ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

** IMPORTANT - cage info **

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Just something i thought i should point out to everyone now that a stripped out rear, fixed buckets & harnesses are slowly taking over from turinis as the CS mod of choice.

1. Have you ever seen what happens when a car rolls with fixed buckets, harnesses & no rollcage?

Lets just say you cant duck when the roof collapses on your head :dead:

If you have fixed buckets & a harness you need to think about this. You need a half cage to save your bonce being squashed if you crash.

2. In addition, to those of you running a full cage on the road.

Accident + no helmet + banging head on solid metal bar = not good.

Unless you are on track, with a helmet, think carefully before fitting that 10 point weld in to your shopping car.

Just some things to think about :) Might be worth stickying tbh.

Bus w**ker
What if I take my car on the track with OE seats, no cage and a bog standard seatbelt and I flip it? :S

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
What if I take my car on the track with OE seats, no cage and a bog standard seatbelt and I flip it? :S

With standard seats/belts you have a lot of freedom to move. Harnesses and buckets restrict this greatly, so if you roll, there's nowhere for you to go. All things considered I'm sticking with my reclining buckets and a cg lock.

Bus w**ker
With standard seats/belts you have a lot of freedom to move. Harnesses and buckets restrict this greatly, so if you roll, there's nowhere for you to go. All things considered I'm sticking with my reclining buckets and a cg lock.
That'll do for me, although I'm gonna go look for a CG lock now.

Bumder With A Buffer
Did you know the odds of getting hit by lighting are 576000 to 1.

I wouldnt go outside in the next storm if i were you lot.

;) ;)

Good post..I do however have a ROAD LEGAL Peugeot 205 GTI which has a roll cage, (note internal fuel tank and battery where passenger seat was) see attached...just to expand on (very valid) point below:

http://www.driversdomainuk.com/img/incar.jpg

"2. In addition, to those of you running a full cage on the road.

Accident + no helmet + banging head on solid metal bar = not good. "

I use FIA approved foam padding which should overcome this problem - can even punch the roll cage without hurting you!!:cool: All road going and track going cars with a roll cage should have this...I do drive the car on the road sometimes, and it is so bizzare - esp the looks, but am aware of the safety issues..

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Lol, so you can duck and avoid ripping your head off in OE seats and belt . . . Right . . . reflexes of a cat?

So your saying if your gonna strip it out, get a cage, but don't because you will smack your head on it, so keep it standard and don't crash.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I really fail to see what it is your trying to say as your contradicting yourself somewhat.

How exactly?

In my mind, its fairly simple really, im trying to point out the restrictions of a caged car to those who may not necessarily have the necessary experience to fall back on, ie those who install a cage as it 'looks nice' & completes 'the look'.

A cage is installed to perform 2 functions, to provide additional chassis rigidity for both improved handling and safety. In order to comply with the latter, you need to ensure that you are using the correct tool for the job so to speak.

As such, if you have fixed buckets & a harness, you should ideally have a half cage if the car is for road use (so as to prevent the roof collapsing on your head in the head of a roll). A half cage is fine for non-helmet use as it is placed behind your seat/head and as such doesnt get in the way.

If you do choose to go for a full cage, ie 6/10 point (inc. front part), & will use it in situations were you wont be using a helmet, you MUST use suitable padding (as per driversdomainuk), or it will cause more injury than good when you smack your head on it ... unfortunately many people dont bother with the padding as it doesnt look cool!!

Lol, so you can duck and avoid ripping your head off in OE seats and belt . . . Right . . . reflexes of a cat?

Effectively, yes. Your natural reaction is to duck, if your fixed in place this cant happen.

i've had convos about this with people before - thing is that the circumstances of every accident are unique and that you've no idea if you'd be better off with this/that/other. some people seem to believe that they'll develop super-human responses and strength whilst sat in a rolling car; time slows down, you can see which parts of the car are deforming around you, and overcome the enormous forces of gravity to move out of the way..

i'm obv. being flippant, as you'll be thrown around like a rag doll.

