very VERY good.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
you lot are priceless!!

If you're all so intelligent about residual values, and are adamant the resale is so poor, why did you buy on in the first place?

Oh, right, you bought it because they're cheap to run, cheap to buy, servicing costs a few pence more than a 1.2, oh, and they're the cheapest way of going fast.

yes, a vw, bmw, ctr will hold its money better, but the things cost a fortune to run, cost a bomb to insure, oh, and have you ever tried buying parts for one??

If you hate renault so much, f**k off. all people on this site do is whinge and moan. Pop down to your local hospital and check out the childrens ward, your life's not that bad now is it??!!

FFS.

Atlantis Blue 1.2 Corsa B
^^^ how constructive is that?

not very, i suggest you pick up your coat and leave little man before i set my chihuahua on your ass.

The Tube
I don't think the problem solely lies with Renault, I think it's the UK attitude to customer care in general.
I've owned a few cars over the years and I can honestly say I've not been happy with any of the dealers.
I had rude service managers at Mercedes telling me parts have been fitted to my car when and charging me they clearly hadn't. Extortionate service costs from Honda on my wifes CR-V, and damaging the car in the process!
At the moment we have a fleet of VW Golf company cars, and have changed dealerships who service them 5 times now, because of poor work and cars breaking down (they gave one car back to us with no coolant in it).
So yes, Renault probably are crap when it comes to dealing with problems etc, but don't expect great things from other marques dealers!

Brisol my lover..
superfastdan said:
you lot are priceless!!

If you're all so intelligent about residual values, and are adamant the resale is so poor, why did you buy on in the first place?

Oh, right, you bought it because they're cheap to run, cheap to buy, servicing costs a few pence more than a 1.2, oh, and they're the cheapest way of going fast.

yes, a vw, bmw, ctr will hold its money better, but the things cost a fortune to run, cost a bomb to insure, oh, and have you ever tried buying parts for one??

If you hate renault so much, f**k off. all people on this site do is whinge and moan. Pop down to your local hospital and check out the childrens ward, your life's not that bad now is it??!!

FFS.
Too true.....Talk about moaners....

BMW M3
Lol

I love my 182 and most of its aspects, but no matter how much value for money we are getting, its no excuse for the dealers to be unhelpful, rude and lack any knowledge. I actually had an argument with one of the service staff that my car was a 182 and not a 172. But in their case "computer says no!!" - Idiots !!! Its not just us either, Renault are one of the worse dealership services around according to independent surveys.

I have often taken a VW and BMW to get serviced and was amazed by the difference in customer care. even for warrenty issues. I realise they are more prestige vehicles, but i feel customer service should not alter just because of the value of your car. You would get high quality BMW service for taking in a MINI one.

Really do love my car but seriously put off buying another one due to renault's inept customer care.

You are right though macca172; alot of it does have to do with the UK's attitude to service. Our's is crap compared to many of our European countries E.g. Germany.

106 GTi
Im not sure VW are much better, one of my neighbours and his son both have R32's which have niggles and the service the dealer gives them seems to be on par with what moans I red on here about Renault dealers, cars damaged when being serviced etc.

Clio IV 0,9 Tce
I am defenietly getting a Renault next time!! Probally a Williams or a 172/182, because here in Denmark all the boyracers buy either Saxos or 106/206's there are hardly any Clio's, also the minor faults is just a part of the charm of a French GTi!!

Red Clio 197 F1
Right, it's now my time to add my point of view!

You've all owned more than just a Renault surely??!!

Just think back to other cars you have owned.

I have owned: 2 Renaults, 2 Peugeots, 2 Alfas and 2 Fords. I have had problems with all of them and I always think my current car is the worst but they are all the same - mass produced and quality control is last thing on the producers mind!

Go on, leave Renault, buy an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lotus etc. They all have problems. Either buy yourself a bicycle or just get over it!

It is an arse and don't get me wrong but in the big scheme of things it really isn't an issue.

Don't fall into the trap of having to go to main dealers to be told a load of tosh, build a relationship with a local garage and start loving your little RS again.

Over and out!

