ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Initial steps

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I hear alot about these PC machines on here, but more importantly, before all the polishing and detailing, what do you do first?

Do you hose the car down, Then wash it with a sponge and soapy water? I'm guessing not, Im interested too see what you are all using intially?

What are you using instead of sponges? Lambs wool mits?

What are you using in the water? Meguirs Gold Class?

What are you using to dry your car?

Thanks

106 GTi
Once a year before a big machine polish -

Rinse, wash with the two bucket method, shampoo and a lambswool Mitt.

AG Tar Remover as needed, re-wash those areas, rinse.

While still wet clay using a soapy water mixture, rinse or rewash if needed.

Dry with a Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
just ordered a Microfiber Waffle Weave, well 2 of em :)

Ordered a Meguirs car Shampoo Gold class I believe

Just going to buy some of this tar remover and a Clay. Is Meguiars the best Clay? When you say soapy water mix, are you talking about as a lubricant? Should i not use the supplied lubricant?

How often should I clay my daily driver?

106 GTi
Meguiars clay is fine they are all much the same.

I mix up 2 -4 capfulls of car soap and water in a spray bottle and clay using that after pre wetting the panel first with soapy car wash and a mitt. Works better for me, plus you dont have to dry the car first like you do with when using the QD.

My daily driven car still only gets clayed once a year, twice I cared about it ;)

Once clayed and well sealed stuff tends not to stick very easily. All depends on the are your park/live/work, close to railways and heavy industry means it means to be done more frequently.

106 GTi
Wash the car - Put you hand in a clean plastic sanwich bag, rub it over your paint, if it feels rough and gritty or catches at all - paint needs claying.