BTW, the pretensioned seatbelts fitted to these cars are designed to hold you bolt upright in the seat - just as harnesses are

personal opinion is that cages aren't a good idea for the road unless you're going to dress up for them (i.e. wear a helmet)

just my own views - people are obv. happy with taking all sorts of risks as soon as they get in a car, and will justify whatever they fancy (that's not a slant on anyone/thing in any way whatsoever - just a realistic perspective)

How exactly?

In my mind, its fairly simple really, im trying to point out the restrictions of a caged car to those who may not necessarily have the necessary experience to fall back on, ie those who install a cage as it 'looks nice' & completes 'the look'.

A cage is installed to perform 2 functions, to provide additional chassis rigidity for both improved handling and safety. In order to comply with the latter, you need to ensure that you are using the correct tool for the job so to speak.

As such, if you have fixed buckets & a harness, you should ideally have a half cage if the car is for road use (so as to prevent the roof collapsing on your head in the head of a roll). A half cage is fine for non-helmet use as it is placed behind your seat/head and as such doesnt get in the way.

If you do choose to go for a full cage, ie 6/10 point (inc. front part), & will use it in situations were you wont be using a helmet, you MUST use suitable padding (as per driversdomainuk), or it will cause more injury than good when you smack your head on it ... unfortunately many people dont bother with the padding as it doesnt look cool!!

Effectively, yes. Your natural reaction is to duck, if your fixed in place this cant happen.

I'm with you now. Missed the bit about half age initially.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Wouldn't worry, it's cs. Most 'track' cars are sold 1 week after completion having never been near a track.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Wouldn't worry, it's cs. Most 'track' cars are sold 1 week after completion having never been near a track.

Do you think they are sold out of fear??

''Oh s**t, its finished... Now people are going to expect me to drive it fast on track. But what about the 453 layers of wax it has? And will my Nangkang tyres hold out? I couldn't afford good rubber, i wanted a carbon splitter.....''

besides...who would want a roll cage in a road car....."everyday road car" - so damn impractical...

Road cars simply do not need roll cages...yes I know people will respond with the safety issues etc...and how they can save your life etc...think of it like allowing everyone to carry a sorn-off shot gun when they go out after 11pm...yes they could save you getting attacked, but like having a roll cage, it will give you a false sense of security and get you into way more problems than you could have ever imagined..)if you follow my reasoning!!!!:eek:)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Do you think they are sold out of fear??

''Oh s**t, its finished... Now people are going to expect me to drive it fast on track. But what about the 453 layers of wax it has? And will my Nangkang tyres hold out? I couldn't afford good rubber, i wanted a carbon splitter.....''

:lolup: This is exactly why i thought id post this; just in case any of the so called 'track' cars did get used properly.

I simply aimed to try and avoid the 'i just rolled my car & decapitated myself, oops lolz' threads ;)

Now I'm concerned, how you gonna start the "I just decapitated myself thread"

Good post though and really important to consider if you are building a track schlag for the local run to Tescos.

200 FF Storm Grey

So your saying if your gonna strip it out, get a cage, but don't because you will smack your head on it, so keep it standard and don't crash.

He didn't say that though did he, he said if you've got a FULL cage then it needs to be padded, and if you have buckets then you need a rear cage at least.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I heard about this off of Warren and looked into it a lot more.

I am not going to fit my seats now until I can afford to buy a half cage.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
LOL tin cans FTL... As im planing on doing a lot of track days etc I think it will be a worthy investment... The also look ace :cool:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I don't drive fast enough to roll, and fixed seats would piss me off day to, so I won't be getting a cage. For a dedicated track toy, 100% would though.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Interesting info Dave. That has never crossed my mind at all about, so cheers for posting and bumping, missed it first time round. It makes sense to get a half cage with fixed buckets and harnesses.