ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

info on clio turbo

i have talked about this before and i am determind to make my 1.4rt in to a turbo. what i want to know is if a renault 5turbo garrett t2 would work on my clio and build a nuff psi pressure for my engine. if anyone can help at all please post me thanks

p.s im not intrested in a r5 conversion

Okay mate there are a couple of us who dream about a low pressure turbo conversion for the 1.4spi. (If a company came up with the goods I reckon they would make a mint)

But there are some real issues to resolve before it would be possible. Dont get me wrong, Im sure with enought time, money and effort thrown at it, it could be done. It just never has been before as far as I know.

Here are just a couple of problems:

Compression ratio = too high

Single injector is crap

Need custom inlet and exhaust manifolds made

Need beefed up ECU, possibly a remapable jobbie?

There are lots of other things as well which I cant think of right now.

I did look into it at one point. I even considered whether it might be possible to use the inlet manifold and fuel rail (or even entire head) of the 1.6 mpi megane engine.

It would be quite easy to fabricate a steel plate to reduce the compression, or for a better (and far more expensive option) find some shortened pistons.

I would also guess that if you searched hard enough you could find someone to fabricate a suitable exhaust manifold.

The problem is I am making it sound like a simple bolt on affair, when in reality there are far more technical problems that would be encountered.

FRST and 106 GTi

I would like to know, also, if the megane 1.6lts MPI fits the RT head... dont worry about the ecu, thats another chapter too long to be posted.

Has anyone done this? never got one on my hands to see.

FRST and 106 GTi

I would like to know, also, if the megane 1.6lts MPI fits the RT head... dont worry about the ecu, thats another chapter too long to be posted.

Has anyone done this? never got one on my hands to see.

Other kind of MPI is possible? need to know what inj use and where can get the custom TB.

clio 20v

i still dont think you can beat the r5 gtt conversion

i seen one recently at the local reno spares place that a guy there is building

its an rt but wiv valver front and rear arches its still being finished but will look smart wen done also had r5 clocks which was quite cool cos they hav a boost guage

adi

thanks ben p

it seems you know a lot and i will take your word for it . it ant worth the greef so i might consider a transplant . have you got a list of parts i would need for is, thanks mate

ben what sort of car have you got and what have you done to it ?

There are a few different opinions on the 5GTT converison Torsion Tuning want £1800 and a complete running doner car, which to me was way over the odds as to buy a good 5 you need to be sending itleast a £1000, and then scrap it?! Juss from the boards has a freind of a friend who uses a completely different method, and uses different drive shafts, and keep the Clio dash and use custom dials.

But there is a lad on here with an RT with a GTT in it PaulRobo I think his name is and I think it was another forum user Turbodaley who did the conversion for him.

Long winded but may be of some use!!

Marcus

No problem mate. Like I said I have looked into every different possibility for the engine of my car.

At the moment it is pretty standard just with exhaust + induction kit

Ordering alloys next week and will drop it 55-60mm at the same time.

I have recently been looking closely at the R5Gtt engine to see how difficult it would be to do. As I see it there are 2 main problems

1 = The subframe of the RT will probably need strengthening somehow

2= The RT has an in-tank fuel pump which is operated by the ECU. On a 5Gtt you obviously dont have an ECU (these cars had an in line pump mounted under the rear of the car) so if you didnt do anything to compensate for this, your fuel pump would be constantly running which could be dangerous. I should imagine the companies that offer conversions fit some kind of intertia fuel shut-off device (Ive found a couple on the net which I think might be suitable)

Apart from these the only headache would be the wiring, but I have diagrams for both the RT and the 5Gtt so with a bit of patience that shouldnt be too bad. And I know it will physically fit ok, just need to drill some extra holes for the engine mounts and maybe move a couple of things around (battery)

As for what parts you would need it would probaly be best and cheapest to locate a full car and take everything you need. (You could then nab the clocks and extra guages)

Engine/box/engine wiring loom

Ancillaries - alternator/radator/intercooler/anti-perculation system inc fans/inlet/exhaust manifolds and of course turbo ;)

Like someone mentioned above though, finding a decent car complete probably wouldnt be cheap

Speak to Turbo Daley, he done mine and its swet as.

Batter in boot. He done the conversion, now im gonna head for 200BHP.

Cheers mate its mailto:B_Parfitt@hotmail.com">B_Parfitt@hotmail.com

Basically I just want to run a few things past him before I go ripping my engine out!

Ph1 172

im havin my 1.4rt converted into a r5gtturbo engine at the mo, i enquired about also putting a turbo on my existing engine, but like ben said its not really worth it cause of the amount of work that has to be done on the existing engine.

i found a donor car and got the engine out of that and am getting it re-built then dropped into my car,i admit its not cheap but ive been in a clio GTT and i think its well worth it! there not exactly common either!

matbrown what have you got for sale? have you got the lot for a conversion ?what sort of mile has it done?

where abouts are you ?

thanks

Trophy

1994 clio 16v engine,

69,000 miles, almost everything, needs radiator and alternator. Price excludes gearbox!

Everything else you can have.

Im in Hinckley, Midlands.

Mat.

Dude would that price include loom/manifolds/coolant hoses/power steering resevoir/ECU?

I am interested for sure

Trophy

Power steering reservoir is also bust, ill see if i can pick one up! But everything else on that list, yes.

Mat.

Nahh you wanna buy my 1.7 Turbo engine... ;)

Supprised noone is that interested, either as a full conversion, or maybe the head with all the inlet and turbo gubbins will bolt onto a 1.4.

16v gbox is different from the 1.4 RTs - yes. Has to cope with more power and torque for starters, then the ratios are also higher too...Ive never seen an RT get to 90+ in 3rd!!

However, a 16 Valver with an RT gbox would probably do 0-60 in under 6 secs without mods...but would probably top out at 100 if not less!...if you can make it fit that is!