ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction kits for 172

Just thought I would say hi to every one, Just picked up a 172 and would like some advice on an induction kit for it.

From what i have read seems to be a choice of 2 either the viper or the bmc, any advice would be great, cheapest place to buy and good after sales, and any setup advice while i am installing just any help in general would be good :)

Thanks in advance

dino

Renault Laguna Coupe

Hi dino, and welcome :D

Any of these kits will do a good job - expect some difficulty routing the cold air feeds though, but it has been done.

Whichever you fit youll find that your fuelling is a bit lean - the kits work too well. This can be corrected with a re-map of your ECU. London Superchips can do this for you.

Youre probably looking at £500+ for all this (including the price of the induction kit), and you may decide that a panel filter does a perfectly good job for about £30.

Thanks for the info, spoke to prima today and they have a package that dont sound to bad, green induction kit(whatever that is) a remapped ecu and a full stainless exhaust, for 799 fitted and a print out off the rolling road, doesnt seem like a bad deal, they say should get 20bhp extra, and the good news is that when i got the car last week, there was a decat pipe on it and the garage had to take it off as they couldnt put it through a MOT with it on , so got a brand new cat and a decat inc in the price :))) so with the above mod will be crossing my fingers for the magic 200 on the rolling road, I can but dream :))

dino

Sounds good mate well done, Not sure you will see 20bhp from a chip, exhaust and airfilter, but how one car responds is often different to how another one does. Many 172s are in the high160bhps anyway so it might take some more work to hit the magic 200! Best of luck though dude :)

Renault Laguna Coupe

Dino - make sure theres plenty of cold air getting to that induction kit, or youre just as likely to lose power as gain it.

Dino

Dont go with a green induction kit, in fact dont go with any open induction system on the 172

Under bonnet temperatures are high, and you dont want that in your intake airflow, so only consider a viper or bmc cda

And Prima..... Hmmm well personally Id steer well clear of them, theyre now doing a clone of the infamous L.A.D. conversion ROFLMFAO

Ive just ordered myself a PiperX Viper induction kit - the guys at Xtreme reckoned that its been tested to get an increase of >10bhp on a bog standard Saxo - Wheres this gonna leave mine without getting the ECU re-mapped?

Well the plot thickens the garage I am buying the car from (my mate works there) told me that they took off an induction kit for it, and had to fit a cat to it cos there wasnt one, so i remembered seeing a sticker under the bonnet about racing or somthing so got my mate to go and check and he said it was a prima racing sticker, I actually get the car tomorrow as they had to get a cat for it, so spoke to prima and they need this serial off the sticker and they can tell me what they did to it, but the chap on the end of the phone said they wouldnt fit one for minor mods, most likely been chipped or had there conversion on it which is 700 quid, (induction kit chip and exhaust) and they say 20bhp extra for these mods, so am itching to see what its had done to it when i get it tomorrow, so if there saying 20 with there chip , induction kit , and an exhaust , wonder how much it will be with the de cat pipe??? :) all good fun though !!! so till wednesday morning and i can get my serial number :)))))))

Well got the car today and oh my god, spoke to prima and they said it had had a chip fitted, and a decat pipe and an exhaust by them, the garage had took the decat off but they gave me it, so first job was to get it put back on and all i can say is BUY ONE if you dont have one, the engine revs up far quicker seems to be a lot smoother through the rev range, the garage threw the induction kit so guess its a viper for me, demon tweeks have them in at £247 inc the cold air pipe, any one know of any one cheaper?any meets coming up soon??? nice to put a face to some of the names :)

dino

Clio 1.6 16V
  Clio 172 Cup

can u explain wat u have done there flying scotsman?

is that the origianl air filter box? Do u leave the lid off?

Wats that wire attached to the filter?

How did u get the air intake tube like that? IS it safe to rip out the one already installed on the cup? I cant really see what it connects to in my engine bay. can u explain?

