ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Important 16v owners read !!!

In light of recent events (heatshield falling off causing manifold to melt the accelerator cable and bonnet release cable) I have decided not to pay renault for the preiveledge of supplying me with a cheap and nasty foil heatshield and am having a custom stainless/ally foam backed heatshield professionally made at work. Now it will cost a fair bit to have a tool made to get it bent to fit the engine on the cnc press break. So i am already prepared to be stung on the price, however once i have paid the initial cost you lot could have them for a very cheap cost. This i assure you is not a money making spin off im just trying to help out other 16v owners who might suffer a similar predicament trust me its not easy fitting a new accelerator cable and bonnet release cable. Renault heat shield costs about £40 i recon i can have S/S versions made for half the price (with foam insulation) and even perhaps have the cliosport logo laser cut or engraved in it. I think it will look a dam site better than the tatty foil sh*t that is supplied OEM.

Deffo interested m8! See if you can get the thread moved into the Exterior and power & mech section as it will gain more interest. Keep us updated.. im on my 2nd heat shield already

renault heat sheilds have a lining that stops any heat getting through to your brake lines behind. i dont think a stainless steel one with foam or rubber back will be anywhere near as "heat sheild" as a renault one.

unless u plan on something else?

You have little faith, it will be of sound insulation, Assuming you have enough reflection the heat will be deflected out through the vent. Stainless will stay shiny for longer which is why i suggest this. Aluminium although better heat disipation properties will oxidise and thus stop the reflection of the heat. So in short the shinier the surface the better the engine bay looks and the better the heat is reflected out through the vent. I am a designer with an architectural and engineering background so it should work. I will of course be the guinee pig and how i drive it should be worst case senario. Ill take sum pictures once fitted. At the end of the day anything is better than no heatshield and the Renault one is so flimsy if you drive the carhard like i do it tears and falls off after a few weeks, I see this as a permament replacement / solution

Titanium 182

my mate ran his valver for about 7 months with no head shield and abused it every where, never caused any problems then he sold it

when i had minei got f**king fed up of trying to fix the shield back on!

Yeah I havent had one for 9 months now...but I see it as Renault wouldnt of put there for no reason at all.

Want it before the summer, cos then ill probably start seeing problems...

Quote: Originally posted by Dean on 18 May 2004

my mate ran his valver for about 7 months with no head shield and abused it every where, never caused any problems then he sold it

when i had minei got f**king fed up of trying to fix the shield back on!
Abuse of a valver is relative, what you class as abuse i might class as everyday driving. Im talking about trackdays nurburgring etc.

Fact is in normal comuting with a little bit of enthusiastic driving for short periods you should be fine without the heatshield. However if your driving for 15minutes plus never taking the revs out of the sweet spot then when you come to a complete standstill there is no ventilation for the engine it will just melt all your cables. Its like you should drive around steady for at least 10 minutes after and serious track action to let your brakes cool down or they will seize to the disks.

The Jinx

They arent just foil backed though. If they are made like all the other heat shields that line the exhaust system then they will be made from tin.

Dont understand why people have trouble with them falling off, as mines rock solid.

Foil is tin hense "Tin foil", although i think the foil used is aluminium.

Regardless of renaults stuff the new model i am having made will be less heat conductive and more reflective, look better and cost less so why are we even having this discussion you either want one or yo dont!

Focus ST

I have gone without a heat shield since I bought my valver (over a year and a half) but I am definitely intereseted.

Yeah they dont last long, mine should be out of decent material and should see the car out to the great scrapyeard in the sky.

I wont take any money off you lot until mine has been on the car for a while and thorough testing has taken place, then i will post some pics and gauge the interest.

*Recap those interested:

phil6180
Rockport
Colin_S
Illusion
riplash
Lucas
DazOrz
Mark_Eas
James Clio 16v
TheBlueTurk
The_Raiderman

oh an me Scribbler

hmm this thread sounds familiar, I made one from aluminium plate, works cool, this sounds even better though, post a poic when done mate