ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction Kit questions...

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

Debating about fitting an induction kit as one of the things about my Cup I dislike is the low down acceleration and have been told this should improve things.
Firstly is that correct?

Secondly, there seem to be three obvious options open to me. K&N GenII Induction kit, Pipercross Induction Kit and Pipercross Viper induction kit.

What are the differences between the three? Standard Pipercross seems the cheapest, with the Viper kit the most expensive.
Advantages and disadvantages of each one?

Thanks
Andrew

Lionel Richie

open filters loose power on the F4R engine (unless relocated/shielded for engine heat)

an indution kit wont do much without a relative ECU modification in my opinion

it worthwhile remove the CAT also

Golf R/Leon FR

best to get an closed induction kit, remove the cat for sports cat or bypass pipe, full system, then remap the ecu.

Skoda Fabia vRS

why not get a panel filter and then re-route the OE cold air feed, basically getting you a closed induction kit for about £50

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

Thanks for the posts.
Think I might give this one a miss as am reluctant to start messing around with the ECU or removing the CAT - I smell insurance and emission problems :)

However IF I did go that route, what ecu remap should I look at?
phoenixy - you mention a sports cat system? Not seen any systems with these, just cat back or no cat at all.

I assume the Pipercross Viper is a closed system and the rest are open? My technical knowledge of cars is limited :)

BRUN - how would I re-route the cold air feed? Simple words please! lol

Andrew

Skoda Fabia vRS

basically take off the ducting what the OE air box uses and get some flexi hose and put it to a better source of cold air

Suzuki SV650

The OE airbox uses a butterfly solenoid/valve to close one of the cold air pipes when the engine rpm is low to help low down torque, Ive got an ITG Maxogen kit which is regarded as the best closed induction kit on the market for the 172/182 and I dont think its really helped low down torque anyway, it feels better after 4.5krpm Id say but not low down, after all, it is a 16v engine so dont expect miracles anything unless you keep the revs high in the power range.

Im looking at getting a K&N Generation II kit, they look fairly good, or I might just put the standard airbox back on with an ITG panel filter, Id say thats one of the few good cheap options for the 172/182s....

VaVa

If anything my 172 occasionally feels more sluggish below 5krpm with my maxogen. Could be my imagination, but it does seem to pick up slower. Hopefully a remap will sort that a little.

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 31 July 2005 at 7:29am]