ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inline oil temp adaptor

Want to run a gauge for pas temp but obviously searching for a simple t piece only exists in america to accommodate the temp probe. Anyone know of any adaptors or sensors that are an easy fit? (Before I order from overseas)

@ADVOCULTMOTORSPORT who has made that new PAS line kit might be able to help.

Managed to find a t piece with lugs to bolt to a bracket, just needed to search for all the correct fittings, should be nice and neat. Still to order gauge and sensor but deciding on gauges.

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 04.21.59.png

Maybe you've tried a dodgy column.

I've driven which felt lifeless and vague

Very happy with my currrent set up. Feels as good as I remember it with PAS. Plus I now have the option to adjust it when needed.

@Martin. More than most say epas feels numb, perhaps a healthy motor and ecu solves that but Ive spent some 800+ on the rack and lines so far, so this is a small price to pay overall.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
I drove an EPAS converted Clio to see what it was like and as most people have said it didn't feel right the feedback was abit vague and you didn't get the feeling the steering wheel was really controlling the front wheels lol
But I knew I was just going to have to suck as had no choice but to fit EPAS as my Dry Sump Pump takes up the room required for the HPAS pump, during the install I used a DCi manual rack and when it came time to test it I found it was excellent and nothing like the looped H-Rack I driven previously.
Whether I just fell lucky and got a very nice EPAS motor I'm not sure but it would be interested to hear if anyone else with a EPAS conversion using the DCi manual rack is as happy with it as me?

Rich

Last edited:
Maybe you've tried a dodgy column.

I've driven which felt lifeless and vague

Very happy with my currrent set up. Feels as good as I remember it with PAS. Plus I now have the option to adjust it when needed.

What alignment settings are you using? And how consistent is the resistance when quick changes of the wheel?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
My 172 with a dCi rack and no assistance feels spot on. I'll be sticking the dCi column on and wiring up the EPAS module soon, I prefer no assistance for track but coming into a carpark without PAS is a bit of a fucker on the wrists😂

My 172 with a dCi rack and no assistance feels spot on. I'll be sticking the dCi column on and wiring up the EPAS module soon, I prefer no assistance for track but coming into a carpark without PAS is a bit of a fucker on the wrists😂

Whats got me interested is programming the epas to increase/decrease resistance the slower/faster you go. That coupled with geometry changes to give more steering feedback/feel I reckon its not all bad!

My steering has got so much self centre demand I reckon its got more resistance than manual steering on an oem setup!!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Whats got me interested is programming the epas to increase/decrease resistance the slower/faster you go. That coupled with geometry changes to give more steering feedback/feel I reckon its not all bad!

My steering has got so much self centre demand I reckon its got more resistance than manual steering on an oem setup!!
Not thought about that. I'm not sure if you could use the BMW one and intercept speed input and then use that output to the EPAS box?

This is what I was trying to make, was about to trim the plate around the block and then just fasten to under the rez bottle. Well It will come in handy for something Im sure
IMG_5758.JPG

Not thought about that. I'm not sure if you could use the BMW one and intercept speed input and then use that output to the EPAS box?
You mean the e46 m3 csl pump? I watched that driftworks build and thats what he used he said it was progammable like the motorsport ones! I looked for those today funnily enough but didnt spend much time probably cost a lot more. I found this company that seem to be huge crooks and sell renault columns for 800 quid but market them as their own, they do adjustable assistance like from the ebay portugal guy and then a loom that connects of a speed reading thats what got me thinking.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
The DCi rack also has a steering angle sensor built into it, be interesting to see if an aftermarket ECU could control the assist on the motor for you.
I have a DTA S100 Pro, I'll ask Alex Chard (DTA Owner) at the Autosport Show on Friday if it can be done with a DTA?

Rich

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
This is what I was trying to make, was about to trim the plate around the block and then just fasten to under the rez bottle. Well It will come in handy for something Im sure
View attachment 1447216

You have the Pure PAS quickrack like me right?
I am still thinking of the electric pas pump.
How would you regulate pressure? With pump rpm or proper pressure regulator?

Very interested in your PAS fluid temps btw.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
The DCi rack also has a steering angle sensor built into it, be interesting to see if an aftermarket ECU could control the assist on the motor for you.
I have a DTA S100 Pro, I'll ask Alex Chard (DTA Owner) at the Autosport Show on Friday if it can be done with a DTA?

Rich

I had a word with Alex at AS20 and he said with the correct loom made between the DCi steering sensor and the EPAS motor control the DTA could easily control the assist on the motor you could build a completely custom map or just have a standard setup where you get more assist with more steering angle or even incorporate a speed input and adjust the assist by steering degrees vs mph of car, but said you could make it infinitely tunable.

Rich

You have the Pure PAS quickrack like me right?
I am still thinking of the electric pas pump.
How would you regulate pressure? With pump rpm or proper pressure regulator?

Very interested in your PAS fluid temps btw.

I wont be fitting the guage now unfortunately as the rack shat it self. I would of liked to of known the temps as well to see what sort of driving does what to the system.

Im not sure with the electric pumps, I know with belt driven a company were selling adaptors that just let more or less pressure through to the rack, were a cheap solution but to change youd have to re bleed the system

I had a word with Alex at AS20 and he said with the correct loom made between the DCi steering sensor and the EPAS motor control the DTA could easily control the assist on the motor you could build a completely custom map or just have a standard setup where you get more assist with more steering angle or even incorporate a speed input and adjust the assist by steering degrees vs mph of car, but said you could make it infinitely tunable.

Rich

More the reason to get a proper ecu now! I wonder how much data could be used for the mapping of the assist, I had the idea of using yaw and cg data to make the steering assist more consistent since in a turn espeically with the bank against you, the steering would be at its heaviest. Obviously youd probably want some vary in assistance but youd know if you were in bank regardless of how the wheel feels.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
More the reason to get a proper ecu now! I wonder how much data could be used for the mapping of the assist, I had the idea of using yaw and cg data to make the steering assist more consistent since in a turn especially with the bank against you, the steering would be at its heaviest. Obviously you'd probably want some vary in assistance but you'd know if you were in bank regardless of how the wheel feels.

With a Yaw control input you need a very expensive sensor I'd imagine and the feedback loop would have to be mega, say you got yourself in a tank slapper of slide and the constant back and fore on the wheel at speed while it pitches and rolls could do assorts of strange things lol
Maybe try and with just a simple angle v assist first and then take it from there I can't see why adding the vehicle speed in would be an issue but I probably wouldn't go more complicated than that.

Rich