ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IMPORTANT insurance information FAO: EVERYONE

Apologies for the Caps :p lol

Anyway...

I spoke to an Advanced Driving Instructor bloke today and he pointed out something to me that I had been meaning to check.

Basically, it appears that insurance companies are now withdrawing automatic Third Party Cover on other cars for those who have Fully Comprehensive insurance :S :mad:

I've checked my documents (from Admiral) and it doesn't specifically say I can't drive other cars and be insured, but then it doesn't specifically say I can...

He and his son only found out when they phoned up to check something else I think. They've been driving each other's cars uninsured for months!

So pull out your documents and check to see what it says - if it doesn't specifically mention it, ring them up to check. If you get pulled, ignorance is no excuse! :S

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Yup ive also mentioned this at points.

NORMALLY it used to be an age limit of 25+

But even now they are stopping it.

On mine it says i CANNOT drive any other vehicle.

If it doesnt say on the policy you need to read that thick booklet they send to you when you take the policy out! If not ring them.

None
Some companies still do it but alot are withdrawing now inc Nowrich Union etc so best to ask on the phone. Has something to do with tracing drivers and insurance details being logged on each vehicle etc (without getting technical lol)

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
BTW

****driving other vehicles that way (3rd party) is not for everyday use, only to be used in certain cases as mentioned by every company i rang****

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Good info from an insurance site:

frequent_questions.gif

Will I be insured when driving other cars?

This depends on the individual policy. It is normally only available to over 25's and not normally available to people employed in the motor trade.

If this is something that is important to you then ask to ensure it is included in the policy. We would offer a word of caution. Cover to drive other cars is on a third party only basis and insurance companies insist on certain things being in place.

Therefore please bear in mind that;
  • Cover to drive other cars is third party only. If the car a friend has lent you is stolen whilst you are driving it under this cover, your friend is not insured and will likely not be happy! Likewise any damage you do to your friend vehicle is not covered. For details of exactly what third party only cover is use the link.
  • You must have the drivers permission to drive the vehicle. This is pretty obvious but if you borrow a car without permission and crash it and you took the car without permission then you will face a driving without insurance conviction with serious consequences.
  • The car you drive must be owned and insured by somebody other than yourself. Many people make the mistake of driving cars they have just bought under an existing policy for a different vehicle - you are not covered if you do this. Likewise if a friend gives you loan of a car which they are not insuring, you cannot drive it under your driving extension.

RB 182
I didn't realise till I check mine a while back that you have to be 25 for it to valid.

Maybe this should be a sticky?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
NUD didnt know for me as I originally had it on my first policy which Ive renewed, I've not had anything saying Im not covered which is what the guy asked me so he then said that if you have any problems this call is being recorded and im saying you are insured 3rd party on other cars under this policy.

Good enough for me!

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
if it doesnt say 'you are covered 3rd party on other cars' then you are not covered even if it doesnt say your not.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well the guy categorically said I am and that it was noted at there end. For all I use it I'll hopefully be ok anyway! Always drive other peoples car carefully!

My tesco policy says my fully comp covers my car only. I'm not covered for any other car, apart from when I'm at work as then I'm on pizza huts insurance and insured for the shitty smart cars and my own

Focus ST
Probably one of those pub things, but I've also heard that they are doing away with third party insurance altogether. The minimum will be be third party fire and theft.

Like I said probably one of those pub things.

BMW Z4 3.0i
I've had my own insurance for about the last 5/6 years and I've never been issued a policy which has covered me to any degree other than on my own named car.

I'm with elephant (part of the bell group) when i asked about it they said you need to be 25.
So I waited & as i'm now 25 its fine. I asked them to amend the policy so that I have it in writing - I have it on the certificate now, it cost me a tenner for the policy to be amended (its only £3 if done on line though)

Mine doesnt say on the policy til i phoned and they said its okay if your over 25 :( 4 and a bit years to wait then!!

with norwich union <------ crap!

FF Blackgold 182
Apparently, the fuzz wants to tighten up this "loophole" because so many people are driving around in anybody elses cars on the cheap

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Mine says I can drive any other vehicle belonging to someone else, providing I,
A) Have their premission
B) The car is already insured by the owner.
It covers me for third party only on a vehicle that does not belong to me.
Doesn't mention an age limit. I think I pass the over 25 thing anyway.;)

Last edited:
  clio 182 black /gold
I rang Adrian Flux to insure a car from the stealer they said i was already covered, so whey hay.

Clio Sport 2.0 51 Reg
Yep my BF John got pulled over when he was 26 for driving his dads car...he was fully comp and being that age he thought he was covered, ended up with SIX points and £165 fine!!!!!

Suzuki Ignis
i pay £1330 with quinn TPFT and im covered to drive any other car. Phoned them up the other day aswell just to be sure and they said I can drive anything aslong as i have the owners permission:)

RENAULT SPORT CLIO 172
I am with Direct Line and i am covered but only 3rd and you have to be over 25years old and have the permission of the owner.

There are no official rules on this, all insurance companies are different. Mine for example, (which I will not mention the name of as if too many people find out about this, the insurance company will realise and stop it) lets me drive any car aslong as it isn't a super car or a jeep, aslong as I have the permision off the owner, and the car I'm driving doesn't even have to be insured by the owner. So I am insured on a 1992 seat ibiza, which is currently costing me £500 third party, and I drive around in my dads clio sport ;) , which isn't insured by anyone.

I am only 20, and I have been doing this for 3 year now, I have checked with the insurance company a few times, as people kept telling me the car your driving must already be insured, but I have been told its fine, and I have also been pulled over by the police a few times who also say its fine.

And my excuse for driving my dads car all the time...........well......... mine has problems with the petrol tank so I am borrowing the clio untill it is fixed.

I have already been in two crashes, one in my dads clio rsi, and one in his clio williams when he had them ;) lol
neither of the crashes were my fault, and the claims came through fine.

So don't listen to what people say, find out from the horses mouth, YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY.

forgot to mension that one, I can't tax the cars with my insurance, but my friend is a mechanic so he can tax any car on his insurance

Honda Civic Type R '02
I have been able to drive anything 3rd party (thats not owned by me) since i was 17. Only realised last month.

forgot to mension that one, I can't tax the cars with my insurance, but my friend is a mechanic so he can tax any car on his insurance
Yep your not insured to drive the 172/182 he's a traders so can this is sometimes being removed thogh from traders cover unless they register the car to themselves.
the car your driving must already be insured, but I have been told its fine, and I have also been pulled over by the police a few times who also say its fine.

So don't listen to what people say, find out from the horses mouth, YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY.
Yep but your forgetting the problem you have that when you part the car or leave it unattended on the road etc its not covered since your not driving it so therfore its an ininsuured car and can be taken off the road.

That sounds very suspect...!
Its not its just a stupid way that insurance compnaies know exists but try and close by removing cover its upposed to be an emergency copy. Insuracne have an easy fix that is to stop people driving other cars third party.

But insurance compnaies have a good thing that if the cars vandalised or stolen as its not covered and since its not covered they can inform the police who will find out how the car was like that and press charges again the registered owner/whoever the owner says was driving.

bmw 318ci coupe
i am also insured by quinn direct, i am 20 and hold my own policy, i rang up to check and they said i am allowed to drive ANY car as long as it is not in my name and it is road legal, (tax'd and MOT'D) that is.

i asked if the car had to be insured by the owner and they said no as it was only my policy they had to deal with,

guess whos looking for a type R CIVIC at the minute!!

i am also insured by quinn direct, i am 20 and hold my own policy, i rang up to check and they said i am allowed to drive ANY car as long as it is not in my name and it is road legal, (tax'd and MOT'D) that is.

i asked if the car had to be insured by the owner and they said no as it was only my policy they had to deal with,

guess whos looking for a type R CIVIC at the minute!!

The second you get out the car its not covered hence can be taken away.

PS check your policy as he policy driving of other cars is in emergency not full time use you'll have to prove your not driving it all the time.

CBR1K, F21 125D
yeah me too 21 and on third party fire and theft 1250 wounded!!
mind u i have had 2 accidents lol

Black 197
Im with Admiral...

Pay £580 PA

Fully comprehensive

not bad for 27 and 5 yrs no claims

Certificate also states i can drive any motor vehicle not belonging to me with owners permission..

So i insure my RS182 for work and stuff and drive my m8's R33 GTR Skyline for fun too :)

Dodgy one
Do people not read their insurance when they get it anyway? Can only drive my Dads and missus, because i'm listed as a named driver. Other than that i can drive Sweet FA