ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

inner drivers side cv joint(valver)

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
I'm changing my inner drivers CV boot.

i can't remove the the tripod on the shaft. i thought they were held on using clip but mine is isn't it seem to be wedges.

P160510_1449.jpg

has any got a clue on how to get it off.

also are the boots Renault only because the one I got from the local factors and it attaches on the out part of the joint whilst the valver one attaches on the inside using a retaining ring.

P160510_145002.jpg

you can just see it in the pic, sorry for the rubbish pics just wouldn't come out properly

ITB'd MK1
the end of the shaft is peened over to retain the spider. Probably have to carefully grind the peened part. DON'T get it hot or you'll weaken the hardened splines of the shaft.

The boot on some shafts (mine for sure) is a sealed unit, and not available from renault, new shaft only

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
thanks i think its time for a new shaft then, far to much ball ache for a cv boot.

if iwas to remove the tripod using a grinder as suggested how would i reattach it.

also renault have qouted for a boot kit for it but was about £40+vat.

ITB'd MK1
they do quote for it, but the wrong one turns up, every time. I had one wrongly supplied that I sold on to Foxy recently.

They'll give you this one
IMAG0032-1.jpg

New shaft FTW

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
new shaft it is then, will only be using it for a while till i sort a wide track out

thanks for the help Danny

Id say new shaft too - a lot less hassle! My tripod thing had a circlip then just tapped it off gently, came off really easy. 172 shaft though so probably different.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
from what i can tell its a rareish shaft (no proper mention of it in haynes) and its not the original. it has a abs ring when i don't have abs :S

all this because the old downpipe slipped out my hand and decided to take the cv boot with it.

more cash:(