Also is the air intake pipe taken down to your grill at the bottom ? i.e. cold air intake

cheers

Quote: Originally posted by Flying Scotsman on 11 September 2003

Hi jpmad4it2,

The filter is an original K&N 57i kit for a MK2 172. I have mounted it in a custom insulated metal housing that seals against the insde of the bonnet and keeps the temp about 2 deg C within ambient (measured buy the temp sensor you see in the picture). The air intake is from the front grill as shown below via a 75mm ducting;

http://www.fifegallery.co.uk/domains/cliosport/coldair01.jpg

Whered you get that air feed piping mate? I cant find much in the way of decent piping thats the right size...cheers

Clio 172 Cup

and would you say that it works better than a viper mate, if i took the air intake hose down to where yours is (using a viper)?

Cos i dont fancy paying £250 for an air filter!!! Although the K&N was £109 (ripped off??)

Clio 172 Cup

and my original question about the original air intake system--- on my cup what do i do with the original pipe attached to the air filter box

Has anyone considered making another hole in the standard airbox and attached a 60-70mm flexible hose to get more air into the standard box? Could be a cheaper alternative to a sealed induction. Worked well on a Fiat coupe turbo, but then that was forced induction if that makes a difference.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but do the standard air boxs have a cold feed pipe going down by the wheel arch? mine has got a pipe there just wondered if this is part of the old induction system that the garage removed?? or just standard equipment, was thinking of mounting a 57i inside the original air box cos it has a cold air feed and the getting the air box either gold leafed 23 3/4 carrat m8 is a clockmaker and can do it for me for free :)) cos that is supposed to be the best heat reflector off all, or just covered in heat resistant silver paint then applying heat proof silver foil while wet to get it to bond to it :) sorry but 250 for an air filter is just way to much :((( or could do both and apply the gold leaf to the silver foil :)) would look a bit flashy thats for sure :)) all thoughts welcome well only good ones!

dino

LOL!

its an airbox/filter......a gold plated one is OTT.

the std airbox has 2 hoses comming out from it, they should both be plugged in.

A free gold plated one is not so OTT if it works lol , just a thought though as it would only cost around 90 quid for the 57i and a few quid for the paint and thermo foil and the gold leaf is free lol, see what u mean tho, just a thought though trying to save me sme dollars :))) any reason why a 57i couldnt be fitted in the original air box housing? just a thought :)

dino

Well had it on the rollers yesterday and its pushing out 151 bhp at the wheels so if my math is right thats 186 at the fly?? no induction kit on it as yet, so if any one in the northwest wants there car on the rollers and has a viper or a BMC that i could try on mine at the same time to see the difference that would be cool, cost is 25 quid to go on the rollers and will do a couple of runs with it, some pics of the car and de cat pipe added.

dino

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1063460875__decat.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1063460661__172.jpg

knoxville - try Xtreme (01279 412603) or R-Tec, they both quoted me £200 for a Viper. Xtreme are fitting mine for £35.

Integra DC5 Type R

Hey guys, seeing as you lot have a string on this subject already, I wont post another.

I had a look at the standard air box set up on my 172 (03 plate) with the aim of getting a PiperX Viper. The standard air filter is enclosed with a feed going into the side of the air box. if you follow this feed pipe out of the box, it goes to the bottom of the engine bay to a square grille/grate at the bottom of the bumper next in front of the wheel... so even the standard air box is getting a cold air feed.

This is a definite option for locating the cold air feed rather than cutting holes or removing fog lamps.

Rick

Clio 1.6 16V

Rick,

The feed you are talking about goes down past the rear of the NS headlight to an air valve, but doesnt go right down to the grill in front of the wheel (unless it has changed from 02). But there is also another air feed that comes out from the air box that is fed from a vent high up in front of the battery, which will suck in warm air. So both feeds tend to contradict each other in terms of cold air feed. Better to join both these inlet pipes to a larger diameter down to the front grill or the grill in front of the wheel .... just there aint enough room....75mm max even if you remove the air valve. Will be trying this idea on the Gzas Cup after my hols.