ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Immobiliser question wont start but cranks?

G Hut

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, V90 T8
Hi

After some ideas to help trouble shoot my Ph1 172, year 2000, intermittent staring issue, but never stops when running however, (I have skimmed the forum before asking here but cant find a definite answer to the red light meaning)

Scenario
  • When car locked both red lights flash, on dash and by gear stick

• Open car with fob, locks pop and red light near gear stick stops

• Red Dash light still flashing

• Key in and turn to position two, few seconds all dash lights go off including the red flashing one

• Car cranks fast but wont fire

• Eventually after many attempts and unlocking locking etc it will fire then start consistently

Only seems to start at random no pattern with lock / unlock etc it seems and red lights always behave the same going off,

Once it has started seems to be okay until left standing for a few weeks, has done this very infrequently for about 18 months but getting a lot worse now and every time I go to start it

It is not my daily drive so used infrequently, is on trickle charge and has a less than 6 month old new Bosch battery, both original keys behave the same with fresh batts fitted

Am I correct in thinking the immobiliser is deactivating as red dash light goes off and not the issue?

Any ideas on what to check / change?

Pics of lights I mention below, and assume one by gear stick is standard fit?

Inked20200104_160703_LI.jpg

20200104_160716.jpg

Any help appreciated

Thanks

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
My ph2 172 had a similar although not intermittent problem very similar this which turned out to be the earth on the back of the gearbox which I'd accidentally broken while removing the starter motor. Worth a look

G Hut

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, V90 T8
My ph2 172 had a similar although not intermittent problem very similar this which turned out to be the earth on the back of the gearbox which I'd accidentally broken while removing the starter motor. Worth a look

Thanks
Checked earth cables and also hooked up a jump from neg to gear box and same issue, no start

G Hut

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, V90 T8
After a little more digging and checking electrical items it turned out to be the Fuel Pump relay had corroded and failed.

I found this by swapping over relays 4 & 5 in the engine fuse box and it sprang into life and then failed to start when I swapped back

1 x new 7700414484 relay ordered from RPD

20200105_103655.jpg
20200105_103710.jpg

PH1 172 engine fuse box / relay layout

20200105_103655-0.jpg

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
My clio has a similar issue, espcially when not started for a few days. So thanks for the update. I'll have to have a look at the fuses.