ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inlet Valves - Diagnosing engine problem

Track 172cup
following on from this thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=459111

after a busy few months i finally managed to get my finger out and get a start on finding out whats up with this engine

got the top engine mount off and all the belts are still in place and not loose, managed to crank it over by hand and it moves freely, after doing that i thought i would check the inlet valves again for any movement before i went to compression test it and it's a good job i did as it looks like a couple of the valves in the first inlet have dropped lower down than the rest, the valves are still in tact with no obvious damage to them

anyone have an idea how/why this would happen and what other damage could have been done by this ?

Inlet 1 (showing the valves that have dropped)

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024 x 768 and is 210 KB.
Inletvalve1.jpg

Inlet 2

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024 x 768 and is 217 KB.
Inletvalve2.jpg

Inlet 3

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024 x 768 and is 156 KB.
Inletvalve3.jpg

Inlet 4

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024 x 768 and is 199 KB.
Inletvalve4.jpg

any help is appreciated as always ;)

M

mini-valver

Because the cam only opens the valves in one cylinder at a time. Spin it round and you'll see them close, and another set open.

Track 172cup
cheers mate, it's obvious now you've said it but the valves in the first inlet were sitting slightly lower than the rest before i cranked it by hand and they were sitting like that after i had cranked it a few times, must have just been pure coincidence that i left it on the first inlet both times, i'll crank it over again and make sure their all ok in the next day or 2

i'll try and compression test it as i was going to and see what that shows if anything