JayJo

Anyone Buying a car with money issues as a driving force as to whether they are happy then i suggest you purchase a 3/4 year old diesel. They return excellent MPG and someone else will have taken the pain on depreciation. Come on kiddies if you were worried about losing money on a purchase maybe you would have been better putting the money into property and walking everywhere. Cars are moneypits at the end of the day and if you dont know that by now you're either nieve or stupid.

As for faults/reliability i've worked for two prestige car manufacturers now and sorry to burst the bubble of those thinking anything but Renault will be better but they suffer faults too. :eek: I know, hard to believe isnt it.

Clio 182
I have not had to take my 182 to a dealership yet so can not make a comment. Ive discussed these issues with owners of other makes and they have some horror stores to tell as well. The only difference is the BMW and Merc dealers give the same crap service with a smile and at greater cost. I agree with Macca172 it is not just car dealerships but right across the board.

Ad

MK2 FRS
superfastdan said:
you lot are priceless!!

FFS.

How is it that Toyota mange it then!!! I dont hate renault, I find it frustrating that a 172/182 could be an awesome motor alround. Value, yes they are. If you get a good one, you sorted, a bad one and then your in the s**t.

It will be easier for those who work for renault to get problems sorted...:rolleyes:

At the end of the day, the 182 I had was purchased for 14250 in feb, I bought i for 10800 (dealer) in September the previous owner has made a loss of 4k+ (trade in price) That is pretty shocking residuals, but granted I would never have bought one new.

There is a reason renault sales are in decline!!!!!

Last edited:
  Brisol my lover..
mattrt said:
^^^ how constructive is that?

not very, i suggest you pick up your coat and leave little man before i set my chihuahua on your ass.
Chihuahua?????? are you wearing leather chaps and a policemens helmet...

soon to be a 200
I changed my 172 for a leon and now back in a trophy because the leon rattles the service was s*ite and it had steering probs and no one wanted to know to the point i had to block the drive into the seat dealers .Wests of cambridge have been the best dealers i have come across .The clio the best car i have driven.

DC5
Yes, Renault's do depreciate quite a bit. I can't believe how little mine is worth, considering the price I bought it for just over a year ago. But cars do depreciate, and theres not a lot anyone can do about it. This is not the reason why I am not going to buy another Renault. It's the dealers. Not so much the sales guys, they tend to be quite helpful, if you get the right one. It is the shocking aftersales!

I have been back to several dealers, and in each case have walked away unhappy with the level of service from the service department, and the state my car has come back in. It is not just the aftersales at the dealers. Renault UK Customer Service aren't any better. My car has failed its MOT due to its rear brakes having 0% efficiency. This seems to be happening to a lot of 172 Cups due to the way they are set up. The dealer told me I needed a part that my car never had. Renault CS said take it to another dealer. They confirmed that I didn't need the load valve that the dealer said I did. They asked my to send them an email detailing all my questions and problems. 2 weeks later I have still not had a reply. I have got VOSA involved, and Renault CS said to put people in the back of the car when testing the rear brakes. I am going to get this done later today, but don't see how this will work, when they have already told me my car has not got a load valve.

It just seems that every time I speak to Renault aftersales, I get a different answer to the same question, and nobody has a clue what they are talking about. (Rant over)

Red Clio 197 F1
I second Loony and well put!!

You think Renault is bad, try an F.ing Alfa! But guess what, I'd buy another one tomorrow.

The reason the last Alfa went was because my own personal situation changed, so I changed my car to match my financial situation.

In fact the happiest / cheapest motoring I ever had was my lovely Mk1 Fiest 1.1 Ghia. When I ever I see one I still smile. It never went wrong because it had NO electronics running the car or keeping it on the road.

It's the weekend soon and enjoy the journey home!

Ad

MK2 FRS
BIG jts said:
admitts, what toyota exactly are you comparing to a 182??!

just the fact that toyota sell massive amounts of relativley cheap cars and have a reputation for highest customer service.

Granted the range is lacking more sportier options.

I have tried 5 renault dealers in my area and they go from s**t to v.s**t.