ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Info regarding non cup 182 aftermarket dampers.

Right, over the last month or so ive been trying to get some Koni shocks fitted to my non cup 182.
Some may have read my other posts.
First of all I went to BBPT who checked and confirmed that the Koni shocks for the 172 doesnt fit my model from this I then emailed ktec who said that they would either fit or wont fit and that there was a possiblility that renault could have fitted the wrong parts from new!?!..... Still being completely confused I went to Renault who checked on there computer that the part numbers for hubs and shocks for the 172 was exactly the same for the non cup 182 which Im now thinking that person also got that information wrong....????
Now my latest adventure took me to Elite in Essex who were very good they had my car up in the air took some details part number,code etc..From the suspension.. Armed with there information they contacted Koni direct who confirmed that there is no kit available for the non cup 182 but are now aware of the differences in the range so they are now putting these into developement and have told me that it could be upto 6-12 months for these to come into production.

What bothers/confuses me is that 2 company,s and Koni themselves say that the 172 is not the same fitment as the non cup 182 now Im happy with there findings.
I no I never got alot of response from my previous posts regarding this issue probably because no one really knew, but do the company,s advertising the fitment of the 172-non cup182 really no if they fit or not!?.........

Regards
Rob.

tiTTy & SV650
sticky it!!!

so the shockers are different because? is it the bolt spacing at the hub or something?

What BBPT said, and they showed me there is a slight difference in the angle of the bolt holes the spacing is the same as the 172 but the angle is slightly different.
What I dont undertsand is renault showed me on there computer that both 172 and non cup 182 have the same part numbers for hub and shock, and 172 cup and 182 cup also have the same part numbers can anyone else confirm this??

tiTTy & SV650
I always thought they needed a chassis number or reg number to get the part numbers?

maybe there's other search options, I'm led to believe rear shockas are the same but its the fronts that vary?

cock mobile.
Non Cupped 182s need to have after market 172 shocks or coilovers to fit your hubs.

Rear shocks are the same on all Clios Mk2's size wise. Damper rates etc I suppose shoudl be linked to spring rates and since a Cuped 182 has harder springs than a 172 they should if there using the stock springs change the damper rate but they will still fit.

Try Blistein they do replacment shocks very good prices as well compaired to Renault.

Nissan 350Z
So basically, i am confused also: is there no aftermarket suspension options at present that will go on a non cupped 182?

I am a bit concerned about that, especially since to be honest, i wasnt really clued up on the differences at the time when i bought mine (between cup and non cup), and mine was second hand so i was never given the option of whether to have cup packs or not. I just chose the car in the best condition!

I want aftermarket suspension at some stage but i am now concerned that it might not be possible.

pbirkett said:
So basically, i am confused also: is there no aftermarket suspension options at present that will go on a non cupped 182?

I am a bit concerned about that, especially since to be honest, i wasnt really clued up on the differences at the time when i bought mine (between cup and non cup), and mine was second hand so i was never given the option of whether to have cup packs or not. I just chose the car in the best condition!

I want aftermarket suspension at some stage but i am now concerned that it might not be possible.
Normal 172 stuff will fit.
I've go to try and check but you might need s aslight modification to a bole or least use camber bolt to make the camber right as ther 182 has wider track.

Clio 197
rwaterman said:
What BBPT said, and they showed me there is a slight difference in the angle of the bolt holes the spacing is the same as the 172 but the angle is slightly different.]

So that would only affect the camber of your wheel?

If the bolts fit, it should fit IMO (but I'm no expert, and I've never tried it).

Oms said:
So that would only affect the camber of your wheel?

If the bolts fit, it should fit IMO (but I'm no expert, and I've never tried it).

BBPT have said and showed me that the 172 shocks have the same bolt spacing so will fit but the angle is different so you would have to upset the camber of the wheel this is correct Oms but because of this problem you could use camber bolts but this IMO is a crude way of doing it, you want something that fits perfect and not have to use the extra parts to make it fit!!

So when looking at the measurements on the 172 koni shock and comparing that to the 182 non cup hubs you will see that it is not a straight forward swap because there is about 2.5mm-3mm difference in the angle... Understanding?
Rear shocks, the same!

Elite got a part number from my car (suspension area) and spoke to koni who confirmed that it was not the same as the 172 shock but renault on there computer says that it is????