ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Increasing My Wireless Range

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
Picture describes current wireless set-up at home (RED), the GREEN circle is where i want to add signal to, basically to the out-building.

Wireless.jpg

We currently have a Buffalo Air-Station WMR-G54 and ideally i want to add a booster to the far end of the house, running an ethernet cable through the loft connecting the current router to the booster.

I was wondering what the best products and methods are of achieving this?

A modern more powerful wireless router does not do the job, as i have borrowed a friends to try.

Thanks

Go cry to your momma!
I'd just mount an external antenna in the loft with a decent amount of gain if I were you mate :)

A good website for you to look at would be solwise.co.uk
The site seems a little amateur but I've ordered from them before with great success..

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
trying to get a universal wireless repeater, an external antenna in the loft will not give me the required range due to the materials in the house and the large distances involved.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
the outhouse has power but i would need at least 2 of these plugs to get the signal across far enough.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
the outhouse has power but i would need at least 2 of these plugs to get the signal across far enough.

Nope, You plug one into the router directly, and into the wall power socket.

The other end goes in your outhouse.

BMW 118d
Be careful of the extenders that use the mains power cables to extend signal. I have heard that they can be good, but the sockets need to be on the same mains circuit, otherwise they don't work so well.

I take it that you are in an old house with thick brick walls?! I work from my parents house, in an outbuilding, and had the same problem. Ended up getting

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...m=null&tm=null&sku=538536&category_oid=-35258

which seems to work quite well, although can be a bit tempremental at times.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
yeah the power cabling in the house is all over the place, i think the outhouse is not part of the same system as my house.

The house is all thick oak wood basically and this absolutely kills the signal.

the Belkin thing there would it just connect it to my current wireless router via an ethernet cable probably about 50m long and then place it in the roof at the far end of the house?

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Be careful of the extenders that use the mains power cables to extend signal. I have heard that they can be good, but the sockets need to be on the same mains circuit, otherwise they don't work so well.

I take it that you are in an old house with thick brick walls?! I work from my parents house, in an outbuilding, and had the same problem. Ended up getting

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...m=null&tm=null&sku=538536&category_oid=-35258

which seems to work quite well, although can be a bit tempremental at times.

As long as they all run through the same consumer unit there's no problem.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
i was thinking about one of these...

LINK

Would the system be set-up like this?

Buffalo Router --->50meters ethernet cable---> TP-Link (repeater mode)

BMW 118d
As long as they all run through the same consumer unit there's no problem.

At my parents there is the main board, then from there, there are approximately 6 other boards around the house, so difficult to trace all cabling.

The belkin unit I am sure that you can connect via ethernet cable, then basically is an additonal access point, but uses the original router. I have it set up so that it is on the limit of the original wireless. It then picks up the original wireless signal, and boosts it.

Revels Mum & Sister
trying to get a universal wireless repeater, an external antenna in the loft will not give me the required range due to the materials in the house and the large distances involved.

Mount a directional antenna outside like below and point towards the Outhouse. It will reach it no problem with a directional antenna

http://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/index.php?target=categories&category_id=209

OR as above Solwise are good to use as well. Failing that a cat5 cable (up to 100m I